Am I the only one

BusyFLmom

IMO, a 3 or 4 day cruise is not a good one to start out with, its a totally different atmosphere from a 7-day.

On our first cruise, a 1-day cruise to nowhere - I was violently seasick from the moment the ship left port...this was wwwwaaaaayyyyy back in 1987 and there were no stabilizers. :(:eek::(

DH somehow talked me into a 7-day cruise on Carnival in 1989 and I've never looked back. I still get a touch of seasickness but I make sure to take my Gravol and I'm fine.

I'm sure your husband will love it once he's really had to chance to spend a few days onboard...there is nothing like cruising and I'm sure we can all agree on that!!! :)

We had an absolute blast on our first cruise but it had nothing to do with the cruise. The majority of the ship was old and stuffy so we just made it about us and created some great memories. It was our vacation and we would have had an equally great time on a land trip. After our second cruise we found how fun a cruise could be.

Like many have said, it isn't for everyone, but what I found worked for me in getting my hubby more interested is I thought about what my husband enjoys to do in his free time - read, nap, computer games & movies. I made that possible constantly on the boat! I didn't ask him to go with me to lay in the sun or watch the shows at night if he preferred to nap in the room, or sit in a comfy chair somewhere & flip through a computer mag. Then we would hook up for stuff we both enjoyed. He began to really warm up to cruising, now, he really enjoys it & I LOVE IT!

OH, & in port, since he HATES to shop, we do not go to the shopping areas, but instead we explore, learn the history of the area & go to beaches that have things to do or at least some fruity drinks :D. FUN FOR ALL!

Give it another try, Nassau is one of our least favorite ports, and RCCL is our least favorite cruise line. Try a caribbean destination that is farther south or east, there are so many wonderful islands out there. Try Carnival, it is one of the least expensive lines, and it is really wonderful. We are in our 60's and waited many, many years before trying it because we felt it wouldn't compare to some of the others, it was wonderful and we are going on another Carnival cruise in January.

Sailing on Sensation today...so don't bash me as a "RCCL Lover" but sailing on Sovereign is/was NOT typical of Royal ships........now if you hate the Radiance/Voyager/Oasis class OK, but Sovereign class is not what I would judge that line by at all...I've been on all classes except Oasis so I am able to see the difference...suspect if you tried any of the other classes you would be more pleased...might even love it!!:)

I agree. There's nothing wrong with Royal Caribbean, even the smaller ships (which is all I've been on so far). BUT Nassau is a horrible port compared to most others unless you go over the bridge to Paradise Island or at least get away from the dock area.

A short cruise can also skew your view because you never really get settled into the routine. I say give it another shot ... just go somewhere else.

The bigger the ship, the more to do. Also if you make friends it helps. Does SIL (sister in law?) have kids? And then you have a 7 year old. So how many in your party? Be sure who ever booked your cabins that the reservations are connected so you eat together. You will want early dining for your 7 year old because kids activities stop around 4:30 pm and start back around 8:30 pm.

WOW!! Thanks for posting this!! I actually have twin 7 yo and SIL/BIL have a 7 yo. We are booked for late dining. I will have to call our PVP and change that to early dining :)

WOW!! Thanks for posting this!! I actually have twin 7 yo and SIL/BIL have a 7 yo. We are booked for late dining. I will have to call our PVP and change that to early dining :)

Check out this link

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/Camp_Carnival.html

You should find some great samples of activities so you know what to expect. The kids will have a great time. The time we did late dining (traveling with friends and they prefer) my son was 13 so old enough to go by him self. He left dinner one night carrying two melting cakes because he didn't want to be late to the Ice cream eatting contest but he didn't want to miss dessert either. And the server had been nice enough to rush his dinner through.

We are taking our first cruise at the end of next month so I am a complete rookie.

But I am going with a have fun attitude and going to get involved in many activities!

I am cruising with an open mind and just gonna relax and go with the flow!

My buddy was bashing cruising and said W.C. Fields (some old time comedian) said that cruising was like being in jail with the possibility of drowning! lol!

We have done 2, 3 night cruise on RCCL but only as a girls trip. My DH and DD would not have enjoyed them at all. There is a HUGE difference b/w a 3 and a 7 night cruise. To me, they same to be more family oriented. just go with an open mind and do your research!

Archived