Eden Rock

quiltsnh

Any info would be appreciated.... how far from dock, whats there, how is snorkeling, can you rent eqiupment there??? how much and is it the same place as Abanks???

Thanx

Granduer 1999

Victory 2001

Triumph 2003

Explorer 2005

Check out their website: www.edenrockdive.com.

You can see their building to the right when you are tendering in. They are just a block or two over. Yes, they rent equipment, but I don't remember how much it costed us (we rented fins only). Lockers were $5 when we were there. We enjoyed the snorkeling; saw a lot of fish and a stingray.

On our first cruise 10yrs ago we were on a tight budget so we attempted to do just about everything on our own. We were referred here by the crusieship staff. It is just to the right of where the tender boats come and go. look for the flag. The beach area was nice (remember a hurricane riped through there) and the snorkeling was good. We enjoyed laying on the beach and then strolled through town. It made for a nice cheap day. We rented our snorkel stuff on the boat.

Eden Rock dive center is about 100 feet past Abanks. INnmy opinion, the staff were nicer at Abanks, the beach was nicer and everything was a tiny bit cheaper.

What beach are you talking about........the place that has deck chairs? I just don't remember a beach anywhere on the waterfront. Not that I don't believe you; I am going back to Grand Cayman in June and am curious. Thanx:)

What beach are you talking about........the place that has deck chairs? I just don't remember a beach anywhere on the waterfront. Not that I don't believe you; I am going back to Grand Cayman in June and am curious. Thanx:)

There was a small "beach" right next to Abanks...it is probably the same place you are remembering. It is built into the rocks by the waterfront. You have to get there early to get a chair though.

It is probably not what most beach goers would want but for just laying the sun and people watching it was great!

For those of you who have snorkeled at Eden Rock Dive Center....did you snorkel right off the shore or did you have to go off a boat? Were there lots of people snorkeling? And, if off the shore, how far of a swim was it to get to good snorkeling? I'm glad to hear they have storage lockers for rent.....anything else I should know if we are interested in snorkeling there?

Thanks!

We snorkeled right from "shore".......there's a ladder down to the water. There were hardly any people snorkeling other than our group of 6 when we went. There were a few other people coming in as we were leaving. It's a big area so you won't be swimming into people even if it gets a little crowded. We tried with just water shoes at first, but then went back in to rent fins. That worked out much better. Didn't have to go out too far before we saw fish.

We were there in February (Eden Rock). I rented a mask and vest for $14. There is a lot to see within 25 yards of where you enter, so you don't really need fins. The "beach" is a sandy area with some lounge chairs. You enter the water down some steps carved into the coral. A little tricky, but not bad.

For experienced snorklers, there are some caves further out (maybe 100 yards or so), but my wife didn't trust me to go that far. They feed the fish near the shore, so there are lots of them close in. From what I found through my research before the cruise, Eden Rock is about as good as it gets without going out by boat. It was actually better than the Coral Gardens on the way to Stnigray City.

We were there in February (Eden Rock). I rented a mask and vest for $14. There is a lot to see within 25 yards of where you enter, so you don't really need fins. The "beach" is a sandy area with some lounge chairs. You enter the water down some steps carved into the coral. A little tricky, but not bad.

For experienced snorklers, there are some caves further out (maybe 100 yards or so), but my wife didn't trust me to go that far. They feed the fish near the shore, so there are lots of them close in. From what I found through my research before the cruise, Eden Rock is about as good as it gets without going out by boat. It was actually better than the Coral Gardens on the way to Stnigray City.

Did you snorkel near the "beach"........just asking because to get into the water right in front (back) of Eden Rock Dive Center, you use an actual metal ladder, and there are no lounge chairs there. I think there are 2 dive shops, each with entry to the water. I usually am fine without fins, but the day we were there it was a little rough (it didn't rain at the port, but people on the stingray tours said there was a brief downpour there).

Question: about the caves, where did you find out about that? We are going to Grand Cayman again and that sounds interesting. Did you find a map on-line? Thanx

There were six ships in port that day, and Eden Rock (the restaurant part) was packed. I didn't see a metal ladder. The entry point I described (and the lounge chairs/sandy area) is on the side of Eden Rock closer to the cruise ship terminal.

Someone sitting next to us on the "beach" told me about the caves.

I did a little internet surfing and found a website for Abanks too. Would I be correct in assuming that Eden Rock Dive Center and Abanks are quite near each other with access (either ladder-Eden Rock Dive or little beach w/steps-Abanks) into the same general area of water for snorkeling? I'm just trying to get my bearings on what I'm looking for when we get off the tender!

I believe Eden Rock 'shore' (metal ladder) entry is easy dive over to Devil's Grotto (it's been a few yrs - memory is a little fuzzy) - Devil's Grotto is not a closed 'cave' but more a diving area with wide open top that permits light shafts which create the most interesting of photo ops (for those of you w/underwater photo interests). Go to www.cathychurch.com to find some worthwhile pix. Diving around the world, I've never found any site so completely crystal clear with the interesting light shafts of Devil's Grotto.

I did a little internet surfing and found a website for Abanks too. Would I be correct in assuming that Eden Rock Dive Center and Abanks are quite near each other with access (either ladder-Eden Rock Dive or little beach w/steps-Abanks) into the same general area of water for snorkeling? I'm just trying to get my bearings on what I'm looking for when we get off the tender!

Yes that's right. You can enter at either place and you will be snorkeling in the same area.

There were six ships in port that day, and Eden Rock (the restaurant part) was packed. I didn't see a metal ladder. The entry point I described (and the lounge chairs/sandy area) is on the side of Eden Rock closer to the cruise ship terminal.

Someone sitting next to us on the "beach" told me about the caves.

Thank you. There will be 7 ships in port the next time we're there!:eek: I didn't think so many people could fit in Grand Cayman! Stingray City will probably be a zoo. We'll probably do our own snorkeling, like last time and try to stay away from the crowds, if possible.

I believe Eden Rock 'shore' (metal ladder) entry is easy dive over to Devil's Grotto (it's been a few yrs - memory is a little fuzzy) - Devil's Grotto is not a closed 'cave' but more a diving area with wide open top that permits light shafts which create the most interesting of photo ops (for those of you w/underwater photo interests). Go to www.cathychurch.com to find some worthwhile pix. Diving around the world' date=' I've never found any site so completely crystal clear with the interesting light shafts of Devil's Grotto.[/quote']

Thanx for the info.

Thank you. There will be 7 ships in port the next time we're there!:eek: I didn't think so many people could fit in Grand Cayman! Stingray City will probably be a zoo. We'll probably do our own snorkeling, like last time and try to stay away from the crowds, if possible.

There were 8 :eek: :eek: ships in port when I was there a few days ago.

Georgetown was crowded and traffic was incredible, but stingray sandbar was not so bad.

Archived