RCCL Alaska--What to know before you go?

My family is taking a cruise to Alaska on the Grandeur of the Seas next month (August). Kids, parents and grandparents. Does anyone have any hints or suggetions that we should know beffore we go? What to bring that we haven't thought of? Insider secrets for the ship itself? Any and all advice would be great. We already have shore excursions taken care of, so don't need help with that--but maybe some other hint for ports ? (Icy Strait, Ketchikan, Juneau, SKagway)

Just back from an Alaskan cruise last monthe (4th).

I am sure that you know to take rain gear. I think that it is important to make sure it is gortex and has a hood. Gortex is waterPROOF. I made this a point of telling our group but one person didn't bring raingear. They wore a plastic bag on their head until they could buy a raincoat:eek:

Make sure you have your camera ready, with plenty of memory, and know how to use it. If it has a mode where you can take rapid pictures, figure that one out. It is a great mode to use when filming wild life, ie whales.

I would say that waterproof footwear is an individual choice. Depends what you are planning to do. I did have some with me. I wore them when we went fishing. Came in handy on the rainy, fishing day. Walking around town, even with some drizzle, I did fine with my tennis shoes.

I have found that on each of our cruises, I have needed some kind of head gear and gloves when at Hubbard Glacier. We are usually up on deck and it is cooler and windy near the glacier. Of course that is me as I don't like wind blowing in my ears.

Have a great time. Alaska is a beautiful place. Enjoy all the ports. This time we did the zip lining in Icy Strait Point. It was a blast. We still are talking about it:)

Maria

The most helpful thing that I did before our Alaskan cruises was research, research, research on the Alaskan port of call board on Cruise Critic. It is the best and most informative board here. I found that booking private excursions was the way to go. Lots of knowledgeable folks over there!

Archived