Alaska on Carnival

CanWeGoYet?

Just wondering what tips there might be for cruising Alaska on CCL. I have cruised several times before but never an Alaska cruise.

I've read that HAL serves hot soup and cocoa on deck. Does Carnival do anything like this?

Please list your tips for doing an Alaska cruise, esp. if it's specific to CCL. It's all new to me so I'll appreciate any info you have to offer.

Not specific to CCL, but:

Bring lots of layers for clothing. When we went in July 2009 we had a warm, sunny week (temps in the 70's) but generally it is cooler/rainer.

If you can afford a balcony, get one. This is a scenery intensive cruise. There's nothing better than sitting out on your balcony with your morning coffee watching eagles and glaciers.

On the Spirit there is a sliding dome roof over the pool, so you can use it even if the weather is cold. The water seemed to be heated when we went. Our week was nice enough that the dome was open some days.

Bring cameras for everyone, and extra camera cards or a laptop to download them onto.

The excursions are pricey, but you can see some really cool stuff. The train in Skagway is particularly good. When we went whale watching in Juneau we saw literally dozens of whales. We booked through CCL because we were newbies, but there may be better deals out there if you look (try the ports of call boards here or TripAdvisor dot com).

Thanks Megmno, I will pack plenty of clothes for layers ( I always overpack!) and even have some ski pants & thermal layers I got for my trip to Iceland.

Good to know the pool will be covered. I don't suppose this is the part that has the waterslide is it? It's something I still need to do but don't know if I'll be able to accomplish that on this cruise.

I booked a balcony & likely will be going on white pass train for Skagway.

Another option to the White Pass in Skagway is to rent a car for the day, and drive up into Canada. We were able to see most of the same scenery and stop when we wanted for photo opportunities. We went to Emerald Lake and turned around. It was a few years ago, but I think the cost was about $50.00 for the rental, plus gas. There are posts about it on the Alaska Destinations page. It was one our favorite outings.

• 4 weeks later...

A balcony is a MUST on an Alaskan cruise! we saw sea life everyday. Make sure to bring binoculors for everyone in the cabin :)

Hot cocoa is served 24/7 but don't recall soup (but didn't look).

We had a warm week when we were on the Spirit last July so layers are good. We brought scarves and mittens and never used them but could have used a tank top when we went to the Yukon.

We took a tour through Dyea Dave in Skagway for $80pp. It was by far the best excursion in all of my cruising. We went all the way to the Yukon. could have taken the train back for an extra fee but decided against it as I felt we could see more with Dave. He stopped at numerous photo oportunities and was a lot of fun. My teenagers also enjoyed it - so that says alot!

In Juneau we booked a tour after we got off the ship to go to the Glacier - about half the price from the ships price.

Have a great time!!

You are going to really enjoy going to Alaska with Carnival! My husband and I went a year ago, and we are STILL talking about how wonderful a time we had!!!

Hmmm what advice can I share? Let's see...

