Port or starboard

romaine

You picked a great ship for your first cruise.

Starboard and port simply refer to the left versus right side of the ship. No real advantage one versus the other. With Aqua Class the best staterooms are the ones on the slanted portion of the central hump (i.e. 1610, 1606 etc.). These rooms have larger than normal balconies, no obstructions, centrally located and near stairs and elevators, and serviced by the same steward that services the Penthouse Suite (so regarded by the cruise line as being the best steward). Shoot for one of these staterooms rather than worrying about starboard versus port.

Side of the ship really has no impact on your enjoyment....the ship can (and will) dock to different sides...just depends where they're told to dock, and which way is the easiest...sometimes, they back into the dock slip.

I would be happy (and have been) on either side. One small point - where there are smoking areas of the ship (and they are few) they tend to be on the port side. Depending on where your balcony is in relation to that area, you may get a wiff of smoke here and there. I have never found it to be a problem (and I hate smoke) but others have mentioned it.

On some cruises, such as Alaska, it could make a difference as to the view, but for most cruises either side has no particular advantage to the other

I One small point - where there are smoking areas of the ship (and they are few) they tend to be on the port side. Depending on where your balcony is in relation to that area, you may get a wiff of smoke here and there. I have never found it to be a problem (and I hate smoke) but others have mentioned it.

That is true for the lower decks, but the OP is in Aqua Class (Penthouse Deck) so it is many decks up from the nearest outdoor smoking area and would not be an issue.

Archived