Waikiki parking

jlines

Does anyone know of a good, reasonable place to park in Waikiki? The place we are staying at charges $15 per day for valet (which means tips on top of the outrageous price!!!). We are staying in the Fort DeRussey/Royal Hawaiian shopping center area.

Hmmm... staying at the Royal, complaining about valet parking. Does not compute.

Anyway, Sheraton and Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center (next door) both have lots. Also Outrigger (next door the other way). All are undoubtedly expensive.

I am almost positive that if you're staying at the Royal Hawaiian, you can self-park in the Sheraton parking lot (since they're both Starwood properties). Only about a 100-200 feet away from the hotel. Not to say that it'll be cheap per se but it won't be as expensive, probably. Though, honestly, $15/day for valet parking is actually not that bad for Waikiki.

Spleen

Did I just luck out or was it just a dream. In December 2003 gas was $1.99 a gallon for gas. Parking at the Hawaian Prince was free if you were a customer. Parking at the Marina there were some metered parking and all the open parking spaces allowed free 24 hour parking? The park northwest of the Marina also had lots of free 24 hour parking. I found parking not a problem at that time of year (December). I did notice that on Saturday night the parking spots filled up fast about 5:00 PM in the evening. I hope this helps. Tim

Gas at this time on Oahu is $2.35 for regular or so.

Parking overnight at Ala Moana Beach Park (the park west of the marina) is technically not allowed. Not sure how lax the police are about checking on things but I believe that there are signs posted prohibiting overnight parking. The hours for the park are sunrise to sunset so I can't believe that they would allow parking there at night when the park is closed.

Spleen

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Oahu and would like to share what we found while there. There are meters on Saratoga that are free to park at from 6pm to 7am daily, free all day on Sundays and holidays. Its a 2 hour time limit during metered time so we would just feed it a few quarters if we came back before 6pm or left later than 7am. One night we couldn't find a meter open so we parked at the ANA shopping center at Beachwalk and Kalakaua for a $5 overnight rate having to be out by 7am. Being used to EST the early hours weren't a problem for us and we were mostly out of Waikiki anyhow but if we stayed in the area for the day we were fortunate enough to find free spots by the Natatorium. Its quite a walk to Waikiki proper but I love to walk on the beach and my body was glad for the exercise. We were also told that you could get a 3 day pass at the Hale Koa parking garage for use at the Ft. DeRussy parking lot but never needed to seek out this option.

Archived