Crown Princess North Cape & Norwegian Fjords June 2011 Highs, Lows & Observations

wickesy

We are just back from the North Cape and Norwegian fjords and I will be doing a detailed day by day trip report over the next week or so but I thought I would start off with some highs, lows and observations.

Highs

The scenery - absolutely fantastic throughout, especially in the port of Flam which was one of the must-dos for this trip.

Life onboard generally - very relaxing and a life I could easily get used to.

Lows

Missing out on the views from the top of Mount Dalsnibba and Mount Floien - Both of these were down to the weather and nothing could have been done about it. The weather also 'ruined' our boat trip along the Lysefjord in Stavanger because it was raining so we could not sit outside.

Queuing up in the ticket office for the Flam railway 30 minutes before it opened and watching the first 2 departures of the day sell out before we got to the front of the line.

Observations

The show times in Princess Theater didn't work for us - we were on 2nd sitting traditional dining, which was when the 8:15 show was on and we really didn't want to watch the 10:15 show as that was too late for us. We would prefer the shows to be before dinner rather than after.

If you want somewhere to sit quietly during the day then Skywalkers on deck 18 is practically the only place guaranteed not to have some form of event going on during the day.

I had read a lot before we went about the ship being crowded - that wasn't my experience. What I saw were a lot of passengers who had no awareness of, or care for, people that might be behind them trying to walk through the public areas, on and off of elevators etc. I know that not everybody will walk as fast as I do but please move to one side and ensure that people can get past you if they want to.

If anybody has any particular questions about the itinerary or the ship please let me know and I will do my best to answer them for you.

I look forward to your review as we are considering doing this trip last year. I'd welcome information on your room selection, etc as we have never cruised on Princess and I believe a number of others will sign up to come along.

We're back too and I will be putting a review up tomorrow too......

Highs.....

Superb staff and breathtaking views

Lows.....

Rudeness of a very small minority of passengers to staff and other passengers that were observed....more to follow in review

But, have to say....1st cruise on Princess and wont be the last!!

Even if My wife and I do suck at the trivia quizzes (4 out of 20 on the last one......gulp!!!!)

I look forward to your review as we are considering doing this trip last year. I'd welcome information on your room selection, etc as we have never cruised on Princess and I believe a number of others will sign up to come along.

We chose a cabin on Caribe deck (deck 10) as I had read that they have a wider balcony than the other decks. Having looked down the side of the ship I've seen for myself that they definitely are. We were at the forward end of the ship (C255) but we were lucky with the seas and felt no movement at all. There was some movement at the aft end (particularly when we were at dinner right at the back of Botticelli dining room) but I think that was more from the propellers than the waves.

Thanks for your initial thoughts. I'm surprised that the Adagio Lounge was used so much for activities. That's usually my "go to" place for a comfortable, quiet place to read.

Do you know we were on the Crown for 12 days and never even saw the Adagio bar, I just had to look on the deck plan to see where it was. :D For some reason we never went inside at the aft end of deck 16 and didn't eat at Sabatinis but looking at the Patters you are right - other than trivia at 9 a.m. on sea days the Adagio bar was quiet until 7:15 p.m.

We have also just returned from this cruise and will be writing a review. We didn't get to the Adagio bar either!

Have to agree that there were a few inconsiderate people on the ship, though the vast majority of our fellow passengers were very nice. As usual, it's just the small minority that are so self fixated that they really seem to have no awareness of the other people around them. In my case I was nearly mown down by a gentleman with a walking frame who had his head down and was rushing towards the theatre. Not sure why he needed any mobility assistance the speed he was going!

I enjoyed reading your short review. We were at Mount Dalsmibba & Mt Floien, and took the boat in Stavanger last year and had great weather, too bad the weather was not with you.

Will you post your full review on this thread or a separate thread?

We visited Adagio several times.....

Fairly quiet all the time and a stunning piano player at about 7-9 pm each night......

When on the Crown, that's where we go for a pre-dinner drink as well. The piano player rotated with a guitarist every other night on our T/A last September. Love this lounge! :)

Lows

Missing out on the views from the top of Mount Dalsnibba and Mount Floien - Both of these were down to the weather and nothing could have been done about it. The weather also 'ruined' our boat trip along the Lysefjord in Stavanger because it was raining so we could not sit outside.

Our one trip up Mount Dalsnibba around the beginning of July found us in a snow storm with no visibility. Quite an experience for someone from Texas.

Will you post your full review on this thread or a separate thread?

It will be on a separate, LONG, thread as it's a full account of what we did day by day. I wrote it for another forum but thought people here might get some hints and tips from it as well.

We were also on this cruise. We had an "upgrade" to Riviera 510, after the first night we had to take a sleeping pill & put in earplugs. I swear they were moving furniture, wheeling heavy things & the stilleto heels came by several times an hour. Very disappointed with the weather--gee where are we--on the Flaam train, Mt Dalsnibba or at the North Cape--it looked a lot alike with the fog. On the train down, I even took some photos of the TV screen pictures since we couldn't see a thing. After the first tunnel we started going "ooooh, aaaa", at least it helped keep spirits up. ;0 We got home late last night & I think it will take afew days to get caught up w/laundry, sleep etc--then the house cleaning, garden etc---I need a vacation to rest up! Ron Goodman was soooo much better then the CD we had on the Sapphire Mex. Riv. in June. The whole crew seemed much happier and friendlier.

Guess you were right across the road from me in R505.

Heard the moving of things the first night but didnt get any after that.

Swear if I find that woman (?) with the stiletto heels I'm gonna insert them somewhere......he he...

Clip clop...clip clop

Archived