Camp Carnival - Concerns

avandrie

(Posted on the Carnival side of the site, and decided to repeat the post here just in case)

On our last cruise our daughter comfortably fell into the 6-8 year old camp carnival group and she loved it. This go around she'll be 10, and graduating to the 9-11 camp.

The fact of the matter is - we're absolutely too paranoid about allowing our daughter to check herself in/out of camp. Perhaps I'm biased, paranoid, and cynic but my daughter is beautiful, gullible and I'm not going to allow the opportunity that some freak might snatch her up, do terrible things to her and then throw her overboard. Did I mention that I'm paranoid and cynic? Perhaps it's because I'm married to a cop and hear awful stories every day. :rolleyes:

So here are my concerns - it looked like (from our April 2010 cruise) the majority of parents aren't crazy-paranoid like me and allowed their children to run the ship. Is that the standard for kids in the 9-11 class? Will she be all by her lonesome with nobody to play with? Will she still get to go swimming - or is that even supervised? We'll be on the Pride and they don't have a pool nearby. Will this limit the time we have that Camp Carnival will watch her because they only cater to activities (scavenger hunts) that allow the kids to run a muck? :confused:

Thanks for entertaining my questions, and for not thrashing me too hard about being a teensy bit over the top. :D

You don't have to give permission for your daughter to leave on her own, and if you did, you don't have to allow her to "run the ship"....at 10, it's a good age to allow her to try a bit of freedom. Like, you could allow her to leave the club and come directly to where you will be. Or, if you're at the pool, she could be allowed to go to the buffet to get a drink, and then return to you. At some point, you HAVE to allow a child to do things on their own, or they will never learn how to do it!

I wouldn't allow my child to just run all over the ship, with no destination or purpose, but if you're "crazy-paranoid"....your child will become that way, too....surely not what you want for your daughter!

So, allow your daughter to show you that she's NOT as "gullible" as you think she might be! Trust, but verify!

You don't have to give permission for your daughter to leave on her own, and if you did, you don't have to allow her to "run the ship"....at 10, it's a good age to allow her to try a bit of freedom. Like, you could allow her to leave the club and come directly to where you will be. Or, if you're at the pool, she could be allowed to go to the buffet to get a drink, and then return to you. At some point, you HAVE to allow a child to do things on their own, or they will never learn how to do it!

I wouldn't allow my child to just run all over the ship, with no destination or purpose, but if you're "crazy-paranoid"....your child will become that way, too....surely not what you want for your daughter!

So, allow your daughter to show you that she's NOT as "gullible" as you think she might be! Trust, but verify!

If I had a boy, I think I would feel differently. Funny huh? But again, since my DH is a cop and I hear horrible stories with children involved, I'm a little tight reined on her. She's got a good heart, but because she's got a condition called PANDAS (that's another story), I think I'll err on the side of caution and make sure she stays put.

I suppose I just need to cross my fingers that CC will be prepared to keep those kids not allowed to check themselves in/out well entertained. :o

Heyyyyy nice to meet another biased, paranoid and cynical mom with a beautiful daughter! :D

I wrote this EXACT same post 2 years ago on this board. I swear! I could probably go searching and pull it up for you. ;) And wasn't I shocked :eek:, surprised and flabbergasted when I found out that my daughter wouldn't be allowed to participate in the 9-11 year old activities like the SCAVENGER HUNTS because I was planning on not giving her sign in/out privledges. :eek: Yes, my daughter almost fainted!

Carnival has a policy that for the children of the paranoid parents who are not given signing in/out privledges in the 9-11 year old group then they are transferred to the :eek: BABY GROUP -- no, not really, but the 6-8 year old group or heaven forbid the 2-5's if the 6-8s are out and about during the scavenger hunts.

So, my beautiful daughter and I compromised. :D I gave her signing in/out privledges and she promised NEVER to use them without me. She was allowed to sign in/out for the scavenger hunts (which were group activities). And for everything else, I would MEET her at designated times and walk her from the camp to our cabin. She was never alone. I knew where she was at all times. I didn't think a 9 year old needed to be wandering the ship alone. Everything worked out fine.

The "Swimming Under The Stars" -- yes, they do have counselors there. They are supervised -- to a point.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to help you. From one paranoid parent to another. lol

My dd is almost 13. When she was 10, she was only allowed to sign herself out if her older brother or I picked her up - or if she was with a counselor. ;) We sailed Carnival at that age and for the late night party, a counselor walked them back to the cabin.

On the Glory, a lot of the activities took place in lounges, so it was a little difficult to find her, but we managed. :cool:

Even now at age 13, she can only leave the kids club by herself if it's before dinner. She's not allowed to be by herself after dinner.

