Cabins big enough for 2 cribs?

dlsteve67

We have twin girls that are going to be 22 months old at the time of the cruise in January. What type of cabin should we choose? The normal interior and ocean view cabin look small but probably could fit 2 cribs in there?

Any suggestions? We are planning to book with either Carnival or Royal Caribbean since we have been told they are the best for kids.

A couple of the ships we are considering are...

Carnival Glory

Carnival Liberty

RC Navigator Of The Seas

RC Oasis Of The Seas

I really doubt you could fit two cribs in those staterooms. Well, you may, but then you wouldn't be able to stand on the floor! How about getting a room with a sofabed?

Of the ships you mention, I would choose Oasis for their nursery and toddler friendly activities.

I've never been on Carnival, so I cannot comment there.

On RCL, the lowest cabin category that I think would fit two cribs (pack and plays are provided by RCL) is a Junior suite. Alternatively, you could get two connecting cabins that have a connecting door between them. Sometimes two connecting interiors are cheaper than one Junior suite.

You may even be able to skip the cribs in two connecting cabins by placing mattresses on the floor.

I would call the cruise line and ask what your options are. They may have restrictions on how many cribs you can have in a room due to safety and fire codes.

Should be no problem on CCL. Here is a picture of 2 cribs in an inside cabin on Miracle:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1447871

There isn't all that much floor space left, but there isn't much floor space to being with. :D OV is the same size, as is a balcony usually. (You can get a better idea of cabin sizes quickly on Expedia by doing fake bookings and looking at the category descriptions.)

This picture was in a 4K, so there is about 1 foot of space between the bed and the 'balcony' doors. In a regular inside, you could probably have the room setup to reclaim that extra foot.

I haven't been on RCCL in a few years, but it seems like the cabins are about the same size as CCL (and Princess for that matter). NCL cabins are 30-40 sqft smaller, apparently.

I wouldn't bother with a JS unless you'd do that regardless. The biggest issue you'll face is needing to be quiet in a darkened cabin at nap time and bed time. A JS won't really help with that since it's still one big room, as far as I've seen.

One other comment: if you choose CCL you might want to wait until they are 2YO. At that age you can put them in Camp and give yourself some relaxation time. Trust me, with twin toddlers you will both be run ragged. Been there, done that... and booked the next cruise 1 week after their 2 year bday :D

I think AO on RCCL is 3YO, but somebody else would have to verify that.

Congrats on the twins. It's a whole different world, isn't it? :) :)

One other comment: if you choose CCL you might want to wait until they are 2YO. At that age you can put them in Camp and give yourself some relaxation time. Trust me, with twin toddlers you will both be run ragged. Been there, done that... and booked the next cruise 1 week after their 2 year bday :D

I think AO on RCCL is 3YO, but somebody else would have to verify that.

That is correct - on RCCL, they must be 3 and completely potty-trained. However, Oasis (and Freedom) class ships have baby splash zones for the diapered set - Carnival has nothing like that, so OP would have to bring a little blow-up pool for the twins to have any water time.

There's no way 2 cribs will fit into an interior or OV cabin on Nav....unless you want no floor space at all! Those cabins are 160 and 180 sq. ft. respectively. You could look into connecting cabins...one for you and one for the cribs....or a JS..that would give you room. (and, a bathtub!)

That is correct - on RCCL, they must be 3 and completely potty-trained. However, Oasis (and Freedom) class ships have baby splash zones for the diapered set - Carnival has nothing like that, so OP would have to bring a little blow-up pool for the twins to have any water time.

You are so right! Hope that OP realizes that Carnival will not allow his 22-month old twins into any pool if they are not potty-trained! RCI will, as long as they're booked on Oasis/Allure or Freedom-class ship....and as long as they use clearly designated splash pools.

I can't comment on Carnival, but if you go with RCI, I'd pick Oasis so that the twins can go into the baby splash zone. They will have a blast in there. They also have a nursery on board, and in-cabin babysitting available. These both give you great options for some adult alone time! They have the Fisher Price classes every day, and also have a big room full of the Fisher Price toys...so there's a place for you to go play with the kids if you want to.

The advantage of having the Junior Suite is that there is a bathtub. There is a blackout curtain that completely divides the Junior Suite -- the curtain goes wall-to-wall. So the twins cribs could be on one side of the curtain, and your bed (and the bathroom) are on the other side.

Another option might be 2 inside cabins with a connecting door.

If you go on the Navigator (or any of the Voyager class RC ships) you could try and get either cabin 1688 or 1388 (mirror image of each other). They are a standard D1 balcony room, but because of their location they are about double the size of the other rooms but cost the same!!!!!! Plus you get an aft balcony that is larger than normal as well. These rooms are larger than a JS but don't have a bathtub or walk-in closet like a JS does.

A couple of other advantages to these rooms are that you are just one flight of stairs from the buffet and only two from the kids club!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYO-QiYk8DWQFmHiozUkKSFs_qjLWCy_66J1ZLwjvpWC3J4FDjXQimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSel6ffNe7pzF-g7W1VXNrCm4z-nPC61kV3Dc90N7ZfBZS_qCuAYQ

gallery.html#

Edited to Add: I didn't catch that they will only be 22 months at time of sailing. That being the case I would go with the Oasis because the other ships you mentioned they have to be 2 or 3 to participate in the kids activities. Can't help you with a room on Oasis though. There will be WAY more to do for EVERY age group on the Oasis!

I'm not an avid cruiser enough to know the difference between all the different ships since we only sail RCCL or Princess out of Galveston.

Anyway, our first cruise with our girls was in a D1 (Balcony). It worked, but my husband does NOT like to be cramped. For us, the bed was closest to the window, which can be good if you want to hang out on your balcony while they sleep (their pack-n-plays not right next to the door)....but its a pain if they are sleeping and you are trying to get ready for dinner. Both PnP's were provided by the ship. I can't remember if our sofa was a pull out or not (I'm guessing it was since we had 4 people in the room), but, we asked the attendant to take the table out of the room. I can't imagine trying to put those PnPs in an inside room. You would need to find an inside room that can accommodate 4 people, because they cannot register more people for a room than it can hold (you have to study the ship layouts).

The next cruise, we got a Junior Suite which provided more room and my husband was happier. This time, the sitting area is closer to the door and the bed is closer to the closet and bathroom.

The next cruise, we got a JS and an inside right across the hall for the same price the 4 of us in the JS the previous cruise. DH with one kid, me in the inside with the other. Adjoining rooms are great too if you can find them.

Even if your kids are old enough for activities, be aware that RCCL will not take them if they cry when you leave.

Sorry I don't have access to my pictures right now.

Definitely at least get a balcony if you can - especially one with glass so they can look out (some balconies on some ships are metal)...our kids love the balcony. Have a great time with your Twincesses!

Archived