Cunard gratuities

Alona

I NEVER find this subject tedious. If I did, I would just avoid the threads - as I do with those connected with dancing - I don't have a partner!!!:D

ALL the cruiselines notify the staff of those who have not auto-tipped.

I happen to believe that if I don't tip in advance, I then receive better service!!

On Princess we left the tips on and the service was abysmal in the Dining Room. So, I removed the tips and just tipped every night. After a few nights, servers were rushing forward for our business and couldn't do enough for us.

I still say its human nature to work for tips!! And I don't believe that they should all receive the same, when one is a slacker as sometimes happens. My money, my choice - or should be!!

BMT, I agree with your statement "My money, my choice". But with respect, I strongly disagree with the remainder of your statments, but most especially the poverty of your sentiments is just plain sad.

The staff does not know, nor can they know unless they are clairvoyant - if passengers remove the auto tip just prior to disemarkation, as is the practice of some passengers.

To the best of my knowledge, on Cunard ships, it is neither the custom or practice of passengers to "tip" the servers in the main dining room each night although I can understand how that practice might work on a Princess ship since the dining venues work differently on anytime dining venues.

Quite frankly, my gratuities to the staff are modest, but the staff is generous in appreciating acknowledgment of their hard work. Perhaps respect is mutual.

Regards,

Salacia

My views on tipping are on previous posts in this thread. However, I have to say that on our last Cunard cruise, despite not removing the automatic tip, the staff were very noticeably trying extra hard on the last night. Even a previously extremely grumpy bar steward suddenly developed a frightening smile! Very off putting. As is the whole rigmarole................

My belief is that if the person or persons have been attentive, cordial, and not too familiar, on time, happy and informative and if I plan to be in the same place again soon-- and if I think they will remember me, then and only then will I tip.

I understood it to mean the tipping or non-tipping culture of the passengers (Americans have tipping culture while British and Australians less so although the habit is spreading). It benefits some to keep this all a mystery.

Which habit is spreading, tipping or not tipping?

It has been stated on this and similar threads that the staff are informed which passengers opt out of the auto payment and by extension this is to let them know that any tips they receive from these passengers must be turned over to the pool. What authority do we have that this indeed the case? As has been asked but not yet answered, what of the passengers who opt out on the last day. How can anyone possibly know about the odd $20 bill slipped inside a handshake? Much has been made of the honour system. Are all the staff equally honourable? Such a system would be a nightmare to police. Until and IF we get a fully supported statement from a serving staff member this is all speculation and hearsay. And in any event is actually none of our business. When you pay the bill in a restaurant and inlude the tip on your CC slip how do you know how much the waiter gets or even if he gets any at all and if the behind the scenes guys get any. And having paid the bill do you care or fret over it or write about it to the foodie magazines. I suspect not. Why is it different on cruise ships? There cannot be many of us who would not bristle at having our personal financial affairs pored over to this extent by a bunch of strangers. We all know before we board what charges are expected, we pay them or not at our discretion but this seemingly endless breast-beating and indeed in some instances brow-beating, is quite futile until suchtime as the cruisline sets out in chapter and verse the workings of the tipping system and I think we will be all a lot longer in the tooth before that happens.

G.Rat

It has been stated on this and similar threads that the staff are informed which passengers opt out of the auto payment and by extension this is to let them know that any tips they receive from these passengers must be turned over to the pool.

G.Rat

It appears when they swipe your card and it also depends on the amount of tips the staff member in question has received in total if it is turned over or not got this info from a friend who currently work onboard QM2

J

It appears when they swipe your card and it also depends on the amount of tips the staff member in question has received in total if it is turned over or not got this info from a friend who currently work onboard QM2

J

But, broadly speaking, those receiving the benefits of the "hotel and dining charge" will not be those who swipe your card.

The Real PM - The habit which I believe is spreading is that of tipping. For many years it has been the habit to tip in America but in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand (to mention a few) it has not always been the habit to tip. Back in the fifties/sixties Americans visiting Ireland, for example, were very popular because they tipped and very generously at times.

