HELP - Carnival changed our itinerary

Just saw that my upcoming cruise, we leave THIS Sat July 9th, was changed from Western Carrib to Eastern Carrib. I had done so much research of ports and excursions and now I am lost. And I had to find it out on these board first!

What are some suggestions for St Thomas and St Martin and Nassau?

Two kids ages 13 & 15. Had planned an AI beach resort in Costa Maya and a island tour with Victor Boden in Roatan.......

UGH........

Atlantis is the biggest draw in Nassau, but its $$$, staw market, walking tour?

We took a excursion thru the ship that went up the tram in St. thomas and went to Mountain Top. I heard it burned down, so not sure about rebuilding of mountain top, mostly its just a view with shopping.

then we ate a local lunch downtown, then we hopped a cab and went to coki beach, $10 to snorkel including dog biscuits. someone else mentioned their favorite beach here. I would avoid megans beach too crowded with tourists. We had such a ball on this island.

St. Marteen has two sides, french and dutch and has orient beach, half of which is sort of topless/nude.

here is a view of the two ports from going up on the tram. I think its about $20 pp, not cheap, but fun and have a bushwacker at the top and relax. The tram goes up the mountain all the way from down where you see the carnival smoke stack.

Picture074.jpg

We took a private snorkel tour when we took our four kids a couple years ago. We were picked up from the dock and then taken to the Marina on another part of the island. Snorkeled in different areas, taken to the mud bathes, it was fun. We also went to the little outlet stores for souvenirs.

Go on the Ultimate Snorkel Excursion with Stuart Cove in Nassau...much better than doing a walking tour or shopping the straw market (which is worth a look through but when we were there a couple of weeks ago, it was insanely hot inside the market). A water activity is great there, because the water is beautiful and cools you off!

If it is beaches you are after, for St Thomas you can either stay on St Thomas and head to Magens Bay or you can head to the island of St John and enjoy the great beach and snorkelling at Trunk Bay.

Trunk Bay

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

On St Maarten, the kids would enjoy Maho Beach with the planes right overhead and nearby is Mullet Bay which is a bit of a hidden gem (only due to the resort being closed and tied up in lawsuits for years so it is harder to find....but worth the effort!)

Maho Beach

IMG_5588.jpg

Mullet Bay

IMG_5586.jpg

Whatever you end up doing, relax and enjoy....you are going to some of our favorite ports!!

Megans Bay is the most beautiful beach IMHO. Been there 2 times and would go again and again.

I would stay away from the Straw Market in Nassau. I went one time and that was one time to many IMHO. I had people pulling on me wanting me to come look at their wears. It is hot and I could barely breath. I all but ran out of there.

Any idea why Carnival changed your itinerary? We are going next Saturday and did not know that this could even happen.......one more thing for me to worry about! LOL!

I am on the same cruise. The itinerary was changed due to a problem with the ship's propulsion system.

I second the recommendation to go to Trunk Bay in St John - avoid the price and crowd of the ship's tour and do it yourself - totally easy! Taxi to red hook, ferry to St. John then taxi to trunk bay **check out the ferry times ahead of time and try to get the first one - it'll get you to trunk bay before all the cruise ship tours and you can then really appreciate the beauty of the bay before the crowd comes in!

We have done the Lord Sheffield sailing trip twice out of St. Maarten - it's awesome! they have a website - short walk from the pier, totally worth it!!!

Good Luck!!

I second Stuart Cove snorkelling in Nassau.We did their snorkelling w/ sharks where you hold a rope and view sharks being fed.Awesome!Also you can booik a room at The Comfort Suites and use Atlantis facilities.The waterpark and pools are incredible.We love Megan's Bay Beach.We felt Coki Beach was small and dirty.

Was just on the Dream and did the Eastern route.

In Nassau we took a taxi and went to Atlantis (did not do an excursion$$$) we just walked around to see everything went inside

looked through the shops and got some nice pics.

After we got back to town went through the straw market (yes it

is really annoying in there but my kids wanted to go through it)

Then went to Senor Frogs (daughter turned 18 so it was a must do)

That was quite a scene and not where I would have gone normally.

