Is there a Catholic priest on the Eclipse to say Mass, especially on Sundays?

mollyvicto

Just put yourself in the place of those of us who are active practicing Protestants. I often think we are the "forgotten majority." We also would like to attend Sunday Services onboard. It has been somewhat disheartening in the past to see that such a service would exclude us because we are not practicing Catholics.

My solution would be to ensure that there is a non-denomination Christian worship service led by a member of the crew who would lead such a service with dignity and in the spirit of inclusiveness. That crew member could receive some basic training in worship leadership and use materials which have been prepared jointly by Protestant and Catholic religious leaders.

I truly hope Celebrity would consider such a solution.

What an excellent idea.A service that would welcome everyone to attend and possibly have a Holy Communion that would invite everyone to partake with no exclusions. Such a service would be uplifting, How could anyone object?

I just have to put my two cents in again regarding comments about 'excluding' people. I was raised Catholic (even though I practice as a Protestant these days) and even years ago I do not recall the Church ever trying to exclude someone from a service. Anyone is welcome at the Catholic services. I don't know the current procedure, but I have seen priests request that communion only be given to baptized Catholics (and I have at times seen priests welcome anyone). That is the only 'exclusion' in the literal sense that I am aware of. Feeling excluded because the religion is not your own is of course a different matter, but anyone can attend the service.

What an excellent idea. A service that would welcome everyone to attend and possibly have a Holy Communion that would invite everyone to partake with no exclusions. Such a service would be uplifting, How could anyone object?

We're getting into a "touchy" area here. Holy Communion is different for Catholics. The idea of transubstantiation is one of the issues that divides Catholics from other denominations of Christianity. While I am very comfortable attending a "service" where all are gathered to pray, it's not a "mass" and does not fulfill my requirement, as a Catholic, to attend mass once a week.

I am very fortunate in that my family is composed of lots of religions. In fact, my mother is Jewish. I have attended services in Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, and Episcopal churches and all were very prayerful. I have also participated in Passover Cedars and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. Again, all were prayerful and I know God was there in all cases. BUT - I am supposed to attend Mass on Sunday!

For my upcoming cruise (March 2012) we will be in Antigua on Sunday. I have found several Catholic churches there (thanks to Google!) so DH and I will attend Mass there.

Obviously, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and I just thank God that we live in a country where all can worship as we see fit.

I'm stepping off the soapbox now .... please don't be angry with me.

Connie

We're getting into a "touchy" area here. Holy Communion is different for Catholics. The idea of transubstantiation is one of the issues that divides Catholics from other denominations of Christianity. While I am very comfortable attending a "service" where all are gathered to pray, it's not a "mass" and does not fulfill my requirement, as a Catholic, to attend mass once a week.

I am very fortunate in that my family is composed of lots of religions. In fact, my mother is Jewish. I have attended services in Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, and Episcopal churches and all were very prayerful. I have also participated in Passover Cedars and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. Again, all were prayerful and I know God was there in all cases. BUT - I am supposed to attend Mass on Sunday!

For my upcoming cruise (March 2012) we will be in Antigua on Sunday. I have found several Catholic churches there (thanks to Google!) so DH and I will attend Mass there.

Obviously, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and I just thank God that we live in a country where all can worship as we see fit.

I'm stepping off the soapbox now .... please don't be angry with me.

Connie

Amen, Connie, Amen. ;)

I'm Elite with Celebrity but have gone back to HAL (4****) Mariner, simply because they provide a Catholic Priest on all their ships. Terrible decision by Celebrity to eliminate Priests on board. They have lost my business.

catalina56

We sailed on the Mercury out of Baltimore shortly after the policy was changed (Jan, 2010). The Maryland Knights of Columbus, a Catholic fraternal order, had a large contingent on that sailing. Their chaplain offered daily Mass, although you really had to search for it, as it wasn't advertised. They also had a slightly better publicized Mass Sunday evening, as in, if you walked up to customer relations and asked specifically, they would point you to the correct sign. For Sunday Mass, the priest was prepared with Communion for 250 people. Over 400 showed up. The Eucharistic Ministers kept breaking the Hosts into smaller and smaller pieces, but, as with the miracle of the loaves and fishes, they never ran out.

I remember hearing that Princess had a policy where any religious leader, priest, minister, rabbi, etc., would receive a discount on their cruise if they would lead an appropriate service. If no one else was available, the captain or another ship's officer would lead a non-denominational prayer service on Sunday. This was about 6 or 7 years ago, so I don't know if it's still true.

I should think a policy like Princess, which is available to all faiths so no discrimination, and is a price discount but not a complete subsidy, would be a reasonable solution.

Kathy

We sailed on the Mercury out of Baltimore shortly after the policy was changed (Jan, 2010). The Maryland Knights of Columbus, a Catholic fraternal order, had a large contingent on that sailing. Their chaplain offered daily Mass, although you really had to search for it, as it wasn't advertised. They also had a slightly better publicized Mass Sunday evening, as in, if you walked up to customer relations and asked specifically, they would point you to the correct sign. For Sunday Mass, the priest was prepared with Communion for 250 people. Over 400 showed up. The Eucharistic Ministers kept breaking the Hosts into smaller and smaller pieces, but, as with the miracle of the loaves and fishes, they never ran out.

I remember hearing that Princess had a policy where any religious leader, priest, minister, rabbi, etc., would receive a discount on their cruise if they would lead an appropriate service. If no one else was available, the captain or another ship's officer would lead a non-denominational prayer service on Sunday. This was about 6 or 7 years ago, so I don't know if it's still true.

I should think a policy like Princess, which is available to all faiths so no discrimination, and is a price discount but not a complete subsidy, would be a reasonable solution.

Kathy

Do we think they will they extend the discount to the Austrian (and member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) who just won the legal right to wear a spaghetti strainer on his head in his driver's license photo? :p

We've been onboard Celebrity cruisings where the Catholic priest has held Catholic Mass and then a separate service that was non-denominational. Also, the priest celebrated Mass for the crew. Information for guests concerning dates and times was found in the Guest Relations area on an information board that also advertises for other groups that wish to meet. Sometimes the information was in the Celebrity daily newsletter. If no priest was onboard, we have seen groups come together to pray, read scriptures, etc.

We have always appreciated having a Catholic priest onboard.

Do we think they will they extend the discount to the Austrian (and member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) who just won the legal right to wear a spaghetti strainer on his head in his driver's license photo? :p

Yup,You can be ordained on some websites for 25 bucks

:cj

We've been onboard Celebrity cruisings where the Catholic priest has held Catholic Mass and then a separate service that was non-denominational. Also, the priest celebrated Mass for the crew. Information for guests concerning dates and times was found in the Guest Relations area on an information board that also advertises for other groups that wish to meet. Sometimes the information was in the Celebrity daily newsletter. If no priest was onboard, we have seen groups come together to pray, read scriptures, etc.

We have always appreciated having a Catholic priest onboard.

its great that the Priest had a service for the Christians on board also.

Sometimes people forget that we are are children of God and that Jesus loves all the children of the world

:cj

Archived