• Definitely watch the weather a week before you sail and pack accordingly. You will probably not need ski pants, but definitely pack at least one waterproof jacket, a fleece jacket, and a long sleeved shirt.
  • We packed hiking boots that were waterproof, and found that sneakers worked much better for Skagway believe it or not!
  • I second the motion to book a balcony if you can. We took advantage of ours every waking moment! Our most memorable times were while Spirit was going through Tracy Arm Fijord - my friend's husband and mine took a camera to one of the upper decks to take pictures, and his wife and I stayed on our long double extended balcony (we had the divider opened as soon as we boarded), and we hung out there while having a scrumptious lunch and watched the scenery unfold from there! Awesome times!
  • You will do much better with excursions if you book them privately. We saved at least 50% over the ship's price for the White Pass and Yukon journey (we booked with Chilkoot tours and had a blast!), and we got to see things that we might have missed being on a motor coach!
  • Juneau and Ketchikan are quaint shipping villages that you can definitely book on your own. We got off Spirit at both stops, went to the Visitor's Center, and were able to book a whalewatch (Juneau) and a city tour (Ketchikan) without any problems - and we had a blast on both of them1
  • Victoria BC is a total waste of time, but is a necessary evil due to the Jones Act. This little piece of legislation states that if a cruise starts and ends in the US, it must touch foreign soil for x number of hours. By the time you get there (at least 7pm), the sun will be setting and your choices will be limited. We walked to the downtown district (about 1/2 hour to get there from the ship), and we had just enough time to walk around the Empress Hotel (home of the famous High Tea), see a couple of boats leave the downtown docks, and take pictures of the various government building. We did not go to Buschard Gardens as we wanted to see the flowers in daytime not under artificial lights.
  • Embarkation did not take long at all. We got to the terminal around 10:30am and were onboard by 11:15am. Cabins were ready around 1:30pm, muster was at 3:30pm, and we were on our way by 4:15pm.
  • The seas were very rough the first night, and the ship really rocked as we made our way around the Vancouver Strait. After that, it was pretty much smooth sailing.
  • Service on board was wonderful. We had Your Time Dining, and never had a problem getting a table for four. We liked our wait staff the first night so much that we decided to have them the entire cruise!
  • The food.. omg I have never eaten so much incredible seafood!!! Fresh Pacific Cod... Halibut.. Salmon... Crab Legs (my husband's favorite)... all of it was incredible! Of course the typical cruise food was available (St Louis Ribs, Surf & Turf, etc), and all of it was yummy!
  • The Steakhouse was fantastic as always, and the night we went, there were a ton of whales breaching the water on both sides of the ship! Suggestion: one person orders the twin lobster tails and one person orders the porterhouse steak - this way, you get 12 oz of red meat with your lobster tail. And if you're a chocoholic, the Chocolate Sampler is TO DIE for!!!
  • Since you live in Seattle, you will have an easy time getting home. We always suggest to friends to either stay overnight (and leave Seattle the next day) or to book a flight home as late as possible, as the airport was an absolute ZOO when we left. Thankfully we took advantage of Carnival checking me in for our flight home (my husband works for Southwest Airlines and he was able to get the fourth jumpseat). The lines to drop off luggage was bad both curbside, as well as at the ticket counter, and thankfully we didn't have too long of a wait (45 minutes).

Hope this helps out!!!

Last year we sailed Spirit on her Mexican Riviera itinerary in an Aft wrap stateroom (Vista Suite). She is a wonderful ship. During that cruise I mentioned to my wife wouldn't this huge balcony be great in Alaska. She agreed hands down. Consequently, we are booked on her for her May 15, 2012 Alaska sailing. It will be our 8th cruise to Alaska. We are also booked in Sept 2012 for an Alaska B2B Pacific Coast cruise on Millennium.

On another thread there is discussion about a tour that is exclusive to Carnival in Tracy Arm Fjord. I believer it because I have never seen it offered on other cruise lines. This tour involves boarding a catamaran that has pulled up to the Spirit. Once all tour guest are on board the vessel takes its passengers very, very close to the glacier and various other areas. It is a way to get up close and personal with nature. This tour is so popular it's typically sold out before you even get on the ship. You can reserve this tour on Carnival's website, with no upfront cost!!! They charge it to your cruise card account once on board, which I think is a great offer!! We reserved this tour for May.

In Ketchikan, I very highly recommend booking a float plane tour with Island Wings. This company is nothing short of the best. It is owned and operated by Michelle who is a superb pilot. She lands on a lake high in the mountains, lets you get off onto land where there is utter and complete silence. Not a sound of any kind. There is nothing like it. It is an awesome event and a never forget memory. Worth every single penny and then some.

Also in Ketchikan be sure to visit the Artic Bar. The owner is a crazy lady that will keep you in stitches with her funny personality and wit. Her Bloody Marys are awesome. There is also an old fashion hamburger joint across that street which makes homemade hamburgers that are to write home about. You can order right from the bar and they deliver.

Another must see in Ketchikan is Dolly's House on the Creek. Dolly was the Madam of this gold rush era bordello.

The train in Skagway is great at least to do once. It is pricey in my opinion but worth it for a one time experience. Also in Skagway, be sure to visit the Red Onion. It was also a bordello during the gold rush era. It's fun to eat lunch and have a drink there.

In Juneau a visit to the Red Dog Saloon is a must do. They have saw dust on the floor and good entertainment. Another place for a drink and lunch.

We did a helicopter tour from Juneau one time. The helicopters land on a glacier where you walk around and there is a mush dog kennel you visit. IMO it was not worth the money. The only thing that made it special was a friend and I took two martini glasses with us along with some vodka and vermouth. We chipped some ice off the glacier and pour ourselves a martini to celebrate!! It was fun...except some of the ice had bits of gravel in it....not good!!

There is also a dog sled ride offered in most of the ports. Friends have done this and raved. The cost is $400-$500pp...way too costly for us.

My wife and I LOVE Alaska canch ya tell???

