Refrigerator question?

I'm sure you guys will have an answer for this.

My wife and I emailed Carnival about having a refrigerator in our cabin to keep our son's formula cool/cold. They said about bring a cooler, which we could do, or use the refrigerator that is in guest Services that we can have access 24 hours a day.

Our question is, has anyone ever heard or done that, using a refrigerator in GUEST SERVICES? I found this answer to be a little weird. Im not saying it cant be done, just finding it a little weird.

Thanks in advance.

If you are asking about one of the cruises in your signature, I believe all cabins on those ships have a mini-bar/fridge in each cabin. Only Fantasy class, Destiny, Triumph and Victory do not have fridges in all cabins. EM

No essie the mini bar in the cabins really don;t keep anything cold.

Carnival stated that to use the fridge in the PURSAR's office.

Has anyone ever done that? that's the question

I'm no formula expert, but I would find it wierd to keep my child's food in an area accessible to other people. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't like it. Could you bring the powdered formula and just mix it as you use it? Or the pre-mixed stuff? Like I said, I'm no expert ;)

The only time I travelled with an infant I was pumping breastmilk for cereal and kept it in the kitchen refrigerator. Staff got it for me each day, which was very helpful but a bit of a pain because sometimes I couldn't get it fast enough :eek: It was a very small resort though, and I doubt this would work on a cruise ship.

Bottom line, I'd want some sort of solution where access to my baby's food was minimized to me and maybe the room stewards.

I personally would put it in a cooler in the room. I would feel mucher better about it being on ice where I could see it vs in a common room where there are people going in and out. KWIM? Plus who wants to crawl out of the room in the middle of the night when your child decides that they want something to eat NOW! Even if they sleep through the night now Murphy's Law states that they will want to eat every night there isn't formula in the room. :) I know this is a very expensive option but could you take the individual cans?

I know that cruise lines can provide you with a "real" in-room fridge that is designed to keep medications cold if there's a medical need for it. My mother will be receiving one for her insulin. It may be too late now that you've been discussing formula with them, but you can usually contact the special needs department by email or fax. Could you suggest that there's a medical need to keep medications cold? Otherwise, I'd keep it on ice in the room, I would not be okay with using a fridge in a common area. (And for what it's worth, the first suggestion to my mom was that she keep her insulin in the infirmary. She was not into that, no way she was going down there multiple times a day and night to get her insulin. She was firm and got a promise of an in-room fridge).

Carnival only allows a 12x12x12 cooler. But........... many will pack a larger softsided cooler in their regular luggage with no worries. The room steward will keep it iced for you. Much colder than any cabin fridge.

Dumb question--this is canned, stored on the shelf formula and you only need to keep the unused portion cold? Makes a big difference in what you need.

Would the leftovers fit in a ice bucket that the room steward could keep stocked with ice? You could decant the leftovers into smaller bottles so that it would take up less space in the bucket. We did this with jars of baby food when our eldest travelled at 6 months.

I am a big milk drinker and I always order extra cartons of milk from room service at breakfast and keep it in the cabin fridge for later in the day. I have found that it always stays cold enough to drink later. If not this then I would bring a cooler and have the cabin attendant fill it with ice and keep the formula there.

By the way insulin no longer has to be kept in the fridge.

Archived