Entertainment On QM 2

rosler28

The entertainment aboard QM 2 last week was very poor.

Royal Court Theatre

The shows were littered with dated music and poor solo artists. Why oh why don't Cunard update these shows and play something a bit more recent. There are lots of shows performed in NY and London with lots of material around.

G32

Again, dated music from both the DJ and the so called International Band, Icon. In fact, Icon are terrible. The most popular slot was the 30 minutes theme of the day slot which was a shame because that was, in fact, quite good. An even bigger shame when it finished because up stepped Icon and totally ruined the atmosphere.

Sail-away Parties

Again Icon with their dated music and very poor performances. In some ports they had finished and packed up by the time the ship had sailed.

Apart from Icon and the Dean Martin act, I will say there are some very talented performers onboard. It is just a shame that they have to play the outdated Cunard script.

Interestingly, after reading about the Entertainment Director, Ray, it would appear that he has been with the ship for some considerable time. Perhaps it's time for him to have a long holiday and let a new face take over. It really is time that the entertainment was refreshed.

However, I was very impressed with the lectures in Illuminations and they were the highlight of the sea days.

The entertainment aboard QM 2 last week was very poor. Royal Court Theatre The shows were littered with dated music and poor solo artists.

How strange! Last month, on a west bound crossing, a small party I was part of (six) were impressed with the stage shows in The Royal Court Theatre (our expectations were for hour-long, cruise ship, after dinner entertainment. We were not expecting the RSC or something by Checkhov).

Again Icon with their dated music and very poor performances. In some ports they had finished and packed up by the time the ship had sailed.

I have attended (or heard) several recent sailaways from Southampton and, whilst the band on Deck 8 play the same songs, in the same order during each departure, only once, in my experience, have they finished before the ship sailed.

Several times (including yesterday) the last sounds I have heard from the ship as she headed towards the Isle of Wight and the open sea has been the band playing "Red, Red Wine". Last month they were still playing long after we had departed the Ocean Terminal.

In 2008 we were two hours late sailing for one cruise, the band did "pack up" before we departed, however almost all passengers, and all the temporary bars, had also gone indoors by then.

In the Caribbean, during sailaways from several islands, they were very popular, with many people dancing.

However, I was very impressed with the lectures in Illuminations and they were the highlight of the sea days.

In my experience they can be good or bad, on a recent crossing one speaker made no attempt to modify his (obviously) memorised half-hour lecture, he repeatedly (two lectures, mid atlantic) said "Here in the United States"...

Very best wishes.

G32

Again, dated music from both the DJ and the so called International Band, Icon. In fact, Icon are terrible. The most popular slot was the 30 minutes theme of the day slot which was a shame because that was, in fact, quite good. An even bigger shame when it finished because up stepped Icon and totally ruined the atmosphere.

That's nothing. In G32 I had to endure the musical stylings of 'Vibz' - the Caribbean Band.

I refuse to believe that any other band could be worse.

That's nothing. In G32 I had to endure the musical stylings of 'Vibz' - the Caribbean Band.

I refuse to believe that any other band could be worse.

Try 'Nova' on the QE - they completely drowned out the amazing sendaway Travemunde gave us (check it out on youtube) and were actually asked to stop playing by the passengers. On a cruise with many ports in frequent succession, the same set becomes rather boring. Rumour has it that they frequently emptied the dancefloor in the Queens Room and the Yacht Club. One band who packed out the pub were the new orleans jazz band - why didn't Cunard use them for a sailaway?

MrsH

Try 'Nova' on the QE - they completely drowned out the amazing sendaway Travemunde gave us (check it out on youtube) and were actually asked to stop playing by the passengers. On a cruise with many ports in frequent succession, the same set becomes rather boring. Rumour has it that they frequently emptied the dancefloor in the Queens Room and the Yacht Club. One band who packed out the pub were the new orleans jazz band - why didn't Cunard use them for a sailaway?

MrsH

That group is made up by members of the ship's orchestra and so are really a band as such, they will be busy rehearsing for the evening performance. But they are very good on all of the Cunard ships.

What is the Dean Martin show?

It was one of the ship's entertainers trying to take off Dean. An English guy putting on an American accent. A poor show and we lasted about 10 minutes.

He did another show, this time with his native accent and I think we lasted just under 10 minutes this time.

As the Cap'n says the Ships orchestra are good. The Ship does have talent onboard but the entertainers are required to perform very dated shows.

Given the content of another thread here, I am of the opinion that there is no need for Cunard to pay for entertainers.

There would appear to be ample opportunity for amusement watching fellow passengers opening doors without touching handles, pressing buttons for decks in lifts with their elbows, and generally engaging in a game of moving around the vessel without actually touching it.

It's a bit reminiscent of the game of guiding a loop along a wire without touching it.

:)

It was one of the ship's entertainers trying to take off Dean. An English guy putting on an American accent. A poor show and we lasted about 10 minutes.

He did another show, this time with his native accent and I think we lasted just under 10 minutes this time.

As the Cap'n says the Ships orchestra are good. The Ship does have talent onboard but the entertainers are required to perform very dated shows.

The production shows are leased from a UK based company who provide the costumes, choreography and music. I imagine that these come at quite a high cost, and the leases last for at least 3 or 4 years. It doesn't help with your situation, I know and I tend to agree that the stuff is dated, at least now you know why.

