Travel in Europe before Holy Land Cruise

Basket cruiser

I am writing to ask for help. Our family is taking a Holy Land cruise in October. This will be their 2nd cruise and we are not able to join them :(. I am writing to ask for help from you wonderful cruisers.

They are checking into their options and realized that taking the train/bus from the FCO airport to Civitavecchia, Italy is the best choice. Problem is, they are getting in late (their flight arrives after 8pm) and they know it takes approx. 1hr/30 min from the airport to the hotel/port...so....does anyone know which trains or route to take that would work best for them?

They will be leaving from FCO airport-Rome-Fuicino and need to get to their hotel : Hotel Traiano, via Fabio Filzi, 1

Civitavecchia, RM 00053 Italy that same evening.

Anyone out there that can help me with some information for them? They are military and this is a well-deserve family vacation for the three of them. I would be so greatful is anyone has any suggestions and can help me. Either respond here, or, feel free to email me directly. nascar0@fuse.net

Thank you all for yourhelp! ;)

Basket cruiser

As far as I am aware, it is not possible to get a bus or train from airport to Civitavecchia. There is a fantastic, regular and very low cost, train service from Rome to Civitavecchia and you would get the airport bus to Rome (Terminii rail station) get a hotel near the rail station, and train down to Civitavecchia the following morning.

The other option (best one if 1st time in area) is an expensive (equivalent of $125-150) taxi ride from airport to hotel in Civitavecchia. This may be the only option if hotel booked is prepaid, and non-refundable! The great thing about being there overnight is an early boarding around 11.00am. Incidentally there is nothing of interest in Civitavecchia, except the port!!

They could take the FR1 train from FCO to Trastevere station

20:58

FIUMICA 21:24

RM TRAS 00:26 22119 ND ND

21:28

FIUMICA 21:54

RM TRAS 00:26 22123 ND ND

21:58

FIUMICA 22:24

RM TRAS 00:26 22125 ND ND

22:28

FIUMICA 22:54

RM TRAS 00:26 22127 ND ND

then the FR5 train from Trastevere to Civitavecchia:

21:24

RM TRAS 22:15

C.CCHIA 00:51 3270 ND ND

21:54

RM TRAS 22:57

C.CCHIA 01:03 12268 ND ND

22:24

RM TRAS 23:20

C.CCHIA 00:56 12270 ND ND

23:37

RM TRAS 00:40

C.CCHIA 01:03 12272 ND ND

This information is from trenitalia.com and these are the station names you would enter when you are ready to check the departures available for their specific date:

Roma Aeroporto Fuimicino

Roma Trastevere

Civitavecchia

This is a map of the regional trains and metro in Rome:

http://www.easd2008.org/img/roma_metro.gif

As far as I am aware, it is not possible to get a bus or train from airport to Civitavecchia. There is a fantastic, regular and very low cost, train service from Rome to Civitavecchia and you would get the airport bus to Rome (Terminii rail station) get a hotel near the rail station, and train down to Civitavecchia the following morning.

The other option (best one if 1st time in area) is an expensive (equivalent of $125-150) taxi ride from airport to hotel in Civitavecchia. This may be the only option if hotel booked is prepaid, and non-refundable! The great thing about being there overnight is an early boarding around 11.00am. Incidentally there is nothing of interest in Civitavecchia, except the port!!

That depends! Sights of interest in Civitacecchia (from Wikipedia):

• The massive Forte Michelangelo ("Michelangelo's fort") was first commissioned from Bramante by Pope Julius II, to defend the port of Rome, and was completed in 1535 by Giuliano Leno and Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, under Paul III. The upper part of the "maschio" tower, however, was designed by Michelangelo, whose name is generally applied to the fortress. The fortress was built over an ancient Roman construction.
  • The Rocca ("castle"), re-built in the late 15th century by Pope Sixtus V. A Palazzo Apostolico was added by Pius IV in the 16th century.
  • The cathedral of San Francesco d'Assisi was built by the Franciscans over a pre-existing small church built from 1610. The current edifice, with Baroque-Neoclassical lines, was erected in the eighteenth century.
  • North of the city at Ficoncella are the Terme Taurine baths frequented by Romans and still popular with the Civitavecchiesi. The modern name stems from the fig plants among the various pools.

No, I wouldn't trade a day in Rome for a day in Civitavecchia, but you can't throw a stone in Italy without hitting something historically interesting. :)

I would suggest that they pay for a taxi, unless someone else can suggest a transfer service which may or may not be cheaper. I would email the hotel for advice.

They have a long flight and a problem in parts of Italy is that taxi drivers refuse short fares. So even if they could get a train into Rome, they would have to walk to the hotel. Then back the next morning and train to Civitavecchia and find way to the port. All very exhausting.

We are flying into Rome from Hong Kong via London, and also arriving late, and have the same situation. Our friends were caught unable to get taxi from the station in Rome and we had the same situation last year at Milan.

"They will be leaving from FCO airport-Rome-Fuicino and need to get to their hotel : Hotel Traiano, via Fabio Filzi, Civitavecchia that same evening... Anyone out there that can help me with some information for them? They are military and this is a well-deserve family vacation for the three of them."

You've got to figure in some time for getting through passport control and for pulling luggage off the carousel. Adding everything together, they're probably not going to see the front door of their hotel before 11:30 p.m. Italian time. You haven't mentioned the age of your family members or whether they're able to sleep on the airplane. The kindest arrangement to mind and body would be to have them met at the airport by a transfer service and driven to their hotel. After a long travel day, few things are more welcoming than someone holding a sign with my name on it. When I'm touring, I'm happy to walk or use public transportation. However, I don't sleep well on planes, so I love a little TLC on arrival.

To give you a sense of cost, I checked two reliable companies: Context Travel and Rome in Limo.

Context Travel publishes its prices for airport to Rome transfer, but not for a ride to Civitavecchia. With three people traveling they will require a small van costing 80 Euros/114 USD. (Based on the information I learned from Rome in Limo, there is likely to be a surcharge for the late arrival time.)

I couldn't get any specifics from the Rome in Limo transfer form beyond the fact that there will be a surcharge for a ride between 7:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. After filling in the form, a dialog box came up telling me to use the generic booking form, but includes no price.

Your obvious affection for your family comes through in your post. If finances are an issue for this military family, perhaps several in your family would enjoy coming together to make a gift of their transfer.

I appreciate the replies I am receiving for this. You are all so wonderful to help. They are so very excited, mom and dad are 36 and 37, child is 8 going on 28.... secod cruise for them all, however, we were with them and it was in the states, much different. Thanks everyone. I do appreciate all the help!

:)

Archived