Very hot, no air and tons of people - just get me out!!!!! But she

got her Strawberry margarita in "The Yard" glass:rolleyes:

In St. Thomas we took the skyride to Paradise Point. Very nice views

and awesome pics. After that we walked around did some shopping

took the stuff back to the boat and had lunch then got a taxi

and went to Megans Bay. Very beautiful beach. Our driver

stopped on the way back at a lookout point at let us take more

pics.

St. Maarten we took the water taxi right to the pier and did some

shopping the just went to the beach right there. There are

many other spot to go to but I really liked the convience of

how the area there was laid out. My kids did the banana boat

ride there. Beach, beautiful water, ships in the background

and sunny day - loved this island! (also, the 2 lounge chairs

1 umbrella and drinks for $20 was a deal too!)

I wouldn't really stress too much about planning excursions unless

there was really something you wanted to do.:)

If you have kids and want to do a tour I would recommend Sunny Liston - very fun tour with the 'dancing' bus... (shopping/touring then drop off at a beach).... also reasonable (approx $30 pp).

St. John is beautiful but you need to make sure you have enuf time in port to get there and back - also note that if you do this on your own the transportation cost (ferries/taxis) is about $50 pp

In Nassau I would recommend Blue Lagoon or doing a beach club such as the Sheraton and Wyndham (some include lunch/beach toys, etc).

And definitely as suggested in St. Martin your kids will love going to Maho beach to watch the planes come in (usually around lunchtime) - you can hang out at the Sunset Beach bar and enjoy some guavaberry coladas while they watch!

We're debating between a day pass at either British Colonial Hilton or Sheraton (in Nassau).

We have done the Sheraton on several occasions - love it! We will also be doing it again in January on the Miracle

Atlantis is the biggest draw in Nassau, but its $$$, staw market, walking tour?

We took a excursion thru the ship that went up the tram in St. thomas and went to Mountain Top. I heard it burned down, so not sure about rebuilding of mountain top, mostly its just a view with shopping.

then we ate a local lunch downtown, then we hopped a cab and went to coki beach, $10 to snorkel including dog biscuits. someone else mentioned their favorite beach here. I would avoid megans beach too crowded with tourists. We had such a ball on this island.

St. Marteen has two sides, french and dutch and has orient beach, half of which is sort of topless/nude.

here is a view of the two ports from going up on the tram. I think its about $20 pp, not cheap, but fun and have a bushwacker at the top and relax. The tram goes up the mountain all the way from down where you see the carnival smoke stack.

Picture074.jpg

Mountain Top is open - we were there at the end of January and it had just opened; it is much bigger and nicer than it ever was - great views, good shopping and some wonderful drinks :)

We used Godfrey the past few times we were there and he offers a great day of sight seeing and stops at the beach - Sapphire Beach gets my vote, less crowded than Meghans Bay

The itinerary was changed due to a problem with the ship's propulsion system.

What does that mean exactly, the propulsion system should not affect where the ship goes. Only if it goes at all. Is that all they said?

I vote for Trunk Bay from St Thomas, via St John. Even if you don't want to

snorkel the water is incredible.

St Martin. We have been there 3 times now and love it more and more. We did a Catamaran tour via the ship. I believe it was called the "golden eagle" tour via the ship. But make sure you have LOTS of sunscreen down there.

You will have lots of fun at these ports.

Just saw that my upcoming cruise, we leave THIS Sat July 9th, was changed from Western Carrib to Eastern Carrib. I had done so much research of ports and excursions and now I am lost. And I had to find it out on these board first!

What are some suggestions for St Thomas and St Martin and Nassau?

Two kids ages 13 & 15. Had planned an AI beach resort in Costa Maya and a island tour with Victor Boden in Roatan.......

UGH........

From St Thomas, head straight to the cabs and take a cab to the ferry and head to St John and head to Trunk Key for an amazing day at the nicest beach I have seen anywhere in the Caribbean.

St Martin's Orient Beach is a very cheap taxi ride away.

I hear good things about Blue Lagoon in Nassau.

We have this itinerary on the Allure in a couple of years and those are my plans. I am one of the many who have a strong preference for the eastern Caribbean and that would include Tortola/Virgin Gorda as well.

Archived