Snorkeling at Castaway Cay

gabster001

We are on the Dream for a four day cruise at the end of August. We weren't planning to sign up for any activities at Castaway Cay, but were wondering if it was worthwhile to bring our own snorkels--I'm now sure if it is worthwhile trying to snorkel on the general beach there or if there is a less crowded place where we could use them and actually see some fish? Thanks

We are on the Dream for a four day cruise at the end of August. We weren't planning to sign up for any activities at Castaway Cay, but were wondering if it was worthwhile to bring our own snorkels--I'm now sure if it is worthwhile trying to snorkel on the general beach there or if there is a less crowded place where we could use them and actually see some fish? Thanks

You can bring your own snorkle equipment, if you wish. However, DCL requires you to use thier snorkle vest. They have them available for pick-up at the snorkle issue place. No charge.

There are lots of fish at the snorkling location they have set up at CC.

:)

It is worth bringing your stuff. Most important is to be off the ship right away. Head straight to the snorkle beach and do that first. This is when you will see the most fish, before the water and sand get stirred up. Be sure to look for all the hidden things, including Mickey! You can also use your snorkle gear at Serenity Bay, the adult only beach. Have fun.

1. As previously stated, snorkel first.... the water is typically clearer.

2. You are not going to see some amazing array of fish. In my opinion, on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best snorkeling in the world and 1 being the worst, the Disney snorkeling is perhaps a 2.

3. The Mickey statue and those kinds of things is far out in the cove. Plan accordingly and watch the weather. If you can see a squall line approaching, start your swim back to shore. I can tell you from experience, if you're far out in the cove when the water gets choppy, it's a long and tiring swim to shore.

We bring our own stuff.

Do you have kids in your group? is not read this....

We use to go to the area at the family beach but now we go over to the adult beach and the water is not very deep. If you get tired you can stand up and reat in almost all places. Now the fish are smaller but they have an area that is a little seeper and the have big fish around there. We have seen lots of big star fish 14 to 24 inches accross. We have also seen a baracuda and yes even a nurse shark and that was right along the beach. You also dont have to worry about the water getting dirty...

If no children in your traveling party, go to Serenity Bay. I always bring my own snorkel gear with prescription lenses -- otherwise I'm pretty blind out there. We also saw a small baracuda swimming close to the waters edge this past April and saw some purple, orange and rusty red colored starfish.

Im on the Dream the end of August too!! :D

When we were there a couple years ago I did bring my snorkeling gear. But you need to get the life vest, it is a pretty far swim to see the mickey statue.... also, we did go in the afternoon and it did get cloudy but we saw some good fish... a big starfish too!!!:)

We bring our own stuff.

Do you have kids in your group? is not read this....

We use to go to the area at the family beach but now we go over to the adult beach and the water is not very deep. If you get tired you can stand up and reat in almost all places. Now the fish are smaller but they have an area that is a little seeper and the have big fish around there. We have seen lots of big star fish 14 to 24 inches accross. We have also seen a baracuda and yes even a nurse shark and that was right along the beach. You also dont have to worry about the water getting dirty...

our 1st foray to adult beach in a few days, glad to hear there's something to warrant bringing my gear. We leave flippers as home @ CC.

• 3 weeks later...
Im on the Dream the end of August too!! :D

When we were there a couple years ago I did bring my snorkeling gear. But you need to get the life vest, it is a pretty far swim to see the mickey statue.... also, we did go in the afternoon and it did get cloudy but we saw some good fish... a big starfish too!!!:)

We are on the Dream too. We booked it the day it listed, can't wait! We are taking our 11 year old daughter on her first Disney. We have done the the Magic and Wonder with our Grand Daughter. Adoption is a good reason to do it again.

Archived