Her older brother (ds15) has had very few restrictions in the 5 years we've been cruising, but he's a home body and spends most of his time in the cabin. He's rather smelly and surly, not to mention muscular and tall - I don't think anyone would want him. :D

My kids (11,13,15) were allowed to sign in and out but they had restrictions. I also made sure my younger daughter was eye catching to the staff and other passengers. She's AA and we cornrowed florescent yellow, pink and orange "hair" into hers. EVERYBODY knew who she was and where she belonged.:D

So, my beautiful daughter and I compromised. :D I gave her signing in/out privledges and she promised NEVER to use them without me. She was allowed to sign in/out for the scavenger hunts (which were group activities). And for everything else, I would MEET her at designated times and walk her from the camp to our cabin. She was never alone. I knew where she was at all times. I didn't think a 9 year old needed to be wandering the ship alone. Everything worked out fine.
Exactly what we did with our son when he started in the 9-11 group - we gave him sign in/out privileges so he could do the scavenger hunts, but we'd drop him off for Camp Carnival activities and meet him when the activities were over. That also has the advantage of not having to wait in line with parents who didn't give sign-in/out privileges (OP, there are a fair number). We still do that for the most part, but there have been times when we're doing some activity and we tell him to sign himself out and go directly to our cabin. He's good about that.

We have a funny story about allowing our son to sign out by himself, though. On our February 2010 cruise on Conquest, we signed up for the "Behind the Fun" tour, which was scheduled on the last sea day. Camp Carnival was scheduled to end at noon, and "Behind the Fun" was scheduled to end at 12:15. As we instructed, he went right back to our cabin at noon to wait for us to take him to lunch. Now, one of the gifts they give you as part of the tour is a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries, which are delivered to your cabin toward the end of the tour. Son arrived back at our cabin and lo and behold, there was a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries! By the time DH and I got to the cabin after the tour, there was one left for us to share, and son wasn't very hungry for lunch.:p

On our last cruise on Carnival DS was 9 and I only gave him sign out privledges to do the scavenger hunt. He had very strict rules not to ever sign himself out except for the scavenger hunt and we also had rules about what he could do on the scavenger hunt - not go in anyones cabin, etc,.

We went through the same questions/worries with our oldest DD (now 14 and in the teen club:eek:). We finally compromised and gave her permission to sign herself out for the scavenger hunts - ONLY. They are group activities, so the kids are not roaming the ship alone.

We also have the same rules that were mentioned earlier - no one in our cabins when we're not in the room and no entering someone else's cabin. On our last Inspiration cruise there was one girl who was 11 whose parents didnt give permission to sign herself out. She sat with the counselors in the lounge waiting for the kids to return.

DD knows that DH & I (and friends we cruise with) are likely to drop by the area where activities are being held. It may embarass her, but she knows if she breaks the rules then she has to spend the rest of the cruise doing everything with her parents.

I denied permission for my 11 year old to sign herself out. It wasn't ever an issue in any way, shape or form. I wasn't comfortable with it, she was fine with that decision. As much as my kids LOVE camp, we've never done a scavenger hunt and it's not even on purpose, they just weren't interested. Done deal.

My DS is much younger (6mo), but I think that I'm in the group with the parents that will not allow there pre-teen to sign themselves out of the kids club. Please forgive the ignorance, but when on the scavenger hunts do they let the kids wander the ship alone looking for the items? Are there groups or counselors? That sounds scary.

I denied permission for my 11 year old to sign herself out. It wasn't ever an issue in any way, shape or form. I wasn't comfortable with it, she was fine with that decision. As much as my kids LOVE camp, we've never done a scavenger hunt and it's not even on purpose, they just weren't interested. Done deal.

Did your daughter still have a good time despite the other kids checking themselves out - did she find herself alone? Any problems with the counselors?

The 6-8 year old class was really great - counselors were very engaged with the children. I know our DD is going to be popping her head into the class to see if any of her old counselors are still there.

Woodmnky - This makes me feel less guilty knowing I am in good company! On the scavenger hunts, based on the responses I've read, it sounds like they go in groups of 4 (kids) - no adult supervision. They're told not to knock on doors and the like, but I've read where the kids ignored that rule. Plus you have to hope that the kids get along and won't strand your kid or be hateful to your kid and bully them. I'd like to believe we live in a perfect world where children on vacation are total angels, but after going last April - I know better. They were obnoxious (see my trip review in my signature).

Since I don't believe Carnival runs background checks on their guests, and I'm certain don't monitor for pedophiles and other fruit loops, I'm going to err on the side of caution and not allow my daughter to check herself in/out. If she's not having fun, then we'll just let her hang out with the big kids (us)! :D

Did your daughter still have a good time despite the other kids checking themselves out - did she find herself alone? Any problems with the counselors?

