Edmonds to Vancouver Amtrak business class?

CanWeGoYet?

Wondering if any of you all reading this board have done this. I live a lot closer to Edmonds than the King Street Station. I want to buy at least 2 business class seats, but don't want to get stuck with what is "picked over" by the time it reaches the Edmonds station.

Can anyone here comment on how the seating assignments are done - or what is left over for business class after they board the business class passengers in Seattle? Do you think it is important to board from King Street?

I am certain that the expert in all things Amtrak, Zephyr 17, will be along shortly....but I fear that you will get the left-overs in Edmonds. That is not all bad but if you really want two seats together on the left side of the car...well you may not get them.

That was my gut feeling too. Seems silly to go downtown & then have the train run back north past my neck of the woods, but I guess it would be the safest thing to do!

Maybe ferry traffic in the morning would be as bad as freeway traffic heading south, so won't be a huge time difference.

Thanks Putterdude.

Wondering if any of you all reading this board have done this. I live a lot closer to Edmonds than the King Street Station. I want to buy at least 2 business class seats, but don't want to get stuck with what is "picked over" by the time it reaches the Edmonds station.

Can anyone here comment on how the seating assignments are done - or what is left over for business class after they board the business class passengers in Seattle? Do you think it is important to board from King Street?

Edmonds is also the closest station to me, and is where I typically board the Cascades to Vancouver, I seldom go down to King Street when going north. Most crews allow for people getting on up the line when assigning seats, and will try to preserve at least some of the water side double seats for those passengers. But chances are certainly better at King Stree. At Edmonds, how you will get seats depends on the crew. Some will assign you seats as you get on, others (and more commonly in my experience) will just let you pick your seats. So it is to your advantage to try to be the first to the door at Edmonds. They'll open up one Business Class door at Edmonds and one or two coach doors. Business Class is going to be towards the back of the train. Any seat without a "seat check" (small piece of cardboard) in the holder above the seat is unoccupied.

How they assign seats is a bit of an art, and practiced differently by different crews. One thing I've seen is that couples that are "shorts", not going all the way to Vancouver, getting off at Bellingham, for example, will get assigned singles, preserving the doubles for the longer haul passengers.

I don't think it is worth it to go down to King Street. If push comes to shove, you can go into the diner and sit there for the good parts after they lift your tickets (up to Everett, and between about 15 minutes out of Mt. Vernon to Bellingham).

BTW, there is free long-term parking for Amtrak customers at Everett, unlike Seattle or Edmonds. If I am driving to the station, going north or east, and will be gone for more than a day, I'll usually take advantage of that and board at Everett.

Darn confused when I 1st read this, given there's an "Edmonds Station" on Vancouver's Skytrain system

Thanks for the feedback zephyr17. I'm a little closer to Edmonds amtrak than King street - but it's still a drive either way & I may opt to drive south instead of east for slightly better seats.

That's good to know on the free parking. If my cruise ended in vancouver I would opt for Everett!

Scottbee I can see that would be confusing - she wants to drive all the way up to canada & take a train for a short distance? :D

the crew knows exactly how many seats are sold in each class before it leaves Seattle. Edmonds and stations beyone normally have a car just for them. I did business class from Vanc and they gave me a single seat but I wanted to sit on the right for the view and more room. The attendant kept reminding me and others that in Mt. Vernon and Everett x many people would be joining us and they will need any extra seats. Personally I'd leave from Edmonds. There are always tables and chairs to sit at in the old 'restaraunt' car that isn't used any more. Thats always a last resort

The above was not our experience in May. There were a couple of cars kept completely empty (for reasons I didn't understand) while the few people that boarded north of King St. did not get to sit together.

The above was not our experience in May. There were a couple of cars kept completely empty (for reasons I didn't understand) while the few people that boarded north of King St. did not get to sit together.

Unfortunately, there are vagaries on how the crew handles things, and some are more professional and better than others. Was that in coach or Business Class.

In that situation, with open seats, it is always on option to get up, grab your seat check, and move. The crew might give you hassle, but it often works. Wait until after Everett, especially, because Edmonds and Everett are the places where they get the most people downline boarding.

Unfortunately, there are vagaries on how the crew handles things, and some are more professional and better than others. Was that in coach or Business Class.

In that situation, with open seats, it is always on option to get up, grab your seat check, and move. The crew might give you hassle, but it often works. Wait until after Everett, especially, because Edmonds and Everett are the places where they get the most people downline boarding.

It was business class and the seats were a lighter colour than the car we were in. I was quite puzzled as to why they were cramming all of into the the one car and just decided that is was easier to clean just one car.

Railways move in mysterious ways.;)

Sounds like they really don't want customers, or at least any returning customers.

Thanks for the info. Vancouver round-trip Alaska cruises are less costly than Seattle RT. But the difference has to be enough to pay for the train and the customs hassle. The beauty for us Washingtonians in cruising from Seattle is no customs and NO TSA! :D

Thanks for the info. Vancouver round-trip Alaska cruises are less costly than Seattle RT. But the difference has to be enough to pay for the train and the customs hassle. The beauty for us Washingtonians in cruising from Seattle is no customs and NO TSA! :D

But you miss a day in either direction of the Inside Passage easily the most scenic part of an Alaskan itinerary.

Perhaps the empty cars were needed in Vancouver on the return trip - perhaps for a large group - doubt that they would keep much rolling stock in Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis

Amtrak doesn't keep any rolling stock in Vancouver at all, and the Talgos are fixed consists and cars can't be switched in or out without a LOT of trouble (the cars share wheels and don't have conventional couplers). They are always the same length. The train just turns around at Vancouver.

Unfortunately, Amtrak crews are hugely variable in attitude, and the company has never gotten a handle on it. So one crew can be great, and another is atrocious. If it were me, I would take my seat check and move to the empty car, particullarly after Everett.

Perhaps the empty cars were needed in Vancouver on the return trip - perhaps for a large group - doubt that they would keep much rolling stock in Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis

No doubt that this was the reason plus uncoupling a car in the middle of the train must be a bit of a hassle.

Archived