Boston Walking Itinerary Check, Please

TrojanJulez

Hello!

I was hoping that some of the Boston experts out there could let me know if my itinerary idea will work. We would like to visit the New England Aquarium (former marine biologist), Quincy Market (I guess... I just want to buy a "Boston" Christmas ornament), the Old North Church, and get a nice view of the USS Constitution - don't need to visit it.

I would love to know if this is a walkable route or if we should plan on public transportation - and if so, what? Is there a "name" of a place to get some Constitution pictures? Also, is there a better/recommended place to buy an ornament?

We will be in Boston on 10/10/11, Columbus Day (a Monday). Thank you!

Are you planning to walk from the Black Falcon Terminal to the Aquarium/Quincy Market area or do you want to take the ship's shuttle or public transportation to the area and then walk around from there?

There is a seasonal Christmas store that may be open by Columbus Day -

Christmas In Boston

Phone: (617) 248-9347

Check out the Harborwalk - http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/placestogo/maps/downtown.pdf

http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/placestogo/maps/southboston.pdf

Quincy Market, the Aquarium, and Old North Church are relatively close to one another. You should be able to start at the Aquarium, walk north along the water into the North End to see the church, and swing back along Hanover St. to Quincy Market. If you're going to walk from Black Falcon to this area, I would definitely recommend the Harborwalk route - you don't actually have to walk out on all the piers - you can just do the general walk along the waterfront. Print out a map of the area and mark the locations you want to see - the Harborwalk map is nice because it also shows the Freedom Trail route.

I just don't know about a view of the Consitution - there's Langone Park in the North End but I don't know if the view is good. If you want to get closer to the Constitution, there is a MBTA water taxi from Long Wharf to the Consitution for $1.70/pp each way - this is the easiest way to get over there.

Make sure you get something to eat in the North End, that's where the Old North Church is. Every restaurant is great. Grab a cannoli at Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry. If the lines are too long go to Bova Bakery, 134 Salem Street usually no line. Check them all out online before you go.

Thank you so much for those great details, 138east - I was hoping you'd chime in! ;)

I used mapquest walking route to plot that itinerary, and it looks like a 45 minute walk from the pier to the aquarium, so maybe public transportation is best. Although the harbor walk looks interesting... is it easily accessible from the pier (i.e. will we find it)? Can you help me with public transportation?

Thanks for the water taxi and Christmas store info, too. It looks like it's in Fannueil Market Place, which looks like it's right next door to Quincy? (Quincy is on my map, lol).

Good advice about the connoli's. I'm guessing the north end is Italian?

The Aquarium area is awkward to get to via public transit. You would take the Silver Line SL2 from Black Falcon pier to South Station where you would transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife one flight down. Take any train one stop to Downtown Crossing (get on the front car of the train) and transfer to the Orange Line direction Oak Grove. Take any train one stop to State and transfer to the Blue Line direction Wonderland. Take any train one stop to Aquariium. Or..... from South station take the Red Line 2 stops to Park St (get on the last car of the train) and transfer to the Green Line direction Lechmere. Take any trolley one stop to Government Center and transfer to the Blue Line direction Wonderland. Take any train two stops to Aquarium. To do this route you will spend more time waiting for the train connections than the actual train ride itself.

Another option would be to just get off at South Station and walk up Atlantic Ave. At Northern Avenue you would make a right towards the Northern Avenue bridge and look for the entrance to the Harborwalk boardwalk at the edge of the bridge. This would cut out the least interesting part of the walk between Black Falcon and the Northern Avenue Bridge. This shorter walk should be about 20 minutes depending on how much you linger.

Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market are essentially the same place and folks refer to the area by both names. Faneuil hall is a pre revolutionary building and Quincy Market is a series of three buildings that were originally markets but are now a shopping mall and eateries. The North End is Italian and a short walk from Faneuil Hall.

We were there last week and decidednto take a cab from Black Falcon Cruise Terminal to the Aquarium. The cab was under $10 and very convenient. You can easily walk to all of your desired destinations from the NE Aquarium. Have fun in Boston!

• 2 weeks later...
Can you scooter from Black Falcon Terminal to Quincy Market area -- been told the shuttle does not have accessibility. For person walking -- how far? V.:)

It's approximately two miles from Black Falcon to Quincy Market.

The Silver Line (which is really a bus) is the newest line on the MBTA service. I would think it would be accessible. Take a look at the MBTA website http://www.mbta.com.

The walk from South Station (where the Silver Line has a stop) to the Aquarium is a nice harbor walk. It reminds you why Boston was such a hub of activity in the Colonial period (OK I know much of the wharf area is newer landfill but still). The rest of your plans look reasonable. You'll see a nice portion of the city. Come back sometime and do more. And, I agree, have lunch in the North End.

The Ride is not for visitors or just a one shot deal. It is run by the MBTA for people with disabilities who can't use public transportation, can't go places themselves or can't walk from one place to the other. You need a permanent medical reason and a doctor needs to fill out a form.

138East - Please don't give out information that you are not familiar with.

The Ride is not for visitors or just a one shot deal. It is run by the MBTA for people with disabilities who can't use public transportation, can't go places themselves or can't walk from one place to the other. You need a permanent medical reason and a doctor needs to fill out a form.

138East - Please don't give out information that you are not familiar with.

Thank you for clarifying this information... 138East was trying to be helpful and didn't mean to mislead anyone intentionally, I'm sure.

Thanks Host Caroline. Please note that I suggested that the poster check out the Ride and that they might qualify, but that there would be "red tape". I also provided the appropriate MBTA link. The Ride is not limited to Mass residents - it is available to qualifying visitors. This is from the MBTA web site.

" THE RIDE is also available to ADA certified out-of-area and/or out-of-state travelers visiting the area. Some documentation is required. Visitors, please make advanced arrangements by calling (800) 533-6282 in-state toll free or (617) 222-5123 or TTY (617) 222-5415.

In order to use THE RIDE you must complete and submit an application. Per ADA regulations, 21 days is allowed to process applications upon receipt. Only completed signed original applications, mailed to the address below, will be considered for review. You will receive written notification of eligibility via U.S. mail.

Download THE RIDE application - PDF version | WORD version

Or contact the Office of Transportation to request an application.

MBTA Office for Transportation Access

10 Park Plaza - Room 5750

Boston, MA 02116

(800) 533-6282 in-state toll free

(617) 222-5123

TTY (617) 222-5415"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived