Costa Magica-May 8th,2005-Roll Call

latex

Hi, we join this cruise at Genoa (Savonna) on 9th May from the UK. Looking forward to it. Have previously cruised on the Atlantica in Europe - absolutely wonderful!!

Hi, we join this cruise at Genoa (Savonna) on 9th May from the UK. Looking forward to it. Have previously cruised on the Atlantica in Europe - absolutely wonderful!!

See you in genoa!

• 2 weeks later...

This is our first cruise. It's my husband's special birthday so we thought we'd try cruising! We are very much looking forward to the trip. We are extending our trip to 3 days in Rome and 4 days on the Amalfi Coast. If anyone has anything of interest to tell us about either place we'd love to hear of it. Also, any tips for first time cruisers?

we are also extending 3 days in Rome-we are 2 couples from Alabama- we are glad they have selected a new Pope- maybe by the time we get there, we can tour the Vatican under normal conditions.

Hi everyone! I've never posted on a msg board before, so forgive me if I mess up. I'm responding to your Magica May 8th roll call. I managed to finally sign onto the Costa website for excursions. There seems to be no listing for any excursions for Palma de Mallorca. Has anyone found out any info? I don't want to miss out on any ports & don't know how manageable it is on our own (Travelling with my 19yr old daughter). Thanks for any help you can offer!

Looking at the UK Costa site there are 3 or 4 excursions for Palma :confused: Let me know if you can't see them and I'll post a link. Enjoy your cruise - I'm getting so excited!

Many thanks Jo42. I just picked up my tickets tonight. There is an excursion listing inside the pkg with many more tours than are posted on the website (I'm accessing from Canada). Who knows why though? Maybe they are trying to fill the 1 or 2 offered at each port first. Glad I didn't already pre-book. I would have been upset, because the ones I wanted were not even on the site. Jo42: On your Atlantica trip, did you visit any of the same ports? Curious about the surrounding dock area of each port...anything to do if not on a tour?

Our Atlantica trip included Barcelona, which I would do 'on my own' this time - its a great City and we will be docked nearby. I know Malta 'like the back of my hand' and so will spend time in Valetta on our own also (also docked nearby and public transport is centralized round Valletta). We will probably do Rome on our own as, although I haven't been before, I am travelling with my Mum and Aunt who's mobility is impaired so will not be able to 'rush' around behind the guide - but we will take the ship's Rome on Your Own tour to ensure we get back on board ok!!!. Looking forward to Tunis as have never been there nor have I been to Palma or Sicily either. See you on board!

I wish I was adventurous enough to do it on my own. Oh well, maybe next time. Still have a million things to do before we set sail. One doesn't have to think this much when on a Carribean cruise, that's for sure...it's beginning to feel like work! Many thanks again & 'Bon Voyage' wishes to you all.

Yes we've done Captain Morgan - my mum just loves anything 'on the water' and even as teenagers we had to do this everytime we went to Malta!

Valletta is Malta's ancient capital. All the old buildings are made of blond sandstone ( or limestone) crumbling in parts! There is plenty of sightseeing to be done and there are also modern shops if that's your thing. You can get buses to all over the island from Valetta but Sliema which is nearby (which you may still be able to get a ferry boat to from Valletta) is another large town with shops etc. The tours offered by the ship to Mdina and the church at Mosta are good too it you've never been to Malta.

Be sure to try the 'Cheescakes' and 'Peascakes' - savoury flakey pastry with ricotta cheese or mushed peas inside mmmmmmmm - sold in paper bags from street vendors. I do hope they still do them - its been 10 years since my last visit!

Yes Jo42, for sure they will have the maltese cheesecakes/peascakes--pizzitisis(not sure of spelling). We're lucky in Toronto, Canada, they're sold fresh in the maltese bakeries and even frozen for take-home bake-it-yourself in many of our supermarkets..mmmmm is right. Definitely have to try one in Malta. Who knows, different raw ingredients might make them even better. Thanks for reminding me.

Its a round flat bread. We used to cut in through, rub with olive oil and the cut surface of a tomato then add ham and cheese - result , ready made picnic for a day out swimming!!

We've really gone off topic now!!

Yes the train goes into the central station in Rome and then you have get on another train from Rome to the cruise port-this takes several hours and is a hassle after a long flight, especially if you have a bunch of luggage. we have booked a transfer service that will meet us at the airport and take us directly to the cruise ship.- try these links:

www.airportconnection.it or www.colosseumlimos.com

Archived