Beach Transportation?

vtwiggy

DH and I will be going on our 2nd cruise this December. Our first cruise was a 4-nighter to the Bahamas, and we overbooked ourselves - an excursion at every port. This time we are trying to save a little money and not be so scheduled.

I am wondering about how easy and safe it is to get to the beach in Grand Cayman from the port. Paying $40 each for an official Carnival "day at the beach" seems extravagant when all we want to do is spend some time on the beach, swim, and maybe walk around town some. But, we have never been there before and don't know our way around. It seems that 7 mile beach is the most popular. Is it easy to just catch a cab from the port to a beach? And how safe is the area where the port is?

Thanks in advance!! :D

Grand Cayman is very clean and safe. Taxi's are close to where you'll get off the ship. Getting to 7 mile beach is a quick and inexpensive taxi ride. The only downside is they generally make you wait until they fill up their vehicle.

I know what you mean about overbooking yourselves! Our first cruise I spent so much time on booked excursions and running from activity to activity on the ship I was spending more time checking the time than enjoying myself. Now 14 cruises later - we've got the hang of it:p

My daughter was in Grand Cayman in Feb on RCI--she and her boyfriend walked up a block towards the library and hailed the bus--2.50 a ride and they went to the seven mile beach and got back to the ship without a problem. We plan to do the same thing and get off at the Royal Palms to hit the beach--no excursion planned--only sun and shopping before we tender back--have to get some BBD rum for my daughter's boyfriends.

My daughter was in Grand Cayman in Feb on RCI--she and her boyfriend walked up a block towards the library and hailed the bus--2.50 a ride and they went to the seven mile beach and got back to the ship without a problem. We plan to do the same thing and get off at the Royal Palms to hit the beach--no excursion planned--only sun and shopping before we tender back--have to get some BBD rum for my daughter's boyfriends.

how much does it cost to spend the day at Royal Palms?

There is no charge to enter Royal Palms, but chair, umbrella and float was $10.00 each per person.

I emailed Royal Palms and they said $10 per chair and $10 per umbrella, therefore $30 for two people - is that correct, or did I misunderstand? What happens if you move from beach to pool is it easy enough to find another lounger? Do you get a wristband or something? thanks

I emailed them also. Something to note is, they do not allow children (under 18) in the pool. This is disappointing.

Here is the email I received:

Currently there is no fee for entry to the Royal Palms but we are considering one. Possibly $2.00 per person. Sure, you can rent chairs and let the kids keep their stuff nearby. No reservations necessary. Pool use is free but no kids under 18, I'm afraid. Water sports activities are: wave runner rentals, banana boat rides, float rentals, snorkel & fins rental. We book parasailing with friends of ours.

I hope this is helpful.

Archived