Alternative Lamanai tour guide

cruiser-sha

I tried to book Island Marketing for Lamanai tour for four people, at first they confirmed the reservation, later that day I got an e-mail from them that they do not service the Marina. Doesn't make sense to me, they do not want to conduct tours for a ship where they may make more revenue??? Has anyone else had a problem like this. The other tour companies approach the cost of Oceania's tour so we will probably just do their tour and not worry about a long day and getting back i time.

FYI - Island Marketing is also saying tours they typically run to Xunantunich ruins are unavailable on September 14th. It sounds like their tour availability is becoming pretty unreliable considering the number of other posts with different dates of no availability.

I guess we'll find out how the tour to Lamanai went next week as airlink diva should have taken it yesterday!

Hi Vermonter16 just got off the Dream this morning!

I will have pictures online later in the week. I'm still in Florida (for the next few days).

I have mixed feelings about the Lamanai tour. I did the tour with Island Marketing.

The Good

Our guide "D boy" was great. He gave us alot of info about Belize city and Belize itself enroute to the cruise. Once on site at the ruins, he also had alot of info about the ruins and able to answer any questions.

The boat ride was also alot of fun. Collin, our boat driver really knows his way along the river. He knew which way to turn, avoiding shallow water and always on the lookout for wildlife. When possible, he stop to show us something. While we didn't see alot of wildlife (hey they are on their own timeframe not ours :D) the ride is alot of fun.

The lunch was good also.

What portion of the ruins that we got to see were amazing. There is still so much that still not unearth (there are alot of mounds) so the true scope of Lamanai may never be known.

The OK

You are riding in a old school bus. There were a/c and the seats were slightly lumpy. But since the bus wasn't half full, there were plenty of room the spread out.

The Bad What really made me mad about Island Marketing was placing two ships with two different times together. We were really rushed and only saw three ruins fully and one in a rush back to the boat. We got back with only 20 minutes for the last ferry with the earlier ship. While my ship still had over a hour to depart, the people on the other ship was getting very nervous.

If Island Marketing do the tour with only one ship, I feel that it would be worth it. But by combining with a ship arriving a hour later and having the earlier ship people wait wasn't fair to either. They also state that they need at least four people from each ship to do the tour. There should had been two tours instead of one.

That definitely has given me a lot to think about. DH really wanted to see these ruins but I know he won't be happy with being rushed at all and neither would I. Thanks for your honest insight into this excursion. I really do appreciate that! Not quite sure what we will do - really have to think on this one!

Here's my full review Vermonter16 of my Lamanai tour.

Like I stated, what part of the ruins that I saw was fascinating.

Since I was on a non ship tour, I made sure to arrive for non ship tour tender tickets early. I was on the first non ship tender to port.

Once in the port area, it was easy to find Island Marketing agent. He directed me to their office. I paid my remaining balance and used the bathroom. After 30 minutes my tour group was called together and we headed to the bus. Half of the people were from the Carnival Dream and the other half from Carnival Legend.

The bus was an old US school bus. The air was good and the seats slightly lumpy. Since the bus was half full, there was plenty space for everyone.

Our tour guide, D-Boy introduce himself and during our drive in Belize City gave us info about Belize City,Belize, the people and the history of Belize. The bus ride was about 50 minutes. When we reached the New River, we got a chance to use the restroom.

We then got to the dock and the boat.

2925642090100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

We then met our boat captain Collin. The boat is an open boat with limited shading. Since it was a cloudy day, it wasn't bad. If the day is sunny, you will need a hat. After balancing the boat (some people had to move) we headed up the New River.

Collin headed up the New River turning here and there. Collin and D boy kept an eye for wildlife. Wildlife have a mind of their own so we didn't see nothing but birds. The ride was so much fun,esp sit in the back!

2635611340100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

We did have traffic on the river including this man and his child.

2712756080100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

We also past by the Mennonite area

2457824240100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

In about 50 minutes, we reach Lamanai

2799542440100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

You walk down a dock and see the main welcome sign

2415408290100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

2844394450100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

We then had a lunch of stewed chicken, peas and rice, plantains, cole slaw and soda. The food was good. Sorry that I started to eat before taking a picture.

