Nikon lens suggestions for travel

Baxter

I haven't used Iphoto and don't know its features. Eliminating haze is not a simple contrast adjustment. It is an adjustment of contrast, brightness, and levels which in Photoshop becomes a simple adjustment of the curves.

Not sure why you are upgrading, one should upgrade because what you have is measurablly lacking and what you get will singificantly improve your picture taking.

The differences between a D90 and D7000 for anyone but the gearhead is small IMHO. Unless one is really pushing the envelop the one stop in low light and video are IMHO the only signficant things. The differences between the D3100, D5100 and D7000 also IMHO are pretty minor for anyone but the enthusiast or one with a huge table of older D lense.

If you are in the D60 the D3100 represent a signficant upgrade in multiple areas; sensor, video, focus. Next year there is likely no consumer change as it will be the high end upgrade. D4, D400 this fall and probably D4x and D800 late in 2012.

Baxter, I used to have a D80 with the 18-200. As a single lens solution, it was great for travel. About a year and a half ago, I upgraded to the D90, and replaced the lens with the 16-85 and 70-300 combo.

You're also right to plan longer term. Bodies may get upgraded quickly (I'm already thinking about the D7000) but you can hang onto lenses for a long time. quote]

What is the differance between the D90 and D7000? By next year I would be interested in replacing my D60 body, but I do not want anything larger. I am still waiting for the perfect solution.

Hmm, I'd not hold up too much hope. My guess is that Nikon will annouce two cameras D3s and D300s replacement, both are top priority; D4 and D400 first. The D700 is hurting compared to the 5dMKii and 7d in video, pixels if one is a spec nerd. If a D800 is annouced that would be a pretty big achievement to go 3 bodies, 3 sensors as I suspect and think no way will a D4 and D800 have the same sensor and the D400 to have the same sensor as the D7000 would also be somewhat of a dissapointment to some as this time the waterfall would be from low end D7000 to D400 unlike the last time where it went D300 to D90. D700 IMHO its still a great camera, had one before it died in a fall, sitill miss it a tad but than the D3s is true love :D

Every rumor I have seen is that the D700 replacement will be in the August announcement. Since that is my weapon of choice, I am very interested in that.

I actually downgraded from a D3, the D700 has the same feature set except for the dual CF slots. Really like this camera.

Late late year, I replaced my D50 with a D7000. (Saw no reason at that point to buy a D90, with the D7000s out.) It's a wonderful camera (and pretty amazing in low light).

I bought Nikon's 18-200mm lens as my walking around lens for trips, and it's been great too.

Archived