Oxygen

Wondering if anyone can advise me? I want very much to take my mother on her first cruise in January. She requires the use of oxygen at night. I don't know how this is arranged but am sure someone here has dealt with this before. We need to fly from Minnesota, if that makes a difference...... Can someone tell me where to start?

Can someone tell me where to start?

CareVacations provides special requirements such as oxygen, scooters, wheelchairs, etc. and they can deliver oxygen directly to your stateroom. See carevacations.com and then click on CruiseShipAssist. Or google 'care vacations'. I'm sure there is someone on CC that has experience with this medical need and may have used CareVacations.

I agree with the other posters for on the cruise, but you should also contact her doctor to make sure she is able to fly.

My mother also used oxygen at night, and since even a pressurized airplane cabin is lower in oxygen than being on land, she had to arrange for the possibility of needing oxygen in flight. In her later years she could not fly at all because of it.

Best of luck, my mother LOVED cruising!

If she requires it for flying, then there are very specific requirements for traveling with O2 (ie no O2 canisters).

My grandmother may be cruising with us next year and I haven't checked the requirements, if any, set forth by the cruise lines. Thanks for bringing this up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time my dad went with us, he needed oxygen to both fly and cruise. Contact special needs with RCCL and/or your regular oxygen provider. I don't know about other airlines, but on American you can get oxygen provided on the plane. At that time it was $50.00 per leg of the flight. Also had to be prearranged with AA. The only time he was without, was preflight and on the way to the hotel we stayed at. Good luck. My dad will no longer cruise.

Hopy your Mom goes and you all have fun.

Karen

Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara does not provide oxygen, except for emergency situations. If guests require oxygen, they may bring their own with them or rent it from an outside vendor who will deliver it onboard the ship prior to their arrival and pick it up upon the ships return.

Guests are responsible for providing their own oxygen or renting from an outside vendor who will deliver it onboard to their stateroom. Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara does not provide oxygen, except in emergencies (guests will have to be admitted into the infirmary).

The following vendors rent oxygen to guests with disabilities for cruising:

Care Vacations: Toll Free: 1-877-478-7827

Special Needs at Sea: Toll Free: 1-800-513-4515

With proper notification, there are three types of oxygen permitted on board:

1. Liquid oxygen

2. Compressed gas oxygen (in cylinders) 3. Oxygen concentrator

Notification of delivery of oxygen systems must be sent to: Access Department of RCL and CEL at least 30 days prior to sailing.

Include the guest's name, ship, sailing date, stateroom number, type of oxygen system and their personal physician's approval to sail. Guest's must ensure that the equipment is off loaded and picked up by their provider on day of disembarkation.

Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara does not assume responsibility for the equipment.

Oxygen Storage Policies: All oxygen brought onboard must be stored in the guest stateroom regardless of the amount of bottles. This applies to all ships.

NOTE: All staterooms where oxygen is used are marked with signage that states: "No smoking, oxygen in use"

Oxygen Concentrator: This type of oxygen is generated from the air using a small device which connects to a 110 volt outlet. There are no restrictions with the use of an oxygen concentrator although the Access department should be notified.

Best regards,

Access Staff

GM

All good info. One note to add, if using a concentrator check airline web site for documentation info. Some models are certified for use on plane and without that it may not be allowed to be used. My Mom got the paperwork from US Air for flight to San Juan (and back) and had no trouble all all using on plane. She did have to get extension cord from RCI for cabin as only outlet is at the vanity desk (bathroom has outlet too but only has power when light is on).

My wife has congestive heart failure and needed oxygen in thestateroom during the cruise. As others have stated contact Care Vacations they were extremely helpful. They ensure that the O2 is in your stateroom and set-up should you go with the concentrator. I believe that my wife had 75 feet of tubing which was more than enough to navigate the stateroom. I believe that the concentrators were $169 and $200 depending on the model wanted. You do have to contact RCCL Special needs to advise them who will be providing the service. Also you will need a perscription for the O2from a Dr which will need to be forwarded to Care Vacations should you use them.

Chuck

Archived