Entertainment onboard Marina

ActiveTraveler

We choose Oceania primarily because of the itinerary, so we spend a lot of time on excursions. On the Marina, the rest of the time we were planning how to get added reservation times in Red Ginger or Jacques... We thoroughly enjoyed the string quartet (a carryover from the Regatta we appreciated). They were a great way to relax before eating and generally unwind after the day, and are one more reason the ambiance on the ships is quite good.

We did catch parts of the 9:45 show, but rarely saw all of one, or stayed the full time. The room was generally pretty full, and the seating arrangement makes it tough to "slide in" without disturbing a number of other folks in your chosen row. The ceiling seems low, and sight lines are a little crowded due to a lack of elevation in the room, but we don't expect Vegas on the seas. Our violinist was excellent, the singing and dancing acts were fine, the comedian was so-so, and nothing offended us...

One thing I wish (were I in charge) they would consider is to occasionally have an early show, especially on a sea day, so we could go to the show, and then eat. we neither want to eat too early, or rush our time, so (especially when at one of the specialty restaurants) we often were not finished until 10:00 or so. we might walk into the show lounge to see what was happening, but didn't feel we should disturb others that far into the performances.

I know, I know, many like to eat early, and we all have our preferences. Since they vary so widely, it isn't inappropriate to consider changing things a bit to accommodate some who want to reverse the order of watch-eat...this could be done pretty easily for the single-act shows that don't require costume changes. I'm confident a violinist could do a 6:30 show, and then come back at 9:45 for another one, etc.

Just a thought, Bob H

I do not know if that still is the case on the "R" ships, but that certainly is not the case now on Marina. Opinions certainly seem to differ on Dez and Cherry (we only caught their act twice), but thought both shows, although perhaps a bit cornball, extremely charming, with Dez having a lot of charisma, but the pianist and violinist were top-notch IMO and the dancers and singers a huge improvement from the past. I, too, would have loved another show by the very talented pianist.

None of the Marina entertainers fit within the categories you mention above. People may hate the room, but the entertainment, which is not Broadway level (which I, of course, did not expect) certainly has been upped substantially IMO.

I agree with Pam. I have been to many Broadway shows and I never thought of comparing the ships singers and dancers to Broadway. That is not a fair comparison in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Had really looked forward to the production shows, and found the performers quite talented, but the shows poorly conceived, and the costumes the tackiest I could imagine...quite disappointed overall, even though the singers were very good.

I have returned form a cruise on Marina and...

The entertainment, in my opinion.. is totally and completely amateurish...

The so-called "production shows" are completely lacluster... the choreography is the same in every number they do.. the costumes are extremely tacky and cheap looking...

Oceania needs to get rid of the Gary Musick production company and find something better.. it is an embarassment to watch...

The singers and dancers are mediocre, at best... Surely with all of the unemployed talent that exists these days, they could find better voices ..

I ahve been on Marina twice and have seen the same tired, amateur shows both times.. "Groovin".. "River Rhapsody".... "Con Molto" and whatever the other one was called... they are truly BAD.

Nothing against Margaret, Oceania's hostess, but I'm tired of seeing her do the same old acts onboard the various ships.

Let's face it, Oceania's entertainment is (to be nice) less than satisfactory. None of us are asking for a grand show, just shows that are more than mediocre.

I'm fascinated by this thread. The differences of opinion about the quality of the entertainment on O, Marina in particular, is marked.

Could we be dealing with differences in where people live, cultural differences, age differences, . . .?

Interesting discussion, though.

I'm fascinated by this thread. The differences of opinion about the quality of the entertainment on O, Marina in particular, is marked.

Could we be dealing with differences in where people live, cultural differences, age differences, . . .?

Interesting discussion, though.

some of the acts were BAD (one I will not mention)

Some of it is personal preferences

Lyn

On one of our cruises, I believe it was a TA, they had two guys from the West End (London) , singers mainly, who had been in shows. They were great, and all they needed was a microphone. Well, actually, two! I think they may also have done some dancing......

Mo

Archived