Cig. Smoking problems QM2?

Psychedout

I wonder how many of us that do smoke, do so in their own bedrooms at home? Not many at all I doubt. If you don't, then why is it necessary to smoke in a stateroom?

There is a rather large flaw in the argument, in fact, it's so big, you could drive a bus though it;

On a ship, if you are are not in your stateroom, then, by default, you must be in a public area. But, in your house, if you are not in your bedroom, you are still in your house, i.e. not a public area.

So, when on a ship ( or in a hotel ), your room becomes your entire house. And do you smoke in other areas of your house ? Yes, you do. But as your stateroom has become your entire house, and there are no other areas, then smoking in your stateroom is just the same as smoking in your house.

Does anyone really use their balcony enough on a transatlantic to either smoke or smell it:rolleyes: You must be more hardy than I! The wind was whipping around soooo much someone could have been smoking a huge Havana and I wouldn't have noticed.

Transatlantic westbound in May I definitely used my balcony. I'd order a pot of coffee, grab a book and enjoy! It was fantastic!

We may have had better weather than usual, not sure. I tried uploading photos but can't seem to make that work. Anyway, proof is available on the link below, click through to the photo album!

TransatlanticCrossingOnQueenMary2May2011#5608437158149733762

As for smoking, I was concerned that I would smell it in my room but I did not. I did, however, smell if from other staterooms as I'd walk the hall.

There is a rather large flaw in the argument, in fact, it's so big, you could drive a bus though it;

On a ship, if you are are not in your stateroom, then, by default, you must be in a public area. But, in your house, if you are not in your bedroom, you are still in your house, i.e. not a public area.

So, when on a ship ( or in a hotel ), your room becomes your entire house. And do you smoke in other areas of your house ? Yes, you do. But as your stateroom has become your entire house, and there are no other areas, then smoking in your stateroom is just the same as smoking in your house.

Absolutely agree entirely. Glad you responded so I didn't have to. You are exactly right.

I disagree , your cabin is not your home. You are on a short term rental of

the property . The owner has the right to impose smoking rules to keep the property clean , sanitary and fresh for the future guests and ajacent cabin renters.:rolleyes:

Well my DW and I never thought we would get so many replies, thanks to all of you I just wish i could convience our cruises buddies that they will not have a problem with second hand smoke. :(

Thanks again,

Hugh:)

Well my DW and I never thought we would get so many replies, thanks to all of you I just wish i could convience our cruises buddies that they will not have a problem with second hand smoke. :(

When you think of the number of threads there have been on this subject over the years, there have actually been very few posts moaning about smoke on any of the Cunard ships, even before they tightened up the rules.

Mary

When you think of the number of threads there have been on this subject over the years, there have actually been very few posts moaning about smoke on any of the Cunard ships, even before they tightened up the rules.

Mary

That was true, even in the days of the QE2. Where there really were some smelly areas due to smoke. (The Golden Lion was especially bad).

WD

[quote name=

I also am not a smoker' date=' and never have been, I'm only pointing out why I feel your cabin becomes your house, and hence why people smoke in their cabin.[/quote]

Until it is banned from cabins, which I believe is early 2012, the right to smoke in your cabin/living space/suite/bedroom/quarters, or what have you, remains, in place. Any voyages I take on a Cunard ship until then I will smoke in my space. I will continue to put the bath mat in the door saddle, but will not refrain from a privilege that is mine until then.

After the ban, there will be no more smoking threads. Gee, won't it get boring around here!

Jeanne

Mary

Thanks Mary;)

You will have a wonderful, Julie can you past a photo or two.and fireworks are far better quality than quantity. Imagine the only smoke was from fireworks in the distance:).

My B2B is coming round in just 98 , but I have QE for 2 weeks before that, no fireworks though that I know off, but the company of many good friends

Have a great trip :) I can see you really like sailing with Cunard

Jeanne - not just boring I think a lot more people will just disappear :( If you're a smoker then you derive pleasure from smoking; if you're denied that pleasure it will be a great disincentive to go on a Cunard Cruise :( Have you noticed that the best conversations to be had at work are outside with the smokers? If we loose all the interesting people I won't want to cruise again.

(Oh - and I'm a non-smoker. I have never smoked but I travel with smokers. If they won't go then I can't go either :( )

I do agree with you, but most cruise lines are going this way,if not right now then they will do soon, it will be sad to see some people not going on a cruise, but if the world is going non smoking then where can you go apart from staying home

I've never ever smelled smoke on the QM2, so much so that until I saw this thread, I assumed that smoking was banned on the ship as it is in other public places. I am amazed that smoking is allowed in the staterooms, I thought this definitely would be banned.

No reason why there shouldn't be designated areas, lounges etc but I just didn't think there were!

Archived