[/color]

The production shows are leased from a UK based company who provide the costumes, choreography and music. I imagine that these come at quite a high cost, and the leases last for at least 3 or 4 years. It doesn't help with your situation, I know and I tend to agree that the stuff is dated, at least now you know why.

Thank you Cap'n. Let's hope the leases has nearly ended.

Given the content of another thread here, I am of the opinion that there is no need for Cunard to pay for entertainers.

There would appear to be ample opportunity for amusement watching fellow passengers opening doors without touching handles, pressing buttons for decks in lifts with their elbows, and generally engaging in a game of moving around the vessel without actually touching it.

It's a bit reminiscent of the game of guiding a loop along a wire without touching it.

:)

lol (to quote yet another thread).

Mary:)

[/color]

Whoever they are, they cannot be as bad as QE2's "Broadway Bound" (should have been bound and gagged) productions. They did the same terrible shows for years and years. One each cruise, I would ask the Cruise Director why they had such bad shows and why couldn't they replace them. I was told a couple of times that the contract was ending soon. But that was either not true or some idiot shoreside kept renewing the contract.

Having sailed many times on QM2, I have to say the shows are dated and poor, the headliners if you call them that are budget to say the least, Cunard could learn from RCL who have amazing shows, P&O also great shows and they are same company, we dont bother to go anymore, thank goodness QM2 has a wonderful evening life away from the shows.

QV does have better shows and a better theatre.

Sailaways, we always go to the side and watch reather the party at the stern, however they normally have vibes there who are very good.

I can see what you are saying. I am 39 and not a lover of old fashioned music ( I am a nightclub DJ!) but somehow I really enjoyed the shows, including the Dean Martin show. I guess it goes to show how awful the shows on my regular cruise line, Celebrity are. Most importantly the age group on the ship was old, and newer style music would not have appealed to them. I took it as it came and enjoyed every bit of it.

I can see what you are saying. I am 39 and not a lover of old fashioned music ( I am a nightclub DJ!) but somehow I really enjoyed the shows, including the Dean Martin show. I guess it goes to show how awful the shows on my regualr cruise line, Celebrity are. Most importantly the age group on the ship was old, and newer style music would not have appealed to them.

Why do people insist on the view that some music is suitable for only some ages? I was a teenager when I first went to Covent Garden - and I have never been to a pop concert. Equally I know plenty of people of my age who do like pop music.

It is very strange to me.

WD

The Dean Martin act was a speciality act brought in just for the show, and was ex the Rat Pack stage show. I do not like Dean Martins style of music yet watched the show with an open mind and enjoyed it. It was something different that I certainly enjoyed.

Why do people insist on the view that some music is suitable for only some ages? I was a teenager when I first went to Covent Garden - and I have never been to a pop concert. Equally I know plenty of people of my age who do like pop music.

It is very strange to me.

WD

I guess it's because a vast majority of 'older' passengers would not tolerate a beyonce style performence on a cruise ship stage. I'm not saying there should not be music like this, but from experience younger people tend to tolerate most music styles and older people seem to rebel instantly to music they do not know.

Why do people insist on the view that some music is suitable for only some ages?WD

It's like the awful business of wheeling on school children to play the recorder to the unfortunate residents in retirement homes.

In the unlikely event I live long enough to need a care home, I shall chuck my Zimmer frame at them, followed by my teeth.

It's like the awful business of wheeling on school children to play the recorder to the unfortunate residents in retirement homes.

In the unlikely event I live long enough to need a care home, I shall chuck my Zimmer frame at them, followed by my teeth.

My elderly aunt is in assisted living, and the thought of her throwing her teeth at someone gave me a good laugh. I don't think she has the strength at 95 to throw her walking frame. My aunt actually enjoys the students who entertain the residents. (And yes, she has all her marbles)

Are they still showing Rock the Opera? They've had this show for years; I've seen it several times and actually find it to be great fun. Some of the other regular musical shows I find enjoyable also.

Otherwise, I think the entertainment on QM2 reflects cutbacks because of the economy. There used to be more celebrity entertainers and lecturers on board, and slightly more interesting entertainment.

I wish they'd bring back themed crossings. They were so much fun, and sort of brought everyone on the ship together, so to speak. Also, you could choose your crossing date based on the theme you wanted, if you were so inclined.

I don't think they have too many celebrities on board any more, whereas QE2 and QM2 used to have at least one on every crossing.

I have found the entertainment to be very varied on the QM2. As others have said an open mind to it all is great. I have found myself introduced to things that i would not otherwise have experienced and found new interests and a broadened outlook.

It takes all sorts:D The choice is yours:)

Julie

Are they still showing Rock the Opera? They've had this show for years; I've seen it several times and actually find it to be great fun. I don't think they have too many celebrities on board any more, whereas QE2 and QM2 used to have at least one on every crossing.

Hi Leucothea

Rock at the Opera finshed its run some time ago. I enoyed it :) but saw it 4 times :eek: .

Last month there were "book at bedtime" readings in the Grand Lobby, well attended. There were concerts and recitals, lectures and demonstrations. Classes and workshops. Something for everyone, I would hope. So much to do, so much to experience and enjoy around the ship. And the best entertainment is simply sitting in a chair on deck, watching the waves.

There was a famous rock musician on board QM2 (on the west bound TA that I was also on) last month, rumour has it that another boarded this week for a crossing...

Of course, given that the good cap'n never seems to get off of QM2 (which is a good thing, it was a pleasure to chat with him :) ) I would say that there is a real celebrity/someone famous on every sailing these days...

Very best wishes,

Archived