Attention: 4774Papa

Hydrokitty

Just booked Imperial Waterways with Vantage. This is our 5th trip with Vantage so I have no problem with them obviously, but I have heard some negative reports on the Tolstoy....I see you went with them in May, 2012, could you tell me a little about your accommodations and the food on board?

Thanks. If you prefer direct contact, e-mail me at chydro564@yahoo.com.

:)

Just booked Imperial Waterways with Vantage. This is our 5th trip with Vantage so I have no problem with them obviously, but I have heard some negative reports on the Tolstoy....I see you went with them in May, 2012, could you tell me a little about your accommodations and the food on board?

Thanks. If you prefer direct contact, e-mail me at chydro564@yahoo.com.

:)

Hydrokitty, The only negative thing that I have read about the Tolstoy is that it doesn't offer laundry service. Based on what I have read, the Tolstoy is still superior to most of the Russian river boats. Clearly, the Tolstoy is not in the budget category.

I researched Vantage, AMA Waterways, GCT, Allrussia, Gate 1, and found GCT, AMA and Vantage to be my final three comparators. The pricing was about the same for all, with Vantage slightly more. I probably would have been happy with any of the three. I had friends that took the AMA Burgundy and Provence and loved it.

Here is why I picked Vantage. I saw good reviews of Vantage, as well as AMA and GCT, GCT does seem to have a problem refunding cancelled cruises in a timely manner, but that was not a biggie.

Vantage was the only firm that offered hotels in Moscow and St. Pete instead of staying on the riverboat there and having to commute in traffic to the city sites. Also, those hotels are downtown. The hotel in Moscow is less than a mile from Red Square. The one in St. Pete is similarly close to Nevsky Prospect.

Also, Vantage offered great pre and post Russian tours. We are taking the Kiev option (four days for $999 each) and the post option bus tour of 6 days through the three Baltic countries (I think the price was about $1500 each).

We could have saved a bit by going budget, but didn't want to do that. I am not the least bit worried about the Tolstoy. I am not sure what negative information you have read, but I have followed cc and tripadvisor and the lack of laundry service it about all the negative that I can find.

Thanks for the input, I feel much better now and, believe it or not, I'm glad for the heads up about the laundry! Your reasons for choosing Vantage are basically the same ones we had when we booked our first vantage trip: Castles on the Rhine (Budapest to Amsterdam). At first glance they do seem to cost more than the others but when you factor in that airfare is included (and being in NY, we're usually in the free zone) and most shore excursions are included, they're really very competitive. We've also done Egypt and Jordan; Holland and Belgium tulips in bloom; and last Feb. Costa Rica on the Clipper ship Star Flyer. We just came back from our first "big ship" cruise on Holland America's Statendam to Alaska and were very unimpressed....food and service can't hold a candle to Vantage! :D

Thanks for the input, I feel much better now and, believe it or not, I'm glad for the heads up about the laundry! Your reasons for choosing Vantage are basically the same ones we had when we booked our first vantage trip: Castles on the Rhine (Budapest to Amsterdam). At first glance they do seem to cost more than the others but when you factor in that airfare is included (and being in NY, we're usually in the free zone) and most shore excursions are included, they're really very competitive. We've also done Egypt and Jordan; Holland and Belgium tulips in bloom; and last Feb. Costa Rica on the Clipper ship Star Flyer. We just came back from our first "big ship" cruise on Holland America's Statendam to Alaska and were very unimpressed....food and service can't hold a candle to Vantage! :D

Our next trip not a big ship cruise will likely be China or India. Vantage has some nice choices there. However, there is a fascinating luxury train that looks great, but it is very expensive.

HydroKitty...we did the MS Tolstoy in 2009 from Moscow to St. Petersburg and although it was an older ship it was spotlessly clean. Not alot of storage was our only complaint. It had a desk that opened from the wall and was not very deep so you could not store very large items in it. Would have been better if it had been a cupboard instead. We really enjoyed our river cruise and hope you enjoy it to.

Thanks for the response.....while I really need honest input....good stuff is what i really want to hear!!:) I'm sure we're going to have a great time. I trust Vantage and haven't had a bad trip with them yet.

Archived