how much money your wife spends pre-cruise

jlm41

We sailed on the Destiny in it's maiden year (I forget, was that around 2006 or 2007?).

Destiny's first year was 1996.

As far as cruise purchases go, I used to do that when I first started cruising, but not anymore. I really don't buy anything new for cruises anymore.

Well, this is our 14th cruise and I know I have spent quite a bit . . . all the things for celebrating our vow renewal . . . gown, flowers, flower girl dress, new suit for DH, gift bags filled with goodies for the guests, decorations, invites, etc.. Then I decided to have some fun and buy a whole cruising wardrobe for our 5 year old granddaughter including shoes and dresses since she lives in Florida and we are going to Alaska and well . . . you get the picture. Then there is all the "stuff" that needs replacing from the cruise in January. Oh, and I need a couple of new books and magazines for on the train out to Seattle. You have no idea how much you can NEED if you are a woman! Yes, I got some new clothes and shoes too! Whew! It's so much WORK! At least you don't have to pay her to do all of this for your trip! LOL

Zero dollars! She does not spend pre cruise as I don't either... we take what we have and go on a cruise..

Ditto! Of course, I can't say that was true on our first cruise. I don't understand the bungy cords, duct tape, flashlights, alarm clocks, etc. but do know to some on these boards they are essential. Now we have a suitcase with cruise clothes in it that is ready at a moments notice. And, since we live in Florida, the clothes we wear everyday are suited for tropical climates. Now, if we were planning a cruise to Alaska, we would need a whole new wardrobe!:eek:

Pat

the first cruise does require purchasing some cruise clothers. But each cruise you can be bring out the basics, bathing suits, coverups, flip flops, dresses. Take the hit and then you will be fine.

As far as the medications, etc., take what you have in your closets and go from there. I did buy more sunscreen and aloe and will closet shop when packing.

I better start packing my cruise is in like 33 days>????

This reminds me when we took our oldest child to college. We seemed to pack his entire room and spent around $2,000 on various things. When we moved him out of the dorm at the end of his freshmen year, I started to notice some new things that were never used or opened. I asked him about all the clothes that he brought and he told me that only wore the same 8 shirts that whole year because they were his favorite. I ask why he didn't wear the other 20 shirs we broght in the fall? His responded, "I don't know". So Goodwill had 20 shirts by the end of the week. Now we give him 1 suitcase to pack and buy very little to begin the year. If he needs it he goes to Wal Mart when can.

If this wasn't your first cruise I'd say you were crazy :) But since it is, go for it, enjoy the experience and have fun. But please don't keep telling her, "I told you we didn't need this" because you probably won't use half of what you take.

We don't pack any different than for any other vacation with the exception of formal ware. The person that mentioned taking 8 dresses.. wow! Nothing wrong it and I am sure you look beautiful but I just couldn't imagine my wife taking that many clothes. We do mix and match and wear some items twice. Also use the laundry service as needed. Just don't think you need a completely different outfit for each night.

Now we do buy new stuff for our cruises. My wife might buy a new top or 2 and I might buy a new shirt but that's about it.

enjoy the cruise!

Duane

We are going to Europe for (my) first time on a Med cruise. I spent $90 the first day on travel books on the Med. I'd say I pick up "something" once or twice a week that I might use on the trip. A cute travel umbrella, a money belt, pink and black tiger stripe duct tape (really!) just in case my suitcase rips... And the clothes and shoes! I have to have comfortable shoes and how do you know they are comfortable until you wear them?? And that trench coat (I live in Florida!) that is soooo cute and on sale... Let your wife have the fun. If you need to, remind her that is less she has to sepnd on the cruise.... I still have over 100 days to go!

Sounds like my wife. Oh also never let the wife say I just want to remove the wallpaper and paint the kitchen. After that "painting" was done everything else in the kitchen did not match. End result the simple paint job cost me $6,000.

Im female too and I dont plan on hauling $1000 worth of anything onboard.

You go girl - tell it like it is! Getting things down to one rolling carry-on and one backpack each for our last several cruises has been liberating and allows us great freedom for transportation options to and from the cruiseport and the ship. The only thing we carry $1000.00-worth of is CASH to spend as we see fit on our vacation! (Can you say c-a-s-i-n-o?):D

outfitting our family of 3 for our first cruise i spent more than that. DH got a new suit, not tux, that he still has and drags out for funerals and office parties. DS has out grown his twice. While we did over pack the first time the learning process of cruising is fun. We do bring advil and anti diarrhea meds....but have never needed the bungee cords, over the door shoe holder, highlighters, duct tape....ect. The gem of wisdom worth keeping that is often found on this board is this......leave half the clothes, and pack twice the money.

BTW....we are also on this cruise!

I will never admit how much I spend in writing! LOL! :D Actually I think we spent more getting ready for our 2nd cruise than our 1st one. Hubby wanted a new suit & dress shirts & our son needed a new suit, some new nicer shorts & polos since he had outgrown everything from last year. It isn't like we won't use them for other than cruising so it was worth it. I needed new swimsuits as I hadn't bought any in 2 yrs & I bought a couple of new comfy dresses. :) Of course updated all the sunscreen, etc.