The 6-8 year old class was really great - counselors were very engaged with the children. I know our DD is going to be popping her head into the class to see if any of her old counselors are still there.

I don't remember if there were other kids there, or whether we just did something else with her at the time the hunt was going on. No problems whatsoever with the counselors, I just make sure to remind them of the situation. As far as the counselors being engaged with the kids, neither of my kids have ever had any complaints about them and have loved Camp.

avandrie - you probably aren't going to like this, however, consider yourself forwarned. ;) My daughter had STRICT instructions "No going into anyone else's cabin"

So I drop her off at Camp for one of her many scavenger hunts (there were 4 on our short 5 day cruise)

So there I am, standing on the balcony with 2 other parents from Cruise Critic and who comes running in the doorway but MY DAUGHTER :eek:. I do a double take because my smart child couldn't possibly be disobeying "RULE #1 - NO GOING INTO CABINS!"

And I say "WHAT are you doing here?"

And she says "We are on the scavenger hunt and it says we need a towel animal, a pair of sunglasses, long pants, swim suit -- so everyone is waiting in the hall and I wasn't allowed in THEIR cabin -- so I brought them to mine" :o

So be advised -- when you WARN your child "No cabins" make sure you specify "your own" as well. :rolleyes:

To their credit, the kids did all wait in the hall for her. And they were only doing what the counselors asked them to find. But then I was mad that the counselors asked them to find things like a "towel animal" -- something that they would have to go to the rooms for. :mad:

I think CCL should really look into those scavenger hunts and revamp them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not even sure I want my 14 year old son signing himself out. He is mild Autistic and has no sense of danger. So with that said... I am uneasy. I also have a daughter who will have just turned 10. I wasn't going to allow her sign in or out privileges... I also have a 7 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. So I will be going to camp to drop off and pick them up.

By the way, I am married to a cop too. I am very paranoid about things regarding kids too and he is very much the other way. I guess we balance each other out.

I am not even sure I want my 14 year old son signing himself out. He is mild Autistic and has no sense of danger. So with that said... I am uneasy. I also have a daughter who will have just turned 10. I wasn't going to allow her sign in or out privileges... I also have a 7 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. So I will be going to camp to drop off and pick them up.

By the way, I am married to a cop too. I am very paranoid about things regarding kids too and he is very much the other way. I guess we balance each other out.

With your 14 year old son, you are going to have a problem because there is no such thing as "signing in/out" for the teen program. He won't need your permission. So in his case, you may want to contact the special access/needs department in advance and see if there is something you can do -- like making up a sign in/out for him. Or have him moved down to a lower age group.

If you do contact them, I would be interested in knowing what they say -- or come back and give us your experiences after the cruise.

My youngest has issues and that was my biggest problem with Carnival. I couldn't get any help with her. Had better luck on other lines.

We had a similar issue with my friend's daughter on our cruise. We let the counsellors know the scoop and they just kept an eye peeled as to what was going on and her whereabouts. You may want to see if you can make the same arrangements.

We went on Carnival last October. My son was 9 1/2, we knew all about the signing in and out process before hand and we discussed with him AT LENGTH that he was allowed to sign himself out ONLY for the scavenger hunts (they are in groups) and that was IT. I told him if we found he had signed himself out during any other time, he would be stuck in the room eating peanut butter and jelly the rest of the cruise. My children do listen to me, and the threat was really only to add a big explamation point.

The cruise went GREAT, and he followed the rules to a tee, and was happy to do so. Other parents did let their kids sign in and out at will, and I didn't feel comfortable with it. It's a floating city, basically, and I wouldn't let my children run around a city by themselves....

You need to do what is right for your family, and daughter, and set the ground rules.....have a fun cruise!

P/S My son LOVED Camp Carnival and can't wait to go back in February 2012, my daughter is so psyched to be in the bigger kids group (she'll be 7) and not with the 2 year olds anymore!!!

I actually asked Carnival about my son when I booked the cruise. They did inform me that he could go down a level in camp and made a note of it in my reservation. If he goes down a level, he'll be with my daughter. I do believe that I could give him a provision and he'd stick to it but I can't decide on that now just yet. Carnival seems to be very accomodating to those with special needs which I appreciate.

My daughter turns 12, two months before our cruise. My son will be 9. So basically they will both be at the younger age in their group. This our first cruise. We are going to have to figure out some ground rules for the 12 year old. I can't give my 9 year old sign out privileges, I guess we will have to figure out the scavenger hunt, if he even wants to do it. Due to his issues, I could move him down a level if needed, but I will have to see what is best for him.

