excursions in St. Peter Port and Guernsey

silkman

None of O's excursions to Guernsey seem particularly interesting(to me). Is there anything wortwhile to see in St. Peter Port. Has anyone gotten a taxi at St. Peter Port and toured on their own?

None of O's excursions to Guernsey seem particularly interesting(to me). Is there anything wortwhile to see in St. Peter Port. Has anyone gotten a taxi at St. Peter Port and toured on their own?

Yes, three friends and I just did that last month. We had planned to take the 7 or 7A bus around the island, but after we'd read that sometimes the wait for the busses was lengthy (and our port time was not), we decided to try a cab. There was only one available when we disembarked, and I believe he charged 40 GBP/hour. He took us wherever we wanted: to the Little Chapel and to the German Occupation Hospital, various scenic vistas, and dropped us off in town after a couple of hours. Then we had lunch, shopped for a while, and went back to the ship. It's a beautiful island! http://www.visitguernsey.com/gettingaround/

If you haven't already read it, you might take a look at The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Its a charming story that takes place during the German occupation of Guernsey and certainly makes me want to see the place where it took place. :):)

This is a charming island and a very unexpected pleasure on our British Isles tour last summer. By the time we booked the cruise, many of the excursions were full so we just went on our own. The main town is right at the pier and is very walkable. There is a fort with a storied past right in the port. Many cute shops and restaurants line the street facing the water. After walking to the fort we walked up a few steep hills to Victor Hugo's house, Hauteville House. He lived here during his exile from France and wrote Les Mis as well as others. There are alternating French and English tour of the interior. If you really want to see inside, be sure to check out the times. When we were there it was the French tour so we just went into the gardens in the back. The French gov't has recently restore the gardens and they are beautiful. The view overlooks the port and is spectacular.

As others have said, there are many other interesting WWII sites around the island, but even if you just stay in port and walk around, it's worth getting off the ship. Also, don't forget to sample the famous Guernsey ice cream.

I think you'll enjoy St. Peter Port but it's also worthwhile to get out to other parts of Guernsey. When we visited back in May '08, we circumnavigated the Island on bus #7A. This is a regular bus, not a HOHO. It was a remarkable deal (60p per ride) for a leisurely scenic ride around the coastal perimeter of the entire Island. A fairly detailed route map was provided which described various sights along the way. We got off at the stop closest to the German Occupation Museum and then walked thru lovely countryside to the Little Chapel. This is a tiny jewel of a church built with mosaics of all shapes and sizes. We thought it might be tourist-tacky but it was superb and quite impressive. Google it. We then returned to St. Peter Port on bus #4 and went to the Ship & Crown Pub for fish & chips and Guinness. We spied our Captain having a meal there, so we knew we were in the right place! We finished the day on High Street, checking out (but not finding) any amazing duty-free deals.

Personally I did not enjoy St Peter Port. I feel it is dominated by duty free shops which are somewhat tacky.

We shall be visiting there for a second time this August on Marina. I sent off and received a brochure from the Guernsey tourist board. We intend taking the #7 bus (Now £1) and doing our own thing. The schedule looks very regular in August. If we come across problems we shall go into the nearest shop/hotel/ restaurant and ask them to call a taxi to take us back to the port. The island is not very big so it should not cost very much. My DH has a real phobia about missing the ship so we will allow plenty of time to get back to the port.

We have missed this port a number of times on previous cruises because the weather has to be quite good for the tenders to operate.

Be careful to check your change and ask for GB currency as it may be difficult to use/exchange Guernsey currency at other places.

Archived