YOUR PERFECT DAY in Florence?

winncruiser

what would you do on your day in Florence? I have been there a few times and done the tours...my sister, who will be travelling with me in September, has never been to Florence. What do you think are absolute must sees? thank you kindly for your suggestions!

My absolute favorite thing to see in Florence is David...he is absolutely beautiful! It is amazing that Michaelangelo was able to capture, in such spendid detail, the spectacular depiction of the mythological David. Every time I see him he takes my breath away!

Wow, I love Florence, so a day in Florence is a perfect day for me. ;) But... if I had to choose, I would start at Piazza Signoria, then go to the Duomo (just see the outside unless the line is super short). You kind of have to see David, then a good, cheap lunch and gelato at my favorite gelato place near Santa Croce. Then, I'd walk across the river and take pics in front of the Ponte Vecchio, head up to the Pitti Palace, then make sure I made it to Piazzale Michaelangelo for sunset (gorgeous).

If I had the day in Florence I would certainly go see Michaelangelo's David at the University, then to Santa Croce to peruse the tombs and crypts of the famous (Michaelangelo, Fermi, Gallielo, Dante, Machiavelli, Marconi). Then to the Duomo, a few leather shops along the way in Santa Croce Plaza, and the Uffuzi Museum to see the masterpieces of Leonardo and Tintoretto.

Even though I've done everything here but see David, I could go back tomorrow.:)

For me it's not Florence unless I climb to the top of the dome at the Duomo. It's as up close and personal as you can get with both the art and architecture of Florence, and it has the added bonus of the view at the end.

Second on my list is climbing from the Ponte Vecchio up to San Miniato. The walk goes from the business of town, to the quiet up near Ft. Belvedere, then up and up and up what feels like the longest staircase on earth until you reach the base of San Miniato. The church and its cemetery are beautiful.

Before anyone goes to Florence, I recommend reading BRUNELLESCHI'S DOME: HOW A RENAISSANCE GENIUS REINVENTED ARCHITECTURE by Ross King. (Available in book and Kindle versions). I'm not an architect or an engineer -- or even a scientist -- but I found this book to be a fascinating and easy to understand explanation of the way the dome was built along with lots of human interest info. (King has written several books about the making of other Italian masterpieces; I've also enjoy MICHAELANGELO AND THE POPE'S CEILING about the Sistene Chapel.)

I'd start with a taxi ride to San Miniato. Love the place on its own merits, but the vistas are lovely. Incidentally, I take a taxi since I want to save my energy for a long day of walking; I'm happy to walk down but not up. Returning to the Oltra Arno, I'd visit the Brancacci Chapel in the Carmelite Church to see the frescoes that mark the birth of Renaissance painting.

I'd cross the Ponte Vecchio and head to the Accademia and David. I know visitors can see copies that were created using measurements to the milimeter, but there's something about the original that sets it apart. Definitely worth the hassle of getting tickets in advance and, even then, waiting in the line. Note: If it's hot, pop into Carabe for wonderful Sicilian lemon granita. This place also sells gelato, but plenty of other places do gelato well. Carabe's specialty is granita.

As I've often posted I'm happier at the Bargello than the Ufizzi. I don't like seeing my art through 1 1/2 plates of plexiglass with the reflection of everyone in the room interfering with the art itself. Especially visit the two bronze panels by Ghiberti and Brunelleschi, the two finalists in the competition for the Baptistry doors of the Duomo. See if you agree with the judges' final choice.

Now, visit the Duomo and the Baptistry. Perche No? makes a great stop for gelato in this section of town.

Now, the choices get overwhelming. I could add one or two more sites, but to me a visit wouldn't be complete without a lovely Tuscan meal., I recommend Quattro Leoni in the Oltra Arno or Leo in Santa Croce for bistecca Fiorentina or Osteria Benci both near the Santa Croce church. (Osteria dei Benci is around the corner from another fabulous gelato shop, Gelateria Benci.)

Take your sister to the Uffizi Gallery late in the day so you will be there at the 6:50 pm closing, right about sunset time. It's spectacular to stand in the galleries overlooking the Arno River, watching the sun sink lower and lower in the sky, casting that wonderful golden glow over the city. And to do it surrounded by such glorious art is just icing on the cake.

Same thing could be said about being in the Piazza Michaelangelo sitting on the steps watching the sunset. Bring a bottle of wine with you to toast to the end of a beautiful day in a beautiful city. ;)

Archived