Bob

I loved our Alaskan cruise on Carnival Spirit and I wouldn't trade that vacation for anything. I would say, make sure the itinerary fits your dream. We booked Carnival because I felt it was the best bang for the buck, but when we go back, I will make sure we do a one way trip that includes Glacier Bay and either begins or ends near Anchorage.

That said, I believe the Carnival Spirit is an absolutely beautiful ship and the experience is one we relive everyday as we watch our pictures scroll as our screensaver. I can't imagine cruising to Alaska on another ship, but sadly, Carnival Spirit is being moved to Australia.

Also make sure you have a REALLY good camera. The beauty of Alaska is unparalleled anywhere else on Earth.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks to all for the good advice and information!

Chefsusan, did the seafood seem different than the usual carnival sailings? It would be great to have fresh seafood. I have no problem with the usual stuff on Carnival, at least for the most part I can always find something I like alright. It will be too early in the season for fresh salmon, but I love crab.

My sailing is an inside passage, first of the season out of Vancouver. So hopefully will not be too rough, but I imagine we will be prone to the typical rough water on the way back from Ketchikan to Seattle. No Victoria on this trip, I've been there many times though & love going there.

I am thinking of booking Dyea Dave to do the drive up to Frasier & then take the train back to skagway. I've wanted to try the steakhouse (don't eat beef but I figure there must be some good seafood there) but doubt that will happen on this trip. I switched to this cruise from a transatlantic out of budget concerns & will be spending plenty on excursions.

The hamburger place & arctic saloon in ketchikan - that is definitely on my list of things to try! Dolly's house sounds like a hoot, we'll have to see that too.

Just wondering what tips there might be for cruising Alaska on CCL. I have cruised several times before but never an Alaska cruise.

I've read that HAL serves hot soup and cocoa on deck. Does Carnival do anything like this?

Please list your tips for doing an Alaska cruise, esp. if it's specific to CCL. It's all new to me so I'll appreciate any info you have to offer.

Just got off the Spirit on July 5. It was our fourth time on the Spirit and our third to Alaska. We had a fantastic time! Here's a link to my review (and I'm happy to answer questions if I can :D):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1442527

Cheers!

IMHO you are missing the most important thing. It ain't the hot coco or soup. What matters most is that the ship you pick does the scenic glaciers you want. Carnvial sailings for Glacier Bay are extremely limited compared to HAL/Princess. I'd pick the ship and line for the destination, and if they are similar start worrying about amenities and such. What good is a good cabin, hot beverage but stuck in Tracy Arm versus Glacier Bay :D

Good luck

IMHO you are missing the most important thing. It ain't the hot coco or soup. What matters most is that the ship you pick does the scenic glaciers you want. Carnvial sailings for Glacier Bay are extremely limited compared to HAL/Princess. I'd pick the ship and line for the destination, and if they are similar start worrying about amenities and such. What good is a good cabin, hot beverage but stuck in Tracy Arm versus Glacier Bay :D

Good luck

True, true, but the cruise I have booked is an inside passage cruise out of vancouver, and it will cruise glacier bay one day as well. Just trying to find out what is in store for me. I have nearly a year to wait and this is part of the fun for me.

Good luck

My DH and I are on this first sailing next season as well. We chose it because it was one of the two Glacier Bay sailings offered next year and the itinerary is unique to the usual run. We are sooooo looking forward to this cruise!

CanWeGoYet ... We haven't experienced an Alaskan cruise yet and are completely excited about this trip. The planning (and dreaming) is the fun part now. Quilting_Cruiser (Hi!) recently wrote a great review with pics. If you haven't read it you should check it out.

My DH and I are on this first sailing next season as well. We chose it because it was one of the two Glacier Bay sailings offered next year and the itinerary is unique to the usual run. We are sooooo looking forward to this cruise!

CanWeGoYet ... We haven't experienced an Alaskan cruise yet and are completely excited about this trip. The planning (and dreaming) is the fun part now. Quilting_Cruiser (Hi!) recently wrote a great review with pics. If you haven't read it you should check it out.

Hurray, glad you are coming too! There is a roll call started already, why don't you check it out. It's a little slow but we are a long ways out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1390387

I'll check out the review, just haven't had a chance yet today. :)

Hurray, glad you are coming too! There is a roll call started already, why don't you check it out. It's a little slow but we are a long ways out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1390387

I'll check out the review, just haven't had a chance yet today. :)

Thanks ... I will check the roll call out! :)

Archived