Toddler and Transatlantic?

FTCCO

We're starting to plan our first cruise, which includes bringing along our 3 y.o.

We really wanted to see Barcelona and Greece, but there don't seem to be many options including both during the late November/Early December time we want to go. Of those, we don't know which really are toddler friendly. Some ships talk about how they cater to older kids or babies, but then lump in preschoolers with much older kids. Our daughter is pretty social, mostly potty trained except when asleep.

We considered maybe doing a Transatlantic trip, as those ships leave later in the year to move to the Caribbean, and that might be fun to see too. Then again, this means more days at sea, and not as deep into Europe.

If anyone has any suggestions on what routes or ships we could consider for 2011 Nov/Dec, that would be appreciated!

Trans Ocean crossings don't tend to attract many families (I've done about 6 Trans Ocean crossings and can count on one hand the number of kids on board), so you might encounter a situation where there is no kid's program or a very limited program, if that's important for you and your child. The only lines that have in cabin sitting are Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. No other lines provide that service. That's something you might want to consider if the ship doesn't offer a kid's program, or a very limited program. Plus, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have rules about being totally potty trained for their kid's clubs, as they don't help with toileting at all. The child must be completely independent.

As for itinerary, you're probably not going to find any that combine both Barcelona and Greece--they're just too far apart to do so in a timely manner. It's just not what cruise lines do for their crossings. Most likely, you'll be leaving from Rome, Southampton, Venice or Barcelona and start the crossing there.

As for lines, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL are the most child friendly. But as I said, crossings tend to have the fewest children, no matter what time of year.

We did a 14 day crossing (back and forth across the Pacific) that had only 4 or 5 port days and my twins who turned 4 on board had a wonderful time. It was on Princess and during the school year, so there were as few kids as are ever going to be on a ship, but there still were enough to play with and the kids program runs no matter how few children are on board. It's still one of our favorite trips because sea days are so stress free. None of us were ready for the cruise to end and we'd certainly do it again. Now that they're in school, we can't take advantage of those amazing prices on Atlantic crossings - I wish we had done it before Kindergarten.

Best,

Mia

We are booked on the RCC adventure from Malaga to San juan next April during term time and our son will be 3yrs 9mths at the time. I asked a similar question on here before booking and heard some positive responses. We did a 12 night over last new year and I think my son enjoyed the sea days as much as the ports so I thought we'd give it a try, especially with the benefit of no jet lag. Our cruise is a long while off yet, and while there are a lots of nice people on our m&m, no other families yet.

Look at the Carnival Breeze Nov 6

and the Carnival Magic October 28

both leave from Barcelona neither go to Greece

Do any TAs go to Greece?

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/SailingSearch/Search2/?dest=ET

Those cruses are in two different years...Magic in 2011, Breeze in 2012, as she is still a-building. EM

T

As for itinerary, you're probably not going to find any that combine both Barcelona and Greece--they're just too far apart to do so in a timely manner. ....

As for lines, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL are the most child friendly. But as I said, crossings tend to have the fewest children, no matter what time of year.

Thanks for the advice, and will definitely focus on RC and NCL. I've heard some vague things that Carnival isn't "as nice" as the other two, though I'm not entirely sure what people meant.

Oddly enough, I did see a transatlantic cruise that combined Greece and Barcelona, it's just a little long perhaps given our situation as first time cruisers with a toddler to handle too. It also leaves in October. It's the Holland America 27 day Passage to the New World Tour.

From what people are saying it seems unlikely that a cruise of that sort would have good support for our kiddo. And it's such a long trip if she hates it.

Oh well, maybe some time in another decade we could try it.

HAL would treat you child well...as long as she is fully 3 and potty trained. After all, she would be one of very few, and get lots of attention. EM

I hope this is the case for rc also, I'm not sure my son will take so well to the adventure ocean but if there is a good playworker to child ratio it might be different.

I guess the ship carries the same make up of crew for a ta as a 'normal' cruise, so kids should get good attention.

I hope this is the case for rc also, I'm not sure my son will take so well to the adventure ocean but if there is a good playworker to child ratio it might be different.

I guess the ship carries the same make up of crew for a ta as a 'normal' cruise, so kids should get good attention.

Not necessarily. If the ship knows there will be one or two kids on a cruise, they will give the counselors a "holiday" and they won't be on board. I've seen this happen a few times on some of my cruises. If there aren't enough kids to sustain a program, the cruise line doesn't want to pay workers to not work.

Thanks for the advice, and will definitely focus on RC and NCL. I've heard some vague things that Carnival isn't "as nice" as the other two, though I'm not entirely sure what people meant.

Oddly enough, I did see a transatlantic cruise that combined Greece and Barcelona, it's just a little long perhaps given our situation as first time cruisers with a toddler to handle too. It also leaves in October. It's the Holland America 27 day Passage to the New World Tour.

From what people are saying it seems unlikely that a cruise of that sort would have good support for our kiddo. And it's such a long trip if she hates it.

Oh well, maybe some time in another decade we could try it.

Carnival gets a bad rap sometimes, but they're not all that bad. To be honest, some of my recent cruises on Royal Caribbean have been disappointing and the ones on Carnival have been quite good. Now NCL, that's a different story. While it's obvious the line has their fans, I wouldn't take an NCL cruise again, even if it were free.

As for Holland America, they do tend to attract a much older crowd, and even higher for their crossings and their really long cruises. Not many families can take their kids out of school for that long a time, unless they're home schooled.

Not necessarily. If the ship knows there will be one or two kids on a cruise, they will give the counselors a "holiday" and they won't be on board. I've seen this happen a few times on some of my cruises. If there aren't enough kids to sustain a program, the cruise line doesn't want to pay workers to not work.

Gosh! I hadn't realised that might be the case. Its all to late now as flights booked etc but I'll prob check with rc a month or so before departure so my little one knows what to expect.

Archived