Talk me out of it!

OCMama

Booked with Moby Dick for the Stingray City Tour. At first, it all sounded amazing! Now, I'm super nervous about it. I love snorkeling, but kind of freak out when the fish get too close. How am I going to handle those huge rays? Mark at Moby Dick has reassured me that they will make sure I feel comfortable and are sure it will be one of the best experiences. Well, of course he's going to say that. I have read many reviews about people absolutely loving this excursion, but I'm still having reservations about it. Please talk me out of canceling this tour!

We are going to do this tour when we go to Grand Cayman also. I think you should go! If you get out to the sandbar and are still feeling really uncomfortable then you can make the decision to stay on the boat and watch. Either way, enjoy your cruise! :)

I love being in with the stringrays! Remember not to wear any rings- none at all! This is the time to leave wedding rings in your safe! They give you some semi-frozen shrimp or squid to feed the stringrays and it will lubricate your fingers and the stringrays can accidentially suck the rings off your hands. With me they surrounded me and were sucking on my legs under the water- I never laughed so hard in my life! After I fed them they moved away a bit and I could really pet them. Smooth on top and velvety underneath. These are wild animals, but they are used to being around people. We had a great time. Go with an open mind and be prepared. You can watch a bit from the boat and then join in. Be a little brave and you will have a good time.;)

Remember not to wear any rings- none at all! This is the time to leave wedding rings in your safe! They give you some semi-frozen shrimp or squid to feed the stringrays and it will lubricate your fingers and the stringrays can accidentially suck the rings off your hands.

OMG, thank you so much for this tip!!! I almost lost my rings in Hawaii a few years ago. I took them off to apply sunblock & didn't want to get them full of gunk, so I took them off and completely forgot about it. After what seemed like an enternity, we found them. I NEVER want to feel like that again.

We went with Moby Dick Tours in February and really enjoyed the time with the stingrays. When you are in the water they will not bring the stingrays to you until you are ready and ask if you can touch them (or feed them). They do not pressure you to do anything you are not comfortable doing. Go and enjoy the experience. Once you are in the water with the other people you will see how gentle these creatures are towards the people.

Booked with Moby Dick for the Stingray City Tour. At first, it all sounded amazing! Now, I'm super nervous about it. I love snorkeling, but kind of freak out when the fish get too close. How am I going to handle those huge rays? Mark at Moby Dick has reassured me that they will make sure I feel comfortable and are sure it will be one of the best experiences. Well, of course he's going to say that. I have read many reviews about people absolutely loving this excursion, but I'm still having reservations about it. Please talk me out of canceling this tour!

Do not cancel!

The rays are amazing. If you get scared just get back in the boat. You will still have a great view from the boat. As long as you are a 'water' person you will enjoy this excursion.

You will love it. Moby Dick is an awesome group of people, and you will be in a small group. I do understand your concerns I was the same way but once i got there i loved it. As a matter of fact I have used them twice. the snorkling is amazing. Just relax and enjoy it.

We did this tour last year. I read on a previous thread last year (someone in our group had concerns) this advise. Get in the water sooner than later. The advise giver stated she was hesitate and stayed on the boat.

Unfortunately more and more stingrays showed up as the group was feeding etc. So everyone was used to the stingrays and she decided to get in. So it was even more over whelming for her.

For our group, I was the first one in. It took a little time for the rays to come around so as more showed up, I knew what to expect.

For what its is worth.

Go For It!

My sister is scared to death of fish and planned to stay onboard and just watch. The crew talked her into the water and she had a blast. Just let the crew know you need some help and they will make it fun for you.

:D

My wife and I have done this trip several times. The first time my wife did not even want to go into the water but I finally got her in. Then she wanted to stay right next to the boat and hold on to it, but I got her to just let go and enjoy it. By the time we were suppose to leave I could hardly get her back into the boat. She absolutely loved it and has not hesitated to get in the water with the rays since then. Give it a try, it may end up being the best thing you do on your cruise, I know it was for my wife.

I actually went on the stingray tour being very hesitant like you are. Once I was in the water and they came up, I did touch a few and thought it was cool, but I couldn't shake the uneasiness, so I ended up getting back in the boat after a while. I don't regret at ALL getting in the water with them, bc like everyone is saying it was definitely awesome, but I also really enjoyed watching them from the boat as well. It was well worth it, but I wanted to chime in so you knew that it's ok to go and, if you're uncomfortable, get out :o it's still VERY fun and a great time.

We loved it - and I was about 50 when we went! Our then teenage daughter decided to stay in the boat due to fear and has regretted it all 10 years since we went - that she didn't get into the water! They only sucked once on one girl in our group - none of the rest of us were! They warned us not to step on one, I accidentally did and it just swam away! I didn't feel nervous at all while I was with them.

Archived