Legend Review 7-3 to 7-10 2011 Lots of Pictures

Larry'sLady

I'm really enjoying your review and the pix!

fyi: I don't think the hill you show in your picture is the one people are talking about. The "hill" is outside of mahogany bay, past the taxi stands and then to the left. That's how you get to non-carnival owned property and to the independent tour operators who are not allowed on the mahogany bay/carnial property. Its considerably steeper and longer. Still not bad for someone who is relatively healthy but the day we were there in sept it was HOT and HUMID. Still completely doable but the air conditioned van waiting for us was very welcome.

susan

Great review and pictures. Am looking forward to get back on this ship and ports in November. Will be nice to see the new dock area in Rotan. My first cruise on the Legend we were supposed to be the first to dock there, but it got pushed out a few more days so we docked at the old pier.

In regards to the "hill" from what I understand from the lady that gave us a driving tour she showed us the new "pier" area and if you leave the pier and go to go inland away from the Carnival area there is a big hill. From the car we were in looking down it looked quite steep. If you book a non Carnival excursion you must walk up that hill to the exit to meet up with your tour guides as they are not allowed into Carnival area.

The time we went we went with an outside tour group and got quite the tour of the island for a reasonable price and felt very safe.

The snorkeling photos from Roatan are fantastic!! Thanks Dave!

I knew that could not have been the hill everyone was talking about. Thanks for clearing that up.Dave said that the independent tour guide told him if a member of our group met him at the top of the hill, Carnival would allow him in the area to pick up the rest of the group.

I have a lot of snorkeling pictures. Let me know if you want to see more and I will add them. Dave will answer the question about snorkeling in Roatan. Glad y'all like the review.:o

FRIDAY – Grand Cayman, British West Indies

We were in Grand Cayman from 10AM until 6PM. We took a 5 minute tender ride to port about 10:30. Kelly, Dave & Macie had an excursion booked and left earlier. If you wanted to leave the ship before 11:45, you had to go to the Follies Lounge and get a ticket. After 11:45 you could just go to the gangway and depart. The Fun Times said the ride was 25 minutes long and tenders ran every 30 to 45 minutes. Neither was true. We found tenders ran all the time. They did not have to be full to go back to the ship. We just walked around the city and port area and shopped. We got lost, but had our map and became found again. The best place we shopped was the Tortuga Rum Store in port. We bought a lot of liquor and cakes (cheaper than the ship) for gifts and they delivered it to the ship. It was delivered to our room on the last night. We found another jewelry store where we bought me two more Pandora charms (an anchor and a colored charm). They were the same price as at home but no tax. We went back to the ship for lunch.

Meanwhile, Dave, Kelly & Macie went to see the turtle farm, the stingrays, the Tortuga Rum factory and the dolphins. Dave also did some snorkeling. Their tour was not crowded so they threw in the dolphins for free. They really enjoyed this tour. They booked it on board with Carnival. You will see the name of the tour company in the pictures is Kellys Water Tours. They got back late, again without lunch. I think they got a snack before we went to dinner at 6.

After dinner tonight, we went to the Firebird Lounge to see the comedian, Diane. She was excellent and on the money with her routine. We just sat around tonight. We went to the Unicorn for a late snack and then had more balcony time. It sure seems like our time aboard the Legend has flown by. Our towel animal was a sting ray or a bird, I think.

I decided to add some more of Dave's Roatan snorkeling pictures. They are awesome. The Grand Cayman pictures of the turtle and stingrays are unbelievably realistic. Feels like you could touch them.

537.jpg

534.jpg

533.jpg

532.jpg

531.jpg

Ok y"all, settle in for lots of pictures of the ship, the turtle farm, sting rays, and snorkeling. Enjoy.

On the tour bus

630.jpg

Dave said this was for everyone who had told him to go there

635.jpg

Nice family pic

637.jpg

Beautiful tropical trees & plants

639.jpg

Iguanas were everywhere

640.jpg

Beautiful waters in Grand Cayman

641-1.jpg

I'm really enjoying your review and the pix!

fyi: I don't think the hill you show in your picture is the one people are talking about. The "hill" is outside of mahogany bay, past the taxi stands and then to the left. That's how you get to non-carnival owned property and to the independent tour operators who are not allowed on the mahogany bay/carnial property. Its considerably steeper and longer. Still not bad for someone who is relatively healthy but the day we were there in sept it was HOT and HUMID. Still completely doable but the air conditioned van waiting for us was very welcome.

susan

You are so right Susan, on our cruise last September we tackled the hill. We also are a little younger, but overweight and out of shape and the hill was a mountain to us (we live in Florida!) It was well worth it though and we got a tour from Charlie for almost 4 hours for the four of us and it was only $20 per person. He took us all over the island, up beautiful mountain scenic spots and to see the town. We also went to Parrot Bay which was just beautiful. I agree that Roatan is the most beautiful port. I recommend everyone taking the tour of the island. We found a lady in one of the shops that sold natural goods. We asked her and it was her "brother" who gave the tours. She called him and he met us on the down side of the hill. Your review is great. We only have 7 more Sundays to go! Can't wait :)

Tour company boat

719.jpg

Jaws?

727.jpg

Beautiful water

729.jpg

733.jpg

Kelly said one of the tour operators dove off the boat to retrieve the starfish so they could hold it. They put it back.

737.jpg

Another picture of the beautiful Legend

741.jpg

I would love to know Larry's opinion on the local beer's at all the ports! What ones were the best and what ones should i pass on trying? Thanks for any info.....your pictures are beautiful! Great review!

Hi Bruce, Glad you like the review. I asked Larry and he said they were all good and certainly worth the money. His regular beer is Coors in the bottle. Not Coors light but the hi-test regular. He also drinks Corona but not on a regular basis. He said the Mexican beers reminded him of Corona with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Some of the beers in Roatan were dark beer. You will love the two bars there at the shops & the beach. At the one near the shops, they had frozen drinks in machines that you could sample for free. They were all good!! The people there were very friendly too. We didn't eat there, but we saw several people having lunch. We thought Roatan was a little piece of Paradise.:D Hope this helps

Archived