SANTA or the BIRTHDAY QUEEN is bringing hubby & son their own snorkel gear this year so we each have our own next cruise! ;)

I will work on packing much less for our next cruise!!!! Still overpacked & I actually thought about each item before packing it. Geeesh! :o I have packed workout clothes twice now & I never even put them on! Baahaaahaaa! Managed to only gain 2.5 lbs due to taking the stairs so I'm not even going to bother next cruise!

I think that if you can afford it and you don't mind that she spends that much, who cares? And it's really no one else's business. It's very easy to spend a lot of $$$ if you don't know what to expect on a vacation. I easily spent $1000 on our last cruise in March and it wasn't our first cruise....though it was our first cruise as a family of 6.

If you don't like her spending so much, then obviously that's a discussion between you two :)

Zero dollars! She does not spend pre cruise as I don't either... we take what we have and go on a cruise..

This is what we do. We take what we have, and enjoy our vacation. We don't need to go buy everything "new," to have a good time, and we ignore the "lists," and take only what we need.

My GF 1st cruise was on the Valor '05'. We had only been dating a few months and she went all out on new outfits, including a couple evening gowns with purse' and shoes to match.

She also brought 2 suitcases and a carryon stuffed with clothes and probably 15 pairs of shoes.

Now after 14 cruises since, she does buy a new outfit, a pair or 2 of shoes and maybe a cocktail dress. She is down to one suitcase and a carry on, with maybe 7 pairs of shoes now.

We are going on our first cruise in August and I'm not really buying much that's specifically for the cruise. My kids are growing and needed summer clothes anyway, so I did spend about $250 on clothes for both of them to wear all summer. They will also wear those same clothes at WDW and on the cruise. We all have swimsuits and cover ups already, dh wears a suit to work quite often so if we decide to bring a suit for him, he's covered.

I did need to buy a few clothing items for me that I hadn't planned on, but again, they aren't specifically for the cruise. I unexpectedly got pregnant and will be 18 weeks when we leave, and I am showing much faster than my previous pregnancies so I had to buy a few new dresses, shorts and tops that I will wear all summer. I also bought a $13 sunhat at Target for myself yesterday, and I might not have bought that if we weren't cruising.

As a PP said, I'll probably stock up on sunscreen, OTC meds and whatever prescriptions we might need before we leave. I don't anticipate that will cost more than $50.

I have built up a cruise list and wardrobe over the years that is specific only to vacation. I add a few new outfits every time for something new, it all is in a seperate closet and I look at it from time to time. Getting ready for the cruise and planning is half the fun. :)

We are taking our first cruise on destiny July 7th.

Wife is going all crazy reading all the packing list on this site.

So far she has spent $1000 buying stuff for the cruise.

over hundred dollar on medicine/lotions etc.

Clothes, Flash light, Alarm clock, shoes, bungee cord, and bunch of other stuff. Some of the big ticket items are dresses for her for dinner etc.

all kinds of stuff from the packing list on this board.

How much do you guys typically spend before the cruise? Is $1000 excessive or is it normal?

Well, it depends. If you end up becoming addicted to cruising, then the dresses and shoes and other items can be used again and again! The things you listed is stuff we keep packed for our cruises - especially the travel alarm clock!

We both spent a lot of money before our second "first" cruise (we cruised once in 1996 - hated it - and then gave it another whirl in 2003 - LOVED IT - and have been cruising at least once/year ever since), but since that time we don't really spend very much for cruise preparation at all. The most costly items we purchase ahead of time is sunscreen (I don't care what brand you buy, it's expensive!) and a delivery from bon voyage to our cabin.

Have a BLAST on your cruise!!

We probably spent around $600, most of it for clothing. $100 was for two sets of walkie talkies that didn't work on the ship after all. I was able to return the over the door shoe hanger as we didn't use it. Bonine, ginger caps. It just all adds up.

We are taking our first cruise on destiny July 7th.

Wife is going all crazy reading all the packing list on this site.

So far she has spent $1000 buying stuff for the cruise.

over hundred dollar on medicine/lotions etc.

Clothes, Flash light, Alarm clock, shoes, bungee cord, and bunch of other stuff. Some of the big ticket items are dresses for her for dinner etc.

all kinds of stuff from the packing list on this board.

How much do you guys typically spend before the cruise? Is $1000 excessive or is it normal?

:(

Don't ask......................:eek:

But seriously mostly for clothes and we do use them after the cruise so nothing really crazy as how much does one really need, some of the stuff suggested is crazy, pack clothes and lots of money and have FUN! This way one does not have to drag all the crap back home. For us on our last cruise the only thing I packed extra was a hand held weight scale that I bought at Wal-Mart so we would not go over the 50lbs the airlines charge extra for. I was quite surprised on how accurate it was!

Archived