get to Ambergris Caye from Belize City/TV

theampres

what are options and how far is it, how long does it take to get from TV/assume this is Tourist Village, where ship tenders leave off passengers, to Ambergris Caye?

would prefer to go via fast boat vs. small plane but need more info. can anyone tell me, please, how to arrange this? any fast boat cos. to book with in advance?

thank you.

We did it by plane with ecotoursbelize.com

http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/snorkeling.html#snorkeling

Scan down this link to the bottom of the page.

Go to Youtube and search mdrobtx and then look for my Ambergris Caye Excursion videos.

But we'll be doing it on our own the next time in Belize City.

Basically you walk outside the Tourist Village and catch a cab to the municipal airport. It's like a 5 to 10 minute cab ride. Make reservations online with either Tropic air or Maya air and it's a 15 minute flight. You can walk the whole town but you can rent a bike or a golf cart.

We enjoyed our excursion so much we went back and stayed a week on AC.

I've heard the boat ride over can be very rough at times. Especially if your susceptible to sea sickness. And I think it takes an hour and a half or so by boat.

I would do the plane, costs more but you have more time there. Doc is right, it's an hour 15 to an hour half by water. So at least 3 hours of you day are just getting there and back. Plus, you have to catch either the noon or 1 PM (Belize time, both) water taxi back just to be able to catch your ship's last tender. That gives you only 2-3 hours on Ambergris Caye, depending on which ferry you catch over.

I would do the plane, costs more but you have more time there. Doc is right, it's an hour 15 to an hour half by water. So at least 3 hours of you day are just getting there and back. Plus, you have to catch either the noon or 1 PM (Belize time, both) water taxi back just to be able to catch your ship's last tender. That gives you only 2-3 hours on Ambergris Caye, depending on which ferry you catch over.

We did it by boat the first time and it was quite a ride and we actually got quite sprayed with water during the ride..I would recommend the plane, as there is still a British Military base there it seems planes are well maintained and serviced...

The cruise ships come in at the Tourism Village, and there is a water taxi that leaves right from there, it is next door to the Tourism Village. Yes, the ride to Ambergris is around an hour and a half, but you do have a few options.

Caye Caulker is only 45 minutes by water taxi and the cost, round trip I think is US$ 15. Im pretty sure the round trip flight is over US$ 100 per person. Caye Caulker is smaller, but if you are only going there for the afternoon, then small is a good thing. You will get to stroll the main street, do some shopping, have lunch and go to the Split beach bar for swim and a beer. Caye Caulker = US$ 15 + shopping + lunch

Another alternative to Ambergris is Goff's caye. while you won't find any shopping on Goff's, you will spend your afternoon out on the Belize Cayes, on a beautiful beach, have a great bbq lunch and swim and snorkel. An excursion to Goff's is around US$ 40 each + lunch. If you go to Goff's you can do your shopping when you get back to Belize City as there are lots of places to shop in the tourism village.

ruled out Ambergris, due to limited time. but special thanks to Dianne and Kevin -thanks for link to shoretrips...will keep in mind for future trip.

also, good info comparing Caye Caulker and Goff's -thank you!

anyone been to Bannister Island? is that one of those "private" islands "created" by a cruiseline? which, in effect, could be anywhere? is same true for goff's caye? meaning, more "authentic" Belize to be found elsewhere? seems caye caulker might provide that...any further comment appreciated?

would definitely appreciate hearing about what there is on Bannister Island, e.g., is there good snorkeling from beach?

thanks!

ruled out Ambergris, due to limited time. but special thanks to Dianne and Kevin -thanks for link to shoretrips...will keep in mind for future trip.

also, good info comparing Caye Caulker and Goff's -thank you!

anyone been to Bannister Island? is that one of those "private" islands "created" by a cruiseline? which, in effect, could be anywhere? is same true for goff's caye? meaning, more "authentic" Belize to be found elsewhere? seems caye caulker might provide that...any further comment appreciated?

would definitely appreciate hearing about what there is on Bannister Island, e.g., is there good snorkeling from beach?

thanks!

We went to Bannister Island a few years back. It's since been sold, but I don't know if it's any different. I'ts not a cruiseline built island - I'd say it's authentic, but there's not much there. We loved the tiki bar, though! Large bar where we sat & had lobster and "peas" & rice for lunch. There's a beach (a rarity around Belize) lots of chairs & loungers. Snorkeling would probably not be too great right off the beach, but we did see a starfish right by a dock there. There was also a small gift shop and nice restrooms.

We're specifically interested in Ambergris Cay this time since we have friends who have been there, and we want to experience it too! Jerry Jeff Walker has his day camp for adults there every year and since we can't make it to that, we at least want to visit some of the "beach" bars. Ramone's was mentioned in one of Jimmy Buffett's novels and it's in his "Top Ten Places for a Waterside Drink."

We went to Bannister Island a few years back. It's since been sold, but I don't know if it's any different. I'ts not a cruiseline built island - I'd say it's authentic, but there's not much there. We loved the tiki bar, though! Large bar where we sat & had lobster and "peas" & rice for lunch. There's a beach (a rarity around Belize) lots of chairs & loungers. Snorkeling would probably not be too great right off the beach, but we did see a starfish right by a dock there. There was also a small gift shop and nice restrooms.

