How Far into Downtown Juneau?

hershey4

I was looking at a map of Juneau at traveljuneau.com and it looks like its close enough to walk into downtown from where the cruise ships dock. Assuming your in good enough shape to walk, is it a reasonable distance? At the very least, the library looks close, so at least my kids could get onto their laptops for free that day!

The library is close enough to the port (for some of the ships) that you could about throw a stone at it...but don't.

Easy walking until you get to the point where the hills get serious and then it is a good work out.

I've walked all over the place and I'm no spring chicken.

Great news for my teens! Another question...can you do a walking tour on your own? Are there any maps with information, or would it be pointless without a guide? It's just so expensive to pay for 4 people on every single tour. I'm planning on taking the $16 r/t bus to Mendenhall Glacier, and probably Mt. Roberts Tramway, but since Juneau is the longest day of all our stops, we have to do something else with all that time.

all of the ports have a visitors center where you can pick up maps and information for your own walking tours. as long as you can see the ships you wont get lost. dont forget juneau has the capital building. and there are museums that show the history of the state. i dont know if they are free or not. there are also interesting statues along the dock too look at.

It's a shame to waste your longest day in a port not doing more than wandering around downtown. Trust me, there's not much to it. Personally, I find the Tram price outrageous for what you get. For four of you, you'll be over $100, and if it's low clouds, really not worth it. For @$75, you can rent a car from Rent a Wreck, go to the glacier, then to any of the number of trails or walks on the beach--get out and see this great land. Not sticking your head in tee shirt shops or in a laptop.

And if they want to check their laptops, stop at Southeast Waffle Company in Auke Bay for free wi-fi, or the library branch in the Mendenhall Mall. They can see with horror what passes for a mall in small town Alaska and make them appreciate their own hometown options!

We rented a car from Rent a Wreck this year and had just a great time! One thing, though, their office is a lot further than it seems on the map! It was not easy walking and one long stretch there was no sidewalk and you had to step inside the street bumper and walk through tall weeds. It was doable, though as we are in our late 60's. We did Mendenhall, spent as long as we wanted walking trails then went to the Shrine of St. Therese, then did a beach walk, went to Skater's Cabin and did some geocaching also! Wonderful day!!!

Would you have to reserve the car in advance, or can you just get it when you arrive in port?

We're doing a very expensive outing in Ketchikan, so I'm trying to find things to do that cost less in our other ports.

Mendenhall was awesome. we only spent an hour there, because of our tour, but I wish we'd had longer. We took the trail to Nugget falls, only stayed there about 10 minutes then went back to the visitor center where we only had enough time to visit the rest rooms and refill water bottles. Renting a car and driving there would be a much better use of time.

I also agree on the Mt. Roberts tram. It ran right near our dock and didn't look like all that much, certainly not worth $100 when you could use that money to rent a car for the entire day.

Mendenhall was awesome. we only spent an hour there, because of our tour, but I wish we'd had longer. We took the trail to Nugget falls, only stayed there about 10 minutes then went back to the visitor center where we only had enough time to visit the rest rooms and refill water bottles. Renting a car and driving there would be a much better use of time.

I also agree on the Mt. Roberts tram. It ran right near our dock and didn't look like all that much, certainly not worth $100 when you could use that money to rent a car for the entire day.

So they charge full price for kids on the Tram?

Would you have to reserve the car in advance, or can you just get it when you arrive in port?

We're doing a very expensive outing in Ketchikan, so I'm trying to find things to do that cost less in our other ports.

We did reserve our car in advance with Rent a Wreck. They did not seem to have that many on the lot close to the port. It was easy to do. The cost was $58. This was in the first of June. Call them to see.

National car rental also has a location at the dock in Juneau. I just reserved a car from them with no deposit (so no loss if we don't pick it up) for our stop in two weeks. Cost was just under $60 for the day because we had the entetainment book coupon. Would probably be about $10 more without the coupon.

Trust me, I don't usually do one of those "Here's my suggestion for an excursion ignoring request/budget" posts, but it didn't sound like you have any concrete plans and Juneau is the best port of the cheap option of a car rental.

The view from the Tram is pretty cool, but $100 worth of cool? And the best thing to do up there, IMO, is hike, but a car gets you to many trails. You can drive through downtown up to Gold Creek, see the mining ruins/museum, and hike there before heading out to the glacier.

If it's pouring, a car offers shelter and a place to carry all your layers. And the weather is often much better Out the Road.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have good weather, hike up Mt Roberts. Takes about 2 hours from the cruise dock. Its quite a strenuous hike in places, and if you have sticks take them, although I'm 54 and borderline obese, but managed it no problem.

The tram down is only $10pp. if you spend $10pp or more, then the trip down is free.

I had the best fish and chips I've ever had in my life at the restaurant at the top.

Archived