Princess-No Bermuda itinerary in 2012?

Loving My Life

Does Princess not go to Bermuda at all next summer? I recently booked the Summit (Celebrity) to Bermuda because it appears the only options for 2012 are Norwegian, X, and HAL. I really want to try Princess so I was disappointed when I didn't find any itineraries to Bermuda. I was originally going to book with HAL because it docks in Hamilton and St. George, but read so many negative comments about cabins that reek of smoke that I decided to book with X due to their smoking policy.

Maybe I will try Princess when planning our Alaska or Med cruise (without the kids) in 2013....

Other than as a port on the New York > Caribbean cruises, I think the last time Princess sailed to Bermuda was with the original Pacific Princess, years ago.

Having just done the Summit to Bermuda, I'd recommend HAL which docks in Hamilton. The Summit docks at Kings Wharf which might be nice for a day but for three days, meant that you had to take the ferry to Hamilton (1/2 hour ride) instead of being able to walk off the ship and directly onto Front Street. It was far from the beaches and snorkeling. The passengers on the Veendam also had ring side "seats" to the Harbor Lights festival.

Other than as a port on the New York > Caribbean cruises, I think the last time Princess sailed to Bermuda was with the original Pacific Princess, years ago.

Having just done the Summit to Bermuda, I'd recommend HAL which docks in Hamilton. The Summit docks at Kings Wharf which might be nice for a day but for three days, meant that you had to take the ferry to Hamilton (1/2 hour ride) instead of being able to walk off the ship and directly onto Front Street. It was far from the beaches and snorkeling. The passengers on the Veendam also had ring side "seats" to the Harbor Lights festival.

We sailed to Bermuda last year on Hal, no problems with smoking and it really was convenient. Best entertainment ever on that cruise.

We sailed to Bermuda last year on Hal, no problems with smoking and it really was convenient. Best entertainment ever on that cruise.
HAL is also implementing a non-smoking policy in January only they are allowing it on balconies, not in cabins.

HAL is also implementing a non-smoking policy in January only they are allowing it on balconies, not in cabins.

The balconies are where most of the complaints came from to begin with.

Do you recall what year the last of the Princess Bermuda cruises were?

There was an article in the USA Today about a new cruise line being invited to go to Bermuda next season & an announcement was suppose to be last Friday but I still haven't seen anything.

The balconies are where most of the complaints came from to begin with.

Do you recall what year the last of the Princess Bermuda cruises were?

There was an article in the USA Today about a new cruise line being invited to go to Bermuda next season & an announcement was suppose to be last Friday but I still haven't seen anything.

I'm just guessing but I think the last Princess cruise to Bermuda was in 2005. The issues with cruises to Bermuda have been two-fold. One is that Bermuda has been very picky about which ships and cruiselines could dock there and they didn't want many. The other reason is that only relatively small ships can dock in Hamilton and Princess doesn't have any small enough. The Pacific and Ocean Princess are small but their itineraries are far more lucrative. This is in reference to a NY to Bermuda and return cruise. Princess has had a ship for a while that docked there but just for the day. While Bermuda wants more cruise ships now, the locals don't like the cruise passengers filling the ferry and buses. There were huge problems the weeks up until our cruise where only a few buses went from Kings Wharf to Hamilton, stranding thousands of cruise passengers. I read a number of horror stories.

I truly doubt Princess will return to Bermuda on a regular basis since other cruiselines are already in the market and oversaturating the market would mean lower prices and less profit. As always, follow the money. :)

I'm just guessing but I think the last Princess cruise to Bermuda was in 2005. The issues with cruises to Bermuda have been two-fold. One is that Bermuda has been very picky about which ships and cruiselines could dock there and they didn't want many. The other reason is that only relatively small ships can dock in Hamilton and Princess doesn't have any small enough. The Pacific and Ocean Princess are small but their itineraries are far more lucrative. This is in reference to a NY to Bermuda and return cruise. Princess has had a ship for a while that docked there but just for the day. While Bermuda wants more cruise ships now, the locals don't like the cruise passengers filling the ferry and buses. There were huge problems the weeks up until our cruise where only a few buses went from Kings Wharf to Hamilton, stranding thousands of cruise passengers. I read a number of horror stories.

I truly doubt Princess will return to Bermuda on a regular basis since other cruiselines are already in the market and oversaturating the market would mean lower prices and less profit. As always, follow the money. :)

Just left the Caribbean Princess yesterday after doing Canada and NE. The sailing that started on 7/1 has Bermuda as one of its ports of call. So Princess is sailing this year to Bermuda.

The Capt. Circle rep did not know why Princess is not sailing in 2012 our of Red Hook until the fall but did say they were returning in 2013. In 2012, they will be doing Australia sailings.

He did say that when we get our survey in a few days to indicate we want a ship out of Red Hook before the fall. Princess has made a lot of changes in their menus and activities as a result of passenger feedback.

MARAPRINCE

Just left the Caribbean Princess yesterday after doing Canada and NE. The sailing that started on 7/1 has Bermuda as one of its ports of call. So Princess is sailing this year to Bermuda.
What the OP is asking about is round-trip cruises from NYC to Bermuda and return. It's true that Princess has itineraries that include a stop in Bermuda for the day, but it doesn't overnight for three nights which is what the OP is asking about and what I've been referring to. So, the bottom line is that Princess doesn't, and hasn't, had an itinerary to just Bermuda in years. :)

Pam's guesstimate sounds about right, but I thought it may have been 2002 when Princess stopped doing Bermuda cruises. (I did a Princess Bermuda cruise in 2000 or 2001.) Looks like we may have to jump over to HAL. As Pam suggested, I love the fact that they visit St. George, then move over to Hamilton. Originally we were going to do Celebrity but after reading Pam's review, I learned HAL docks in Hamilton. That sold us on taking a look at HAL for 2013.

It would be nice to have Princess doing Bermuda cruises again, but I am not going to hold my breath. I'll have to start doing research on HAL I guess. I'm not thrilled with King's Wharf and that's where Royal, Celebrity, and NCL dock.

I'm guessing it was long before 2005 otherwise we would have taken a Princess ship to Bermuda instead of Celebrity or RCI.
You are absolutely right. I just did a little more digging and the current Pacific Princess was refurbished in 2002, which means she joined the fleet shortly afterwards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_(ship)

Does Princess not go to Bermuda at all next summer? I recently booked the Summit (Celebrity) to Bermuda because it appears the only options for 2012 are Norwegian, X, and HAL. I really want to try Princess so I was disappointed when I didn't find any itineraries to Bermuda. I was originally going to book with HAL because it docks in Hamilton and St. George, but read so many negative comments about cabins that reek of smoke that I decided to book with X due to their smoking policy.

Maybe I will try Princess when planning our Alaska or Med cruise (without the kids) in 2013....

What with the forthcoming changes to the Princess smoking policy, effective January 2012, there will be no smoking allowed in staterooms or on balconies, so you need not worry about "reeking" cabins.

Anyone reported smoking or caught smoking in the cabin or on the balcony will be subject to an immediate USD$250 fine which will be added on to the stateroom account of the violator.

If you truly had preferred Princess as your default choice, it would appear you've jumped the gun on this one.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived