Travel agent

wailea4me

I need help. I read over and over again how important it is to have a good travel agent to book our Alaskan cruise. I don't think we're allowed to name names on these boards, but how do I go about finding a good TA. If you call the cruise discounters, you're at the mercy of whoever answers the phone and they may not have even been to Alaska. I would appreciate any advice.

I need help. I read over and over again how important it is to have a good travel agent to book our Alaskan cruise. I don't think we're allowed to name names on these boards, but how do I go about finding a good TA. If you call the cruise discounters, you're at the mercy of whoever answers the phone and they may not have even been to Alaska. I would appreciate any advice.

If you need a lot of handholding, then a cruise discounter is probably not for you. I used a local auto club for my first cruise. It helped me get my footing and just gave me a good comfort level. At the time I got a good price...only $100 more than the best online discounter deal I could find. So, for me, for that first cruise, it was worth the money.

My second cruise I went with a warehouse club, but they don't give you a lot of handholding. You really need to know what you want and they just book it for you.

This time I went with an online discounter who you can call or email. So far they have worked out well. I went the route of using a website where you register, say the cruise you want, and then different companies compete for your business by sending you offers. Once I got an offer I liked, I did a BBB search and searched online for the name of the agency with the word "complaints" and "reviews." Once I was comfortable I went ahead and booked. They have been very good so far. I spent several lengthy sessions with them on the phone. ONce you find someone you like, you can get their extension and stay in touch with them.

No matter whom you go with, make sure that the agency does not process your payment through their agency, but direct through the cruiseline. Make sure you immediately get a cruisline booking number and then check with your CC company to make sure it was processed.

As far as advice on Alaska, I think you will do better just asking your questions here than trusting any TA. Even when I used a local TA for my first cruise, I did all my research on my own and then just had her book the cruise for me.

Good luck. I hope you find someone you are comfortable with and can help you out.

Archived