What does the butler do ?

On Celebrity he unpacked for me (I wanted this as I had booked a Sky Suite that was larger than the others but with less closet space) and got a clothes rack for us. He would come around at about 4 p.m. with a trolley of different canapes for us to choose from. Very nice. On Crystal he made sure our bar was stocked and switched out wine for us when he noticed that I was only drinking the white wine. He always made sure there was ice when we got back from an excursion (it was The Med and port intensive) and he ascertained which munchies we liked best and made sure that they were waiting for us. The chicken wing pops were always nice and hot and there were little hotdogs, etc. DH mentioned he loved the cookies and there was always warm cookies in the evening when we returned to our cabin. He made reservations for us and just generally went out of the way to be sure we were pampered.

On Celebrity he unpacked for me (I wanted this as I had booked a Sky Suite that was larger than the others but with less closet space) and got a clothes rack for us. He would come around at about 4 p.m. with a trolley of different canapes for us to choose from. Very nice. On Crystal he made sure our bar was stocked and switched out wine for us when he noticed that I was only drinking the white wine. He always made sure there was ice when we got back from an excursion (it was The Med and port intensive) and he ascertained which munchies we liked best and made sure that they were waiting for us. The chicken wing pops were always nice and hot and there were little hotdogs, etc. DH mentioned he loved the cookies and there was always warm cookies in the evening when we returned to our cabin. He made reservations for us and just generally went out of the way to be sure we were pampered.

Thanks, Linda VH. You should find that your Navigator butler will doo those things, though there is a menu of canapes to choose from rather than a trolley. You are the first person I have heard say that they got their butler to unpack, though that service is advertised. Most ladies (and gents) won't let him near their smalls, at least until they know him better. :)

our butler's name was rashid and he is easy to find until his contract finishes. we were in 8103 horizon suite and he was looking after the suites across the aft of level 8

I hope everyone has as good a time inboard as we did this last sailing. regards amanda

amandamcmullan. I hope he is still there for our Nov 20 sailing, Rome to Fort Lauderdale. We, too are in 8103. Were you pleased with that suite? What furniture is on the balcony? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

amandamcmullan. I hope he is still there for our Nov 20 sailing, Rome to Fort Lauderdale. We, too are in 8103. Were you pleased with that suite? What furniture is on the balcony? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

very happy to answer this as I was wondering about it before we sailed and was not able to find out from the official website. there is a two seated rattan sofa and three rattan chairs with comfortable cushions. the table was a full dining height so that was great for coffee in the morning and we also had dinner on the back deck one night and cheese/desert plates with our 8104 neighbors a couple of nights. we had stayed in a penthouse b suitor on the mariner the previous year so were able to compare layouts on staterooms that were not significantly different in price. the major difference is the size of the verandah on the horizon suite and the dining furniture as well as the endless view. we loved the sense of open travel on the back deck. we are booked Monaco to south America in november next year and have booked mid ship fearing too much movement. would be very grateful to hear of your experience and other horizon suite travelers in ocean crossing on the back deck . best regards amanda

very happy to answer this as I was wondering about it before we sailed and was not able to find out from the official website. there is a two seated rattan sofa and three rattan chairs with comfortable cushions. the table was a full dining height so that was great for coffee in the morning and we also had dinner on the back deck one night and cheese/desert plates with our 8104 neighbors a couple of nights. we had stayed in a penthouse b suitor on the mariner the previous year so were able to compare layouts on staterooms that were not significantly different in price. the major difference is the size of the verandah on the horizon suite and the dining furniture as well as the endless view. we loved the sense of open travel on the back deck. we are booked Monaco to south America in november next year and have booked mid ship fearing too much movement. would be very grateful to hear of your experience and other horizon suite travelers in ocean crossing on the back deck . best regards amanda

Thanks for that information, amanda. I have been in a PH on Mariner and have been impressed with the spacious layout. Also I have been in a Horizon Suitee on Voyager and loved the rear facing outlook, Mariner Horizon combines the best of both.

• 4 weeks later...

On our Mariner 8/12 - 8/24 cruise, for our Penthouse B suite, Brian was our butler, and he did a fantastic job, starting with unpacking for the three of us -- wife, 11-year-old son, and me, taking orders for room service personally (I've a hearing handicap and using the cabin phone for that purpose, even with a hearing aid, was difficult), accommodating our snack (fresh fruit) and drink preferences (Pellegrino water, diet cokes, etc) and occasionally surprising us with additional goodies, seeing that our laundry was done promptly, and so on.

He was always pleasant and solicitous of our needs. For us, Brian just made our cruise even more wonderful.

Amanda...we did a Singapore to Sydney leg a couple of years ago in Mariner 8104. Lots of sea days. Great suite, and no problem with too much movement, etc. Loved the view--just can't beat it. Agree with Op T--it combines the best of the Penthouse suites with the Horizon view. My guess is that you'll love it!

Amanda...we did a Singapore to Sydney leg a couple of years ago in Mariner 8104. Lots of sea days. Great suite, and no problem with too much movement, etc. Loved the view--just can't beat it. Agree with Op T--it combines the best of the Penthouse suites with the Horizon view. My guess is that you'll love it!

We had suite 8104 on the Mariner for our Alaska cruise in 2009. It was wonderful, especially the view!! We had no issues with movement either (and as you might guess from my screen name, I'm prone to seasickness!).

I cannot imagine a Regent cruise without butler! They always have exactly what we like from the previous cruises. I do not even have to request my liquor types. Last cruise my butler had cases of Coke Zero onboard just for me! A pitcher of iced tea is always available in our suite upon arrival. It is a total treat for a long cruise and being pampered. If you ship your luggage ahead it will be hanging and unpacked in your suite! Heaven! If butler sees me without a scotch anywhere on the ship, it just appears! Can't wait for the crossing in November!

We've used butlers on land vacations before, but we haven't ever used one on a cruise and don't ever expect to. Our reasoning?

1. We don't care to have someone pack/unpack for me

2. We can book shore excursions from home and make dinner reservations

3. We enjoy being out among people and don't want a coctail party in our suite

4. We can't imagine asking a butler to come into our suite to make us a drink.

5. Room service happily brought some meals to us

6. Our room stewardesses have always kept our suite tidy. On our last cruise, she brought so many "extra" beverages, they wouldn't fit inside the refrigerator!

7. Someone kept towels on the poolside chaises for everyone already

8. We can disembark easily by ourselves

I can think of no reason that I would use one and heard some some rather negative comments from people who used them on our cruise last month.

Well, we like the butlers on both Regent and Crystal since we do like to entertain in our suite. We have never been without one on a cruise. Our Indian butler prepared a Great Indian dinner for us and our guests on the Voyager. If you don't need them...so be it.

Our butlers on Regent were the highlight of our cruise. I would say equal to Crystal. They aim to please.

Like SuiteTravels We have had Butlers on both Crystal and Regent...We usually have found Regents butlers to be at least equal to Crystal and in a case or two better....They can take care of landside reservations with little effort. They use the Concierge on board for that kind of thing and do not have to be concerned whether or not the Concierge is at his/her desk...We never utilize room service so that is not an issue for us but We often will host a cocktail party and our butler has always done an outstanding job....:)

Archived