Rules About Carry On

GRIFFITH1

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE RULES ARE ABOUT CARRYING ON A PERSONAL ITEM ? I KNOW YOU CAN HAVE ONE CARRY ON PLUS A PERSONAL ITEM LIKE A PURSE OR BACKPACK , BUT I WONDERED ABOUT CARRYING ON A LARGE SHOULDER TOTE . IT'S A MAKE UP TOTE . IS THERE A RULE ABOUT THE MEASUREMENTS OF THE PERSONAL ITEM ? DOES ANYONE KNOW ? WE ARE FLYING TO VANCOUVER FOR THE NORTHBOUND TO ALAKSA IN JULY .

:confused:

I have a carry on problem,(please do not say check the airline web site, done that and called them on the phone, could not get answer)

Problem is this, I fly out to UK on Delta who allow 2 carry ons providing they will fit in the overhead or under the seat. No problem there

BUT

Cunard booked me to fly back on BA who only allow 1 carry on. No one can tell me if BA will refuse to let me bring the 2nd one on board, or will charge me extra for that bag, or foce me to check it and also pay extra.

Even worse is the fact that I have to change to American Eagle in Miami, which only has very small aircraft. They are not going to like the 2 checked through suitcases (legal size and weight for Delta)

I hope someone reading this has also dealt with this problem in the past, any advice other than access the web site will be appreciated.

Problem is this, I fly out to UK on Delta who allow 2 carry ons providing they will fit in the overhead or under the seat. No problem there

BUT

Cunard booked me to fly back on BA who only allow 1 carry on. No one can tell me if BA will refuse to let me bring the 2nd one on board, or will charge me extra for that bag, or foce me to check it and also pay extra.

Even worse is the fact that I have to change to American Eagle in Miami, which only has very small aircraft. They are not going to like the 2 checked through suitcases (legal size and weight for Delta)

Easy solution: Bring only one carry-on, at least on the return trip.

After all, why do you need two? You're going to get a free checked allowance of 2 pieces at 32 kg each on both the trans-Atlantics. If the American Eagle flight is on the same ticket as the BA flight to Miami, that higher allowance should apply to that flight as well.

So if you only bring one carry-on, you won't fall foul of either BA's limit, or any one carry-on limit which may be imposed by American Eagle as well.

On the BA flight, you're also likely to see the benefit for all passengers of a strict cabin baggage limit. No need to rush to get on board the aircraft first, plenty of space for everyone, fewer things falling out of the overhead bins, etc.

Cabin baggage (carry - on baggage)

Class of travel Piece allowance & dimensions Weight allowance

FIRST, Club World, Club Europe*** Medium bag* plus a briefcase or laptop** 18kg (40lbs) total weight##

World Traveller Plus Medium bag* plus a briefcase or laptop** 12kg (26lbs) total weight##

World Traveller***

Euro Traveller***

UK Domestic*** Medium bag* 6kg (13lbs) total weight

Children (paying 50% of adult fare) Same as adult allowance Same as adult allowance

Infants Medium bag* 6kg (13lbs) total weight

*Maximum dimensions 55 x 40x 20 cm (22 x 16 x 8 ins).

**Maximum dimensions 45 x 35 x 20 cm (18 x 14 x 8 ins).

***Due to the different sizes of aircraft operated by oneworld members, BA codeshare and franchise partners, the number of pieces and the maximum weight allowed will be determined by each airline's policies and procedures. Each airline will advise customers of the most restrictive allowance for their itinerary at time of booking or check-in.

Notes:

i) Passengers will be allowed the most generous cabin baggage allowance on BA operated services.

ii) Baby buggies and mobility aids may need to be checked to the hold due to limited stowage on-board.

##No piece heavier than 9 kg (20lbs).

Dimensions, Weight and Number of Pieces

For flights wholly within the United States and between the United States and Canada

The maximum amount of baggage each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge is:

2 pieces checked and one carry-on

Please note that one carry-on personal item (see "Carry-on Allowance") does not count toward the free bag allowance.

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.

Two checked bags at 62 in/157 cm each

One carry-on bag at 45 in/114 cm

The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 lbs/23 kgs.

The maximum weight per carry-on bag is 40 lbs/18 kgs.

Archived