air sickness helicopter rides

yoyoandchar4

I don't know if this has been asked or not. We are traveling with 2 boys and sometimes they get air sick with a lot of jolts/jerks etc. How are the helicopter tours for Kauai? Is this a recommendation for 2kids who may get sick if weather/trip is "bumpy"?

We did both Hilo/volcano and Kuaui last October and we both came off the hilo heli ride quite quessy due to the sharp turns ups and downs, Kuaui was just the opposite calm, relaxing with smoothe slow turns as well as ups and downs.

Having said that kids are kids so it's tought to say how they will be.

I suggest a couple things one is that it wouldn't hurt to get them to take ginger tabs that you can get over the counter for sea sickness at Walmart or any vitamin/pharmacy store.

If you don't get any feedback from anyone who has done it with kids it may be worth a call to the heli company and get their input.

It's alot of money and they won't stop the tour due to sickness and thats why they have the "to go" bags on board.

Our ride was smooth as well, only sudden stuff might be how smooth the pilot takes off and / or lands. YMMV with regard to weather and turbulence, but my last couple helicopters have in general been smooth.

One other thing to remember visability is very good with most choppers so eyes and ears got plenty of room to synchronize themselves helping matters.

We do not suffer from air sickness, thankfully. We did a helo tour on Kauai last year that was truly amazing! It was my 1st time in a helo and the take-off did leave me with a bit of an odd feeling. The tail comes up, then the cabin, and then there was another dip of the cabin before soaring away.

It was just a bit of an odd feeling for a few moments and then we were off and away.

For children that are known to suffer air sickness you may want to look into those ginger pills or dramamine just to be on the safe side.

If your boys are prone to airsickness, then I would think that they will probably be prone to seasickness as well. I would suggest having them start taking Bonine a couple of days prior to your cruise and continue throughout. You can purchase over the counter at any drug store. One or two chewable tablets at night before bedtime should take care of it, and you will eliminate the chance of sickness and any plans being ruined because of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Be considerate of other passengers that pay a lot of money on the tours too. I had a lady get sick in the seat beside me on my airplane tour. One cannot know if they will get sick or not and I had no idea if I would get sick even though I have no motion sickness on ships or plane rides.....but if you know they are prone to it, why would you even consider it? It isn't fun to have to smell puke from someone beside you in a small confined space and you have nowhere to go to escape it. I hate to be so blunt but stating the obvious to me.

• 3 weeks later...

My mom and daughter are also prone to air sickness. We decided on a plane trip with Wings Over Kauai. It was great! They both took Dramamine before we left and were ok the entire trip. The plane was also stocked with ginger tablets and water. We saw some of the helicopter tours dipping in a bit closer but I don't think either of them would have done as well that route. Wings Over Kauai also had a family special running so it was only $500 for our family of 6 (max number of passengers).

Kim

We took the Helicopter tour in Kaui with Blue Sky. I wasn't too excited as I don't do well in small planes. But this was amazingly smooth. Maybe we had a calm day, or maybe helicopters are smoother than small planes. Whether you go in a plane or helicopter, take the precautions mentioned above - you will enjoy in immensely! The diverse scenery is truly remarkable.

Archived