I do have a question though, if you identify a special need to Carnival, does that mean that you will not be allowed to leave them in Camp Carnival while you go in port.

Glad I found this board! I have a question regarding moving the kids down to the lower age group. We are sailing on the Carnival Dream on 10/1 - I have 3 children, 4, 6 & 14. I know my 14 year old is on her own, but I did have a question about her anyway ~ Do they have ANY structure or scheduled activies at all for this age group? I am just concered that if not, how do they actually end up "mingling" with others their ages. Just speaking for her, since i know she is a girl to begin with, and quite shy to top it off, she wouldn't go up to someone unless she's "placed" that way to speak. Make sense?? :p

Then My boys ~ Where to Begin. My 4 year old JUST turned 4 and my 6 old isn't quite 6 yet, we still have a month to go, so he'll have been just 6 for under 2 months. Both are special needs. My 4 year has severe anxiety and huge social phobia. My 6 year old has very high functioning Aspergers and Oral Motor apraxia, which again makes social situations hard becuase other children his age do not understand him. Would I be able to move our 6 year old down with the younger kids? It would help the 4 year old with the social aspect of it, knowing someone coming in, and Caden might feel better if he is with younger children who "might" better understand and not exactly question why he can't talk right all the time?

Any suggestions. I was hoping to just go with the flow of this, but the closer we get, the more nervious I get. Both have sensory needs, and require heavy lifting (we have weighted blankets) and are bothered by too loud of noises, again why I think the older kids might be too much for my 6 year old to handle.

Sorry for the book!

Kym

Adventure of the Sea 10/2003

Navigator of the Sea 11/2004

Carnival Sensation 10/2009

Carnival Dream 10/2011

kym - I WISH I could say "Hey no problem!" but the camp carnival counselors weren't really that understanding with my youngest -- she has some of the same issues as your 6 year old.

They should let him move down. SHOULD -- not saying they will. They did allow us to move some of our kids around when we had siblings in our group that wanted to stay together.

I can say that it ALL DEPENDS on the counselors on the ship that week. You can get really lucky and have a really understanding counselor that will work with you (we had that on RCI Grandeur). On the flip side, you can have counselors that don't understand special needs children and shouldn't be employed near children (as we had on Carnival Triumph).

I go into every cruise with the same thoughts. I hope that the kids have a great time and no one is injured. ;) If we have to spend time away from the camps (as much as my kids love the camps) then we have to adjust and be flexible.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the reply Michele! I think I am going to call carnival and make them aware as much as I can in advance of the situation. Not that it will do anygood in the future, but any advance notice is always good news for us. Do you happen to know if there is a specific "special needs" number to call for Carnival in general? And I agree, ALL counslers should be trained for not just typical, but special needs children as well.

Thanks for the reply Michele! I think I am going to call carnival and make them aware as much as I can in advance of the situation. Not that it will do anygood in the future, but any advance notice is always good news for us. Do you happen to know if there is a specific "special needs" number to call for Carnival in general? And I agree, ALL counslers should be trained for not just typical, but special needs children as well.

The email is specialneeds@carnival.com

Looking for a phone number (besides for the 1-800-Carnival) If there is one, I will be back to post it. :D

Children with Special Needs info:

•In order to join Carnival Youth Experience activities, the parent or legal guardian will need to fill out a registration form.

•Parent or guardian will also be given an alternate special needs checklist, which will help aid the Youth Programming Staff in how to best serve your child while participating in activities. This checklist specifies what behaviors are sometimes displayed, and ways in which to help dissipate them.

Children with special needs have the option to move down one age group if this will help them better adapt to the environment.

•We do not provide one-on-one attention, but if this is necessary, the parent or guardian is welcome to stay and participate with the child during activity times.

•Parents of children with special needs will be provided with a beeper or phone.

•Camp Carnival’s Important Information rules still apply to all children, in terms of administration of medication, illness, hours and unacceptable behavior while at Camp.

•The Youth Programming Staff may not administer any medication and/or needles to any child participating in the Youth Activity Program. Additionally, no medications, with the exception of epi-pens, diabetic testing equipment and inhalers are permitted in the playroom. If your child requires regular medication

while attending Camp Carnival, parents must return to administer that medication.

•Should a child still be in diapers, and they are older/bigger than what the diaper-changing table can hold, then the parent or legal guardian will be called to assist.

•Youth Programming Staff cannot lift children with mobility disabilities.

•Since the Youth Programming Staff are not able to provide one-on-one assistance, children will need to be able to feed themselves. In the event that a child needs to be fed, a parent or guardian may remain with the child during dinner, or bring the child to activities following the dinner service.

Archived