ATN and Customs

Jennyfer

Although I have not personally flown ATN our experience with international travel is that you can take unopened snacks (nuts, chips, granola bars, etc.) without any trouble. Laptops are also a non-issue, we travel with two (sometimes three) every time we fly, which is often. All you have to do is take them out of the carry on and put them through the x-ray machine separately. Easy.

don't worry it is really no different than domestic security screening. Laptops need to be taken out of the bag and placed separately in a bin when going through the scanners.

Only thing you cannot bring through is liquids of >3 oz. That is pretty standard these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a very stupid questions....BUT, I do not know anything about how computer works internationally. Can I bring my computer on the ship and somehow do email via wireless? Ok stop laughing....I really am dumb when it come to this. I know my cell phone won't work, but it would be nice to be able to get in touch with family in the states with computer. Any help for this dummy would be great:rolleyes:

You can pay connect charges on the PG to provide you with internet so that you can be in email contact on the ship. I don't know what the charges are now, but you can do it. They also have a small computer room so if you don't want to bring your laptop you can still do this.

highlandshores:

Here is an excerpt from the list of FAQs (and answers) on Paul Gauguin's website. Hope this helps:

"The ship is equipped with a state-of-the-art communication system. An Internet Center is centrally located with seven computers. In addition, guests can take advantage of WiFi Hot Spots in the Piano Bar, La Palette, Pool Deck, Pool Bar, all suites on Deck 8, and all suites/staterooms on Deck 7 from 701 to 726.

Internet access is available for a nominal fee. After a one-time account activation fee of $3.95, applicable to all users at first login, guests may choose from the following three plans:

Time Plan #1: $62.50 for 250 minutes ($0.25 per minute)

Time Plan #2: $35 for 100 minutes ($0.35 per minute)

Pay As You Go: $0.55 per minute

Please note that plan upgrades are not available, and no credit is given for unused minutes. The Internet Café is open 24 hours. Pay-as-you-go is available until 10:00 p.m. the last night of the cruise. Time Plan minutes can be used until 10:00 a.m. the following day."

We didn't want to lug our laptop with us, and just used the computers in the "Internet Cafe" on deck five by L'Etoile.

highlandshores:

Here is an excerpt from the list of FAQs (and answers) on Paul Gauguin's website. Hope this helps:

"The ship is equipped with a state-of-the-art communication system. An Internet Center is centrally located with seven computers. In addition, guests can take advantage of WiFi Hot Spots in the Piano Bar, La Palette, Pool Deck, Pool Bar, all suites on Deck 8, and all suites/staterooms on Deck 7 from 701 to 726.

Internet access is available for a nominal fee. After a one-time account activation fee of $3.95, applicable to all users at first login, guests may choose from the following three plans:

Time Plan #1: $62.50 for 250 minutes ($0.25 per minute)

Time Plan #2: $35 for 100 minutes ($0.35 per minute)

Pay As You Go: $0.55 per minute

Please note that plan upgrades are not available, and no credit is given for unused minutes. The Internet Café is open 24 hours. Pay-as-you-go is available until 10:00 p.m. the last night of the cruise. Time Plan minutes can be used until 10:00 a.m. the following day."

We didn't want to lug our laptop with us, and just used the computers in the "Internet Cafe" on deck five by L'Etoile.

I always take my laptop. It is much less expensive because you can compose your e-mails off line and then just go on line to Send.

You cannot do this in the Internet Cafe.

The problem is that the connection speed is very slow. I am Elite on Princess and get 100 minutes free and seldom use them all.

Most ships now have wifi all over the ship; however, P.G. only has certain hot spots, not in cabins yet.

Archived