Galleyrat - I never include a tip on the CC bill in a restaurant as I am not the most trusting person. I will hand it in cash to the waiter/waitress - as long as things were ok. What they do with it (keep it/pool it) is their concern.

The Real PM - The habit which I believe is spreading is that of tipping. For many years it has been the habit to tip in America but in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand (to mention a few) it has not always been the habit to tip. Back in the fifties/sixties Americans visiting Ireland, for example, were very popular because they tipped and very generously at times.

Galleyrat - I never include a tip on the CC bill in a restaurant as I am not the most trusting person. I will hand it in cash to the waiter/waitress - as long as things were ok. What they do with it (keep it/pool it) is their concern.

From what I hear most of the service industry in the UK are paid better than they are in the US. That higher pay accounts for higher prices.

Here, often times waiters only receive $3 or $4, and the rest comes from the paying customer. So that is why there has always been tipping by Americans. And I imagine many of them do not know that service help gets better pay across the pond.:)

Just back from the QV. Our sommelier in the Princess Grill explained a fairly involved formula where they personally kept a high percentage (perhaps 70% - I forget) of each of the tips and then the remainder is shared between the other 20 or so others. I presume then that this becomes even more complicated when factoring their daily tip allocation.

Anyway, we tend to cancel the auto tipe and decide who we want to give money to. We also give special gifts to those that give us exceptional service. In addition to tips, once we bought scarves for all the waitresses in one of the restaurants as they were all so good and corkscrews for the waiters. We also gave them bracelets, neclaces, and even my husband gave someone his watch on the last day as they had taken a liking to it. They were exceptional.

We know that they are low-paid as one of the staff came back and said we doubled their wages for the week and then gave myself and my husband a huge hug. Over the fortnight on that cruise (Celebrity) we gave roughly double what they would have had through the auto tip system. On QV, with the exception of three members of staff, they ended up with the minimum suggested as that was the level of service that they provided.

A fellow CC member has just posted on the UK cruisers board that the consumer programme Watchdog on BBC1 at 8:00pm next Thursday will be looking into the subject of tipping on cruise ships. Should be interesting :rolleyes:

A fellow CC member has just posted on the UK cruisers board that the consumer programme Watchdog on BBC1 at 8:00pm next Thursday will be looking into the subject of tipping on cruise ships. Should be interesting :rolleyes:

Hi Me 2. If possible, would you share information for those of us who are not able to receive that programme? Thank you. -Salacia

Just back from the QV. Our sommelier in the Princess Grill explained a fairly involved formula where they personally kept a high percentage (perhaps 70% - I forget) of each of the tips and then the remainder is shared between the other 20 or so others. I presume then that this becomes even more complicated when factoring their daily tip allocation.

Strange! I had always believed the sommeliers were essentially bar staff and subsisted only on the 15% added to wine and drink bills,and did not share in the autotip.

Hi Me 2. If possible, would you share information for those of us who are not able to receive that programme? Thank you. -Salacia

There is a way you can watch it on BBC i Player. There is a program (I believe) that sort of gives an IP address that allows you to connect to iplayer. If you google "BBC iplayer in USA" I think you may find out.

Trevor

The Real PM - I am aware of the differences but there are many who are not on both sides of the pond. I prefer the pay system in the UK maybe because it is what I am familiar with but I think it is fairer and it is not left to chance. I would hate to work for a pittance and have to depend on the goodwill of customers for a proper wage. Just my thoughts.

I will see if I can get a copy to host elsewhere after the broadcast.

Will be interesting to see what gets mentioned about the law with regards to tipping, & what laws & customs apply to ships.

Ultimately, a lot of this is fear based, will the steward dip your toothbrush in the toilet, will the waiter spit in the soup, if you don't autotip? Wise up, these are cruise ships not prisons, in fact nothing will happen. If the staff is that rotten you don't want to be there in the first place.

Ultimately, a lot of this is fear based, will the steward dip your toothbrush in the toilet, will the waiter spit in the soup, if you don't autotip? Wise up, these are cruise ships not prisons, in fact nothing will happen. If the staff is that rotten you don't want to be there in the first place.

i disagree. now tipping the porters, thats a fear based tip.

Archived