Juneau - Shuttle to town?

emmtee

I just received instructions from our private tour operator on how to get to the pickup spot. She said we are to get off the ship and look for a small booth that sells tickets for a shuttle to town. We are to buy tickets there, and take the shuttle to the Mt. Roberts Tramway. That is where our bus will be waiting.

Does anyone know anything about this shuttle to town? How much does it cost? (We have adults and children in the group.) How accessible is it? (Dad uses a walker, but could get up steps with help.) How many seats? (We have a group of 21.)Also, is the Mt. Roberts Tramway within walking distance from the pier? We will be on the Sapphire Princess, last ship to arrive in Juneau that day, but I know we are docking, not tendering.

I am going to make assumptions which will detail for you.

The Sapphire will dock at the AJ Dock (which it did last year). There will be continously running shuttle buses to the Tram parking lot, which is near the various vendor booths.

Princess charges for this shuttle?? Some cruiselines do, some do not. If there is a charge it has been less that $5 in the past. Just get on a bus, and don't worry about everyone being on the same bus- which is going to involve too much "work". It is a 5 minute ride, and I am certain, you can find your party easily at the drop off. These have been a mixture of tour and school bus types. If your father can do steps, then just firmly state to any one hogging the front seats that you need one. Seat him and the rest of you move to other open seats.

Thanks! This is very reassuring. I don't know if the shuttle will have a charge, but the tour company rep said that they "sell" tickets at a small booth, so that's my assumption. It's best to be prepared.

Why not call Princess, or your TA to call them? When I was on a Celebrity ship docked there, there was a bus, And I'd not heard a word about it, so walked! But apparently it was there for any or everyone to use. It was a green military type bus. Hopefully someone who's been on a Princess cruise docked at Aj will advise you. I'll look in the Patters for my ship (don't know where it docks in Juneau) and advise if it mentions a bus. It is NOT listed as a shore excursion, I know that.

Someone on another thread said they had used the shuttle on a Princess cruise, and it was $3.00. I did some more poking around and found the AJ dock on a map. It looks like it's about a mile to the Tram, so maybe some of us will walk it if we feel up to it. Our ship arrives at 2:00 and our tour is from 3:30 to 8:00, so we have plenty of time.

Thanks for all the advice. We leave tomorrow for a few days in Seattle prior to our cruise.

We had the same issue we got off of Princess Cruise ship and could not find any transfers up to Mt. Roberts tram. We ended up walking which is a little bit of a hike (uphill) if you have trouble walking. It would be best if you could pre-arrange transportation.

Thanks,

Calypso45

Archived