Security Question with Hip replacement

Bastet

I have 2 hip replacements, last one about 5 months ago and getting around quite well. I do not have a card from the Dr. -- he said they can be faked and are basically useless-- and I have never needed one at U.S airports. I just go through the scanner or get wanded. I checked with Princess and was told they would not require anything. My question is what about foreign airports/international travel. We will be flying to Barcelona and back from Venice. Will the foreign airports want to see a card? Is there security at any of the tourist sites like there is in the U.S. that might want to see a card? A friend of mine was asked for a card at the Empire State Building.

While most security officials won't ask for the card, you should always have it on you....for nothing more than medical purposes!

The new backscatter scanners won't see inside of you, so it shouldn't be an issue. it's only the metal detectors that may have a problem with it....hubby has a pacemaker, and can go thru the backscatter scanners just fine...no alarms! He can't be wanded or go thru anything with magnets, so in the past, it was always a hand-search for him.

Didn't think of the medical angle, especially since Dr. said didn't really need a card. I figured the 7" - 8" scars would speak for themselves. I was just wondering about whether the security is tighter in Europe and whether they expect to see some sort of document. I definitely set off alarms. I don't even try to go through the regular security at airports any more, I just go straight to the scanner.

We flew thru Munich airport last November. Security is very tight there and I had no problem with my hip replacement. I got a very thorough pat down, my hubby said the gal should have bought me dinner...lol, but except for the extra time for pat down it was all fine. I have no card and have never been asked for one. :)

While most security officials won't ask for the card, you should always have it on you....for nothing more than medical purposes!

The new backscatter scanners won't see inside of you, so it shouldn't be an issue. it's only the metal detectors that may have a problem with it....hubby has a pacemaker, and can go thru the backscatter scanners just fine...no alarms! He can't be wanded or go thru anything with magnets, so in the past, it was always a hand-search for him.

Our mother also has a pacemaker. She carries her medical card everywhere. cb at sea is correct, most security officials won't ask but it makes it easier for our family when we are at foreign ports by simply showing the card. No wands or scanners for her. She is hand-search as well. :)

I am an operating room nurse, specializing in ortho. We do not give out implant cards for total hips, shoulders or knees . Implant cards are for pacemakers, defibrillators, ports, etc. Things that would need to be checked or adjusted etc by medical staff so we know the correct model/type.

If you're concerned, why do you even hesitate?

Whether or not your doctor thinks you need it (realizing he is not an expert in foreign travel regulations) ask him to write "Hip replacement, right or left side, the date installed, and sign his name on one of his proscription slips.

The whole thing need not take more than one minute and then you have at least something to back up your claim.

It does not need to be a formally prepared and notarized letter.

Scott & Karen

My husband has a hip replacement. We travelled via both Venice and Barcelona recently. He received a thorough pat down at both airports but was not asked to show proof of his replacement. The same procedure was applied at the UK airports.

My husband has a hip replacement. We travelled via both Venice and Barcelona recently. He received a thorough pat down at both airports but was not asked to show proof of his replacement. The same procedure was applied at the UK airports.

Thank you for the info. I have both hips replaced and we are traveling through Barcelona & London airports in Sept.

If you're concerned, why do you even hesitate?

Whether or not your doctor thinks you need it (realizing he is not an expert in foreign travel regulations) ask him to write "Hip replacement, right or left side, the date installed, and sign his name on one of his proscription slips.

The whole thing need not take more than one minute and then you have at least something to back up your claim.

It does not need to be a formally prepared and notarized letter.

Scott & Karen

This is pretty much what I carry due to the staples in one of my heels. Fortunately I've never set off the alarms, but I carry my Ortho Dr's card with essentially the same info; just in case.

I can understand medical cards for people with devices where they cannot go through any type of magnetic device because of staples, pace makers, etc. They need the proof of why. I was just curious about how things were handled outside the U.S. for those of us who always set off airport alarms because of our bionic parts.:D The last cruise I was on I only had the 1 hip replacement and didn't set off Princess's alarm. I'm wondering whether 2 will do it. Guess I'll see come Sept.

BTW, I just flew through both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia without any problems. I head for the body scanners, if there are any, and just explain to the TSA agent about my hips. When there are no scanners, I explain before I go through the regular detector and then wait for a female TSA agent. I have never had anything but professional, curteous treatment. And even some nice conversations.

Archived