Where to stay? Early mornig flight...

msalisbury

::VENICE::

We are disembarking the boat in the morning on the 20th, and our flight doesn't take off until 7:30am the following morning. Our flight is either to Paris for a layover or to USA (can't remember at the moment.)

Should we stay somewhere in town, and then either taxi or metro to the airport in the morning? Or should we stay near the airport and have our bags held during the day while we walk around?

Also, any advice on places to stay would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

It's easy enough to get to the airport in the morning, so if you'd like to see Venice at night (it truly is a different place after the day trippers leave), find a hotel near Piazzale Roma. You can easily get a land cab or a bus to the airport from there, even very early in the morning. The trip at that hour is only 15 - 20 minutes.

If you'd feel more comfortable staying near the airport, you can leave your bags at the left luggage office in Piazzale Rome until you are ready to head to your hotel for the night.

I'm also sailing on the Jade and my flight also leaves Venice for Paris at 7am the day after arriving on the cruise. We chose to stay in Mestre as it will give us the convenience of being a 15 minute ride away from the airport but at the same time be near Venice to enjoy our last day.

There are several hotels right in front of the Mestre Ferrovia Station and from there a 5 minute ride or a 10 minute bus ride to Venice Piazzale Roma. Trains run from Mestre to Venice and back until 11.30 pm so no problem if you want to stay in Venice after the day trippers have left.

To the airport just take a taxi or a bus from the train station.

Hotels in Mestre will cost you less than those in Venice.

o

It's easy enough to get to the airport in the morning, so if you'd like to see Venice at night (it truly is a different place after the day trippers leave), find a hotel near Piazzale Roma. You can easily get a land cab or a bus to the airport from there, even very early in the morning. The trip at that hour is only 15 - 20 minutes.

If you'd feel more comfortable staying near the airport, you can leave your bags at the left luggage office in Piazzale Rome until you are ready to head to your hotel for the night.

Hello, We are also taking a cruise which starts in venice. we are looking for a clean, reasonable hotel on piazzale roma as I see that it is easy to get to from the airport by bus and i believe my cruise ship has a free shuttle from the piazzale roma. I would really appreciate any recommendations as I would like to book something very soon. Thank you so much!:)

Mestre is just across the causeway from Venice (2 miles) so whether you stay in Piazzale Roma or Mestre you're 15-20 minutes from the airport. There is an ATVO express bus from either location. 5E.

Hotels are generally less expensive in Mestre. If you stay in Mestre just be sure to come back to Venice in the evening to experience a ride along the Grand Canal in the dark and enjoy the lights and wonderful atmosphere.

You can find hotels using venere.com or trip advisor or nozio.com or any of the travel books. This link also

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

We have decided to stay in Venice, even though it is more expensive.

We only have one day there, and being a 20-30 minute bus ride away from the main areas of Venice, we would prefer to drop our bags off immediately and get to exploring the town.

Thank you for your input! We will definitely stay near the airport buses, since that seems like a great perk.

Have our hotel booked.

We are only going to be there for one day. Would you suggest that we get a 24 hour Vaporetto pass?

Care to share the name of the hotel you chose?

I booked 2 nights at a B&B near San Marco, but that's when I thought our flight would depart from Venice at 1:35 in the afternoon. We're now on a 7:45 a.m. flight, and I am looking at hotels in Mestre or Piazzale Roma.

Nancy, use the europeforvisitors link I posted above. It gives good info on Piazzale Roma hotels (including the number of bridges ). I think that site also has Mestre hotels if you look a little further.

Msalisbury,

I think we got a 12 or 18 hr pass. Either way we found ourselves using the water buses frequently, sometimesfor the full length of the canal or sometimes little hop on hop off trips. When you consider that the 6.5E per ride fare is only good for 60 minutes, all it takes it 3 rides and you've saved money.

Nancy, we decided on the Hotel Arlecchino. Reasonable price, and right in the heart of where we want to be.

ML- Thank you for the reply. I did see the website that showed the prices for a 12hr and 18hr tickets. At 6.5eu per trip... I think a pass is definitely the way to go.

Nancy, use the europeforvisitors link I posted above. It gives good info on Piazzale Roma hotels (including the number of bridges ). I think that site also has Mestre hotels if you look a little further.

Thanks!

Nancy, we decided on the Hotel Arlecchino. Reasonable price, and right in the heart of where we want to be.

Thank you - the hotel looks lovely. Checking rates for our dates, the cancellation policy isn't at all clear. I'd hate to reserve the "promo" rate - only to find out it is pre-paid and non-refundable!

We booked a non refundable room.

After I checked prices at Venere, it was obvious that the lower price was also the non-refundable one. Our ship overnights in Venice before we disembark, so it's not as important that we stay in the city.

Use the map feature on TripAdvisor to find a Mestre hotel. I've read positive comments about the Tritone, Plaza and Best Western, all of which are near the Mestre Train Station. Being near the station would be convenient for sightseeing in Venice (i think the train is 1e and under 5 minutes), plus the ATVO airport express bus leaves from Mestre Station.

BTW, be sure to be IN the airport 2 hrs before flight time; you'll need it.

http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Mestre_FS-Marco_Polo(dal_16.06_al_31.08.2011).pdf

Use the map feature on TripAdvisor to find a Mestre hotel. I've read positive comments about the Tritone, Plaza and Best Western, all of which are near the Mestre Train Station. Being near the station would be convenient for sightseeing in Venice (i think the train is 1e and under 5 minutes), plus the ATVO airport express bus leaves from Mestre Station.

BTW, be sure to be IN the airport 2 hrs before flight time; you'll need it.

http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Mestre_FS-Marco_Polo(dal_16.06_al_31.08.2011).pdf

Thank you - I am leaning towards the Tritone.

• 11 months later...

My husband and I are staying two nights in Venice before we go on Norwegian Spirit Cruise on 1 Oct. We are looking for an economical and clean hotel that is easy to get from airport to hotel by bus and from hotel to the terminal cruise (stazione mattimma). Shall I stay in Mestre or Piazzale Roma ? We would really appreciate any recommendation as we would like to book something very soon :) Thanksicon7.gif

If your flight is a 7:30- you do need to be at the airport roughly two hours before the flight. So that mean getting up at 4:30 to get to the airport in Venice by 5:30. I love Venice so my inclination would be to stay in Venice (Piazzale Roma area because of ease of getting to the airport) Personally I would do a later flight.

The hotel I like the most is the Papadopoli. I just booked it for $ 195 and its a very nice hotel.

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-1313-hotel-papadopoli-venezia-mgallery-collection/index.shtml

My husband and I are staying two nights in Venice before we go on Norwegian Spirit Cruise on 1 Oct. We are looking for an economical and clean hotel that is easy to get from airport to hotel by bus and from hotel to the terminal cruise (stazione mattimma). Shall I stay in Mestre or Piazzale Roma ? We would really appreciate any recommendation as we would like to book something very soon :) Thanksicon7.gif

You certainly get a LOT more for your money in Mestre; the hotels have more conveniences and amenities, but Mestre also adds a little 'commute'.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/planner/blp_venice_hotels_mainland.htm

Can you manage your luggage easily ? There are only 2 hotels in Piazzale Roma that require no bridge crossings .. ca doge and santa chiara. There are several with only 1 bridge to cross.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Best Western Olimpia is where we are staying. Beside the Piazzale Roma just next door to the Arlecchino. Excellent reviews and a good price.

Sent an email about something and received a reply in 3 hours. I like that.

Archived