Rolling Cooler Size?

MrsMMark

We have a softside rolling cooler that we want to use to carry on our softdrinks/wine on our upcoming cruise. But it is larger than 12x12 or whatever the dimensions are that are mentioned on the CCL site - it is the size of a regular carry-on luggage. I don't plan to bring ice in it - just the drinks, but then I can store ice and drinks in it in the room. I guess my question is how strict is CCL about cooler dimensions when bringing on rolling carry-on coolers?

For a couple, 24 non-alcoholic drinks and 2 bottles of wine takes a LOT of carry-on space!

We have a softside rolling cooler that we want to use to carry on our softdrinks/wine on our upcoming cruise. But it is larger than 12x12 or whatever the dimensions are that are mentioned on the CCL site - it is the size of a regular carry-on luggage. I don't plan to bring ice in it - just the drinks, but then I can store ice and drinks in it in the room. I guess my question is how strict is CCL about cooler dimensions when bringing on rolling carry-on coolers?

For a couple, 24 non-alcoholic drinks and 2 bottles of wine takes a LOT of carry-on space!

They are very strict, if it is larger than 12 x 12 x 12, you will not be able to take it on the ship.

Last Decembers Cruise I had thought of doing that same thing and was told that I could not board with the cooler, so someone got a brand new cooler because I had to leave it with security and they could not return it back I did have an option to take it to my car but I did not park at the pier.

No matter how you try to explian your way around it Carnival has a rule...12 x 12 x12.....;)

Darn! Hmmm . . . I guess I could pack the rolling cooler in my checked luggage and bring the drinks on in a regular carry-on and then put the drinks in the cooler when we get in the room. But that kinda defeats the purpose of buying a rooling cooler, huh? Would a full-size bottle of wine and softdrinks even fit in a 12x12x12 cooler? How would we keep the drinks or wine cool if they won't fit in the cooler?

Darn! Hmmm . . . I guess I could pack the rolling cooler in my checked luggage and bring the drinks on in a regular carry-on and then put the drinks in the cooler when we get in the room. But that kinda defeats the purpose of buying a rooling cooler, huh? Would a full-size bottle of wine and softdrinks even fit in a 12x12x12 cooler? How would we keep the drinks or wine cool if they won't fit in the cooler?

Sorry for crappy pics~ taken with my cell~

I found this cooler at Walgreens for $10~

folds up flat ~

cooler2.jpg

open up and you can fit a bottle of wine in it and have the room steward keep it filled with ice~ place it on a towel in case it leaks or leave it in the shower (when not in use~~lol) the red thing on the left hand side of last picture is a ruler~seems to be about 12x12x12 but it's not a very sturdy cooler.

cooler3.jpg

cooler.jpg

We brought on a wheeled cooler last year that definitely wasn't the right measurements. Nobody blinked an eye. The cooler is in this picture to the right of the flowered bag. Now, I'm just recounting my experience...please don't take my post as a green light! :)

020.jpg

We brought on a wheeled cooler last year that definitely wasn't the right measurements. Nobody blinked an eye. The cooler is in this picture to the right of the flowered bag. Now, I'm just recounting my experience...please don't take my post as a green light! :)

My rolling cooler is 12x12x14 and I was wondering if it would be able to go through. I guess if they don't allow it my husband can take it back to the car!?!:o

I have been wondering the same thing. I have a rolling cooler that I had intended to bring on board...its smaller then most rolling carryon's but its still a cooler..so I am confused as to what the difference would really be? Its about the same size in the photo someone else posted. I would call Carnival but I know I would get 5 or more different answer's and chances are NONE of them would be correct.

Let us try this again...Take what you want or let someone you don't know tell you what they suppsedly did or misdirect you....It is your cooker they will take....LOL

LARGE COOLERS RESTRICTION:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its vessels. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”W x 12”L for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process; therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage

My theory based on nothing but guesswork is this: If everyone was allowed to bring on any sized coolers and everyone wanted ice to fill huge cooler then it would cause a major problem to have all the ice desired. I think that the "security" statement is not a real reason.

We have brought a larger than allowed cooler on every cruise we have been on, out of FLL, Tampa, Jax and Port Canaveral....

We always check the cooler with the luggage.

Fill it with our bubba kegs, shoes, towels, whatever.

Just NO DRINKS........

We carry our allowed drinks on with a $20 folding hand cart from Wal-mart.

Then when we get to our cabin we unpack the cooler, meet our steward and ask him to fill it for us.

You could also just get a completely collapsible cooler (like someone already posted a picture for) and pack IN your checked luggage.

Again, just unpack, fold out and ask your steward to fill.

Just NEVER try to bring an oversized cooler on as a carryon and never pack drinks in it and try to check it.

Bill

Let us try this again...Take what you want or let someone you don't know tell you what they suppsedly did or misdirect you....It is your cooker they will take....LOL

Pretty sure I put in my post that I was only recounting MY experience and NOT providing anyone with a green light to bring a larger cooler than Carnival allows.

I thought that this is what this site promoted...sharing personal cruise experiences...

On my first cruise out of Galveston I brought on a larger soft-sided rolling cooler (thought I could pass it off as regular luggage) had the drinks in it and nobody said anything. The next cruise out of San Diego security stopped me and wouldn't let me board because of the cooler. I tried to talk my way out of it saying that it was for the 4 of us, etc. They didn't buy it and I had to take the sodas out of it and lug them around in my purse and leave the cooler at the dock. When we returned from our cruise, I was pleasantly suprised to find our cooler waiting for us, with the remaining sodas (that I couldn't fit in my purse) still inside. Since then I have bought a large cooler that folds flat from Sam's Club and carry on my sodas with a rolling luggage carrier.

I picked up a collapsible cooler at Dollar General for $10 last week that is similar to the picture posted above. It folds flat and has velcro to secure it that way. I plan to pack that in my suitcase and bring on our soda and water in a rolling carry on.

020.jpg

I have one identical to that and went right through Tampa without a blink.

Its 12 X 12 X 12

Since you know they dont allow it, just have to hope to be lucky. Galveston, they have been able to spot illegal sized coolers a mile away. They have a tape measure handy and even if its 1/2 inch larger have refused some.

Archived