Gem out of NY 8-7-11 best spot?

pdteneyck

Leaving out of NY on the gem August 7th, Can anyone tell me the best place to be on the ship on the the sail away?

That is a really great question. However, without any context to define "best", how can anyone possibly give any sort of meaningful answer?

What one person considers to be the "best" may not be what another considers to be the "best".

What is "best" for me, may not be what is "best" for you.

Perhaps you feel "best" is outdoors...somebody else feels "best" is indoors. Who is right? Perhaps you feel a view of New Jersey would be "best"...somebody else feels a New York view would be the "best". Who is right?

If you really want an answer to your question, you have to define what YOU consider to be the "best". What are your "musts" and "must nots"? Once you have that, you simply find the place on the ship that gives you access to the most items on your list.

YOUR cruise is only going to leave New York one time. Don't waste it taking a chance that someone else's "best" is equal to your own. You only get one shot at it....do what YOU think is best and have a GREAT TIME!!!

Sort of like the "best meal", or "best drink". Varies by person.

But, with that said, we like to be topside to see the city as you leave, going by the Statue of Liberty. And then some people like to be there as you head under the V-Narrows bridge.

I know some prefer to be in the dining room on sail away. I am totally against that.

Find a place topside, and preferably where it is not too difficult to walk to the other side of the ship to see other things.

From reading reviews about the Gem, I have noticed that deck 14 seems to be mentioned a lot for the place to go for sailaways. It is not very crowded there and people say you can see easily both sides of the ship. It has a sundeck up there. Decks 7 and 13 are also mentioned. I know 7 has a promenade around the ship. I suggest you go to the deckplans for the Gem and you can decide which area you like the best. Some people like a lot of partying and noise. I think those areas are away from all of that.

to make a long,hot,bad knees story short, if you have an aft balcony STAY on it!!! deck 14 was mobbed last week. i might try the great outdoors if i were to ;eave from nyc again. my husband got even better pics as we arrived back in nyc. just a breathtaking few mimutes....

Just got back on 6/26. Forward on deck 14 was a good view for both sides of the Hudson. When I looked again, I should have gone up one more deck, it is smaller but would have havd a better view with no glass to look through, the highest deck (freestyle deck) would not have been good. If you stay on your balcony - you will only see one side - if you see NYC you will miss the Statue of Liberty.

Just got back on 6/26. Forward on deck 14 was a good view for both sides of the Hudson. When I looked again, I should have gone up one more deck, it is smaller but would have havd a better view with no glass to look through, the highest deck (freestyle deck) would not have been good. If you stay on your balcony - you will only see one side - if you see NYC you will miss the Statue of Liberty.

Not if you have a stern balcony/suite. Great view of both sides to take tons of photos!

Everyone will be on the upper outside decks to see the statue of liberty as you pass by. Very hard to get a good spot unless you "camp out". Lower and less crowded would be good for photo opts of the statue.

After passing the statue everyone will clear out. Get up as high and forward as you can. 15 -20 minutes after the Lady Liberty you'll go under the Verrazano (?) bridge. Amazing! The ship looks like it has no clearence at all.

The few people that are left are there to see just that.

If you have a balcony that is the best spot to be for sail away. Especially if you have an AFT balcony as you will have an amazing view of the New York skyline and the Statute of Liberty. The poolside gets very crowded. The Spinnaker Lounge has always been a favorite of mine and the view is incredible there as well.

Thanks to everyone! its our first cruise, would really like to see statue of Liberty -on the way out and skyline on way back without being too crowded. Also a place to sit my wife has a bad back and cannot stand or sit for too long. Guess we will pick a spot and see what happens. Thanks again..

Archived