2623093660100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

After eating we headed to the ruins. The first stop was a map of the Lamanai ruins. D-boy gave us a brief history of the site and what to look for.

2990791690100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

One important note, please bring plenty of bug spray!! The bugs give no mercy!!!

Our first stop was the Temple of the Jaguar. D-boy gave great insight about the temple.

2198685740100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

Can you see the Jaguar?

2619758020100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

One thing is there are so many mounds all about the area. These are ruins that are unexcavated. It possible that the full scope of Lamanai may never be known.

We headed to the ball court next.

2792370440100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

Our next stop was the high temple

2111390240100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

Those who wish to climb it, were allowed. I didn't do so,but my fellow cruisers who did said the view was incredible.

2057728940100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

While at the bottom, a local was enjoying the sun

2821173220100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

Our time was running tight and we had to head back to Belize City. We only got a quick view and talk about Stela 9

2171827010100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

2664884330100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

Since the Legend had to leave at an early time, we headed back to the boat and up the river. A picture of Collin

2227294620100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

I hope that give anyone who thinking about visiting Lamanai some idea of the ruins and if you have any questions, please ask!

According to the Cruise TT calendar, the Legend and Dream were supposed to be in Belize on different days. (The 6th for the Dream and the 8th for the Legend). But a different website I checked showed that both ships were scheduled to port on the 7th. Is it possible that there was a late itinerary change for the ships that caused the timing problem that you noted? Maybe Island Marketing had to scramble to accomodate everyone, and the timing just didn't work out the way everyone would have wanted. (Or maybe the Cruise TT site is wrong and the ships were supposed to be in port at the same time all along.:confused:)

my questions:

what was the hours your ship was in port?

(we are sailing the Legend and in port from 8am til 5pm - ship time NOT island time)

there is a reason that Lamana ruins is not part of the cruiselines excursions because of how far it is.

How long did it take (round trip)?

As much as I would love to do these ruins-- I do not think the time frame will allow me to do so this trip.

20 minutes before the ship sailed or 20 minutes before you were supposed to be onboard?

we will have to be onboard by 4:30 with a 20 minute tender ride.

First of all, thanks Jjtmes6, Wildgrits, and Mishamax for your kind words!

I like coming back giving info, especially with pictures. This gives great insight! Besides, this is what this website is for, to help each other enjoy our cruise even better!

JimmyVWine I guess a change was made at the last minute for the Legend. Regardless, it still wasn't fair to the people on the Legend to wait a little over a hour for our ship and people to arrive, rush when arriving at the site to eat and view and rush back to the ship with about 35 minutes before departure.:(

Serene 56, the Dream ship time was 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.

Now I can't tell you why Carnival don't offer a tour to Lamanai because cruiselines like NCL and Princess do (D-boy mentioned that they also do the ship tours for these cruiselines) and since Carnival have ship tours to Xunantunich which is a two hour bus ride each way, it can't be because of the distance from the port.

Now we stayed on ship time even though local time was different (D-boy told us not to change from our ship time!!! On the e-mail Island Marketing sent, it had both times on it.

It took close to two hours each way. Island Marketing stated a total of six hours for the tour.

The guides keep up with the time and we left to head back to the port. It was kind of tight with us arriving back at 3:55 p.m. So the Legend people got back with 35 minutes to spare.

I only thing was the fact that two ship with different times were placed together. I would use a local vendor,but double check to see if they are combining you with others. We were rushed on eating and viewing because of this.

Airlink Diva - I have been out of town but recently got back so I was suprised to see you'd posted even more details! Thank you! I can't currently view the pictures but I will be able to when I use a different computer. I can't wait - you've still got me thinking!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody

I'm going with my husband on our first cruise with Carnival Valor ( from Miami) 10/30/2011-11/6/2011. We will be in Belize on November 3. I've been trying to make reservation trip to Lamanai ruins by many websites, but I only received messages that this trip is not available. I'm really disappointed and curious if someone else has similar problem?

Archived