We're specifically interested in Ambergris Cay this time since we have friends who have been there, and we want to experience it too! Jerry Jeff Walker has his day camp for adults there every year and since we can't make it to that, we at least want to visit some of the "beach" bars. Ramone's was mentioned in one of Jimmy Buffett's novels and it's in his "Top Ten Places for a Waterside Drink."

your feedback on bannister very helpful! I knew I had read that "somewhere" on one of these cayes, lobster on menu - so glad that you mentioned that, as I couldn't seem to find the place again! - excursion we're considering is to bannister w/off-shore snorkeling along the reef before being dropped off at bannister. so. overall, may be best excursion this time/first time for us in belize. will save ambergris for a trip there vs. trying to get there when only a port-of-call cruiseship stop. have heard so many good things about ambergris...and, when possible, will use a cruiseship w/stop just to get the feel for a place to see if we'd like to return for longer stay. have done that successfully w/many islands, caribbean and other - often works well for that purpose, but not so much, this cruise.

is your december trip a cruise? or longer stay? either way, bon voyage et merci! really appreciate your input.

We're actually going to be there next June, cruising on the Carnival Liberty. We'll be in Belize for 9 hours, so since it's only a 6.5 hr. tour we think we'll be safe on time! It's only a 15 minute flight from Belize City to Ambergris, & we plan to rent a golf cart when we get there to explore the island. I think we'll be able to see about everything in 6 hours! :)

[ATTACH]200487[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]200488[/ATTACH]

This is what it looks like from the plane when you're approaching Ambergris......interesting ride

I work for one of the airlines in Belize...I take that ride a few times a week....:D

[ATTACH]200487[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]200488[/ATTACH]

This is what it looks like from the plane when you're approaching Ambergris......interesting ride

What an awesome view! Can't wait!!!

Wade - Lucky you - any recommendations on where we should stop for food & drink in San Pedro? (Ramone's is on the list already!)

Here's the approach to Belize City municipal airport after our day on AC.

Here's our takeoff from AC after a week of fun Sept '10. Unfortunately an approaching tropical storm chased us off a day early.:(

And a link to my videos of our excursion on AC with ecotoursbelize.com. They will all automatically play back to back or you can select individual videos to view.

What an awesome view! Can't wait!!!

Wade - Lucky you - any recommendations on where we should stop for food & drink in San Pedro? (Ramone's is on the list already!)

The local dish is rice n beans and stew chicken...Not to exotic but yummy. Lots of local spots.

From the S P air strip you can walk into town. Only three streets in "town", front middle and back.

If you start a Ramons just keep your right foot in the water and you will come to B C s Bar..not open till 12 noon. Next to that is the Blue water Grill...good food right on beach....Keep walking the beach and check out Fidos (feed ohs). Then go into town for shopping on front street and work your way back to the air strip....

The local dish is rice n beans and stew chicken...Not to exotic but yummy. Lots of local spots.

From the S P air strip you can walk into town. Only three streets in "town", front middle and back.

If you start a Ramons just keep your right foot in the water and you will come to B C s Bar..not open till 12 noon. Next to that is the Blue water Grill...good food right on beach....Keep walking the beach and check out Fidos (feed ohs). Then go into town for shopping on front street and work your way back to the air strip....

Thank you, Wade! So you don't think we'd need to rent a golf cart to see the island? (I was actually thinking that might be fun!) :D

Yes, we found "My Secret Deli" on our first visit and have gone back there for the chicken, rice and beans several times now.

It's on Caribena St between Middle and Back St's.

Michael..........

Thank you, Wade! So you don't think we'd need to rent a golf cart to see the island? (I was actually thinking that might be fun!) :D

You can get a cart Right They run about $50 a day. The town is walk-able. If you want to explore the south or north ends of the island you need a cart.

Mostly the high end resorts are out there.. Lots of shops and local flair in town.

You can get a cart Right They run about $50 a day. The town is walk-able. If you want to explore the south or north ends of the island you need a cart.

Mostly the high end resorts are out there.. Lots of shops and local flair in town.

Well, it sounds like we wouldn't need one then - we want the local flair! ... OR maybe we could rent one for an hr. or two? Do they do that?

Well, it sounds like we wouldn't need one then - we want the local flair! ... OR maybe we could rent one for an hr. or two? Do they do that?

Yes they rent by the hour. Same rules as a car...you will need a licence to drive.

And no drinking

We're taking the Carnival Dream in December, and we'd like to shoot over to Ambergris Caye. Definitely want to fly rather than take the boat. We've taken enough cruises now that we usually like to "do our own thing." We were looking at TropicAir for a flight over, but we like the idea of using a tour company, since it seems more likely that they'll be able to work around things like changes in ship's schedule, port cancellation, etc., vice buying airline tickets, which we assume would be non-refundable. Not so much interested in doing a snorkeling trip though, we've already snorkeled the whole Caribbean and would really just like a chill day exploring some beach front bars and shops, and drinking a little too much beer and rum, while leaving the driving (and flying) to someone else. Anyone have any recommendations besides Ecotoursbelize?

We're taking the Carnival Dream in December, and we'd like to shoot over to Ambergris Caye. Definitely want to fly rather than take the boat. We've taken enough cruises now that we usually like to "do our own thing." We were looking at TropicAir for a flight over, but we like the idea of using a tour company, since it seems more likely that they'll be able to work around things like changes in ship's schedule, port cancellation, etc., vice buying airline tickets, which we assume would be non-refundable. Not so much interested in doing a snorkeling trip though, we've already snorkeled the whole Caribbean and would really just like a chill day exploring some beach front bars and shops, and drinking a little too much beer and rum, while leaving the driving (and flying) to someone else. Anyone have any recommendations besides Ecotoursbelize?

You might want to try this company- http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/Ambergris-Caye-On-your-Own-p/cabzecoamown.htm

We have flown to Ambergris twice on a snorkeling excursion. Worth the effort to get there and flying is the only way to go!! Great views from the air.

Archived