Cab or Ship Transfer from Airport to Pier-Boston

Nana G

New to cruising from this port. Need help deciding if we should take a cab or ship, NCL Dawn, transfers? Arriving day of cruise and want fastest and cheapest way to get to pier. Are cabs readily available at airport and return at pier? Thanks for any help.

Cab would be $25-30. It's probably cheaper and faster than any cruise transfer. Cabs are usually readily available at the airport. I'm not sure about coming back - you can always call for a cab from the ship when you disembark.

You can see the ship from Logan Airport. It's an expensive quick cab ride through the Ted Williams tunnel to the port in South Boston. $30 is only reasonable if you are traveling solo. There is also a public transit option on the Silver Line for $2.

The airport is not very far from the cruise terminal. I don't know the exact mileage, it is probably a 10 min. ride. I live here so I'm estimating the time. I have cruised from Boston. When you go out of the terminal, you will see a line of people waiting for taxis. There is someone directing the crowd so no one pushes ahead.

You can see the ship from Logan Airport. It's an expensive quick cab ride through the Ted Williams tunnel to the port in South Boston. $30 is only reasonable if you are traveling solo. There is also a public transit option on the Silver Line for $2.

If you take the Silver Line from the airport, how close is the station to the cruise terminal? Is this really a feasible option? We don't mind walking a short distance to save $25+ :) We have never been to Boston so are not familiar with the layout of the city. We are contemplating taking the Norwegian Dawn from there.

If you have a lot of luggage or have problems walking, this is not a very good idea. Also you will be walking in an unfamiliar area. I suggest taking the silver line from the airport to south station, go out to the street level and get a taxi. It is a very short ride and you will be dropped off right at the terminal.

You can do the reverse when you depart the ship.

I disagree. It will be more complicated to get all your luggage up and out of South Station and over to the cabs than it will be to make a straightforward transfer at World Trade Center and take the Silver Line to Black Falcon.

• 2 weeks later...

The cab fare is not a per person fare. You pay for the cab, not the number of people. You pay $7.50 extra for the tunnel toll and airport fee.

Approximate Breakdown:Initial Fare$2.60Add. Metered Fare$13.14Harbor Tunnel Tolls$5.25Logan Airport Fee$2.25Tip (15%)$2.36Estimated Taxi Fare$25.60*Additional charges may apply.

OK "friends" that seem to be very knowledgeable....booked hotel downtown (Holiday Inn Express) thanks to 138East help but now need to know ins/outs of getting from Logan to hotel (appar no shuttle) and then from there to Black Falcon Sat. morning. I have been trying to navivate the public trans website with very little luck. They keep talking about "silver line"--that is a BUS I take it?? We will have the usual one checked bag (rollies) and a carry on that will go over handle and roll with it.

Your best route from Logan to the Holiday Inn on Friend St. is to take the Silver Line bus (a large articulated bus with a low step and luggage racks similar to a rental car bus) from the airport terminal (lower level) to South Station. Walk all the way to the right to the end of the platform to transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife (there is an elevator) and take any train one stop to Downtown Crossing. If you can, walk to the very front of the platform to get on the first subway car. Get off at the next stop and transfer to the Orange Line direction Oak Grove - there is an escalator to go up to the platform. Then you go 3 stops to North Station and walk to your hotel.

From Logan you can also take the free airport subway bus to the Blue Line and go 3 stops to State and transfer to the Orange Line to North Station. IMO this is more awkward with luggage - the Silver Line was built to be airport transportation - the stations are newer with more escalators and elevators and the buses are easy on/easy off with luggage.

To get to Black Falcon you reverse the process - Orange Line to Downtown Crossing and transfer to the Red Line direction Braintree/Mattapan. Go 1 stop to South Station and transfer to the Silver Line SL2 bus (be sure not to go through an exit gate) - I think it says Design Center.

If you're returning to Black Falcon and flying out of Logan, you can take the SL2 back to World Trade Center, cross over to the opposite track (elevators & up escalator) to catch the SL1 airport bus to Logan.

Don't feel bad - none of the downtown hotels have a free shuttle - only the hotels in less accessible areas like Revere, Chelsea, and Saugus offer a "free" shuttle so that they can get business.

Archived