Having trouble booking a private excursion to The Baths

Conanc

Hi,

We will be on the Serenade in January and I am having trouble booking a private excursion to the Baths. Tortola Charters and Aristocat are not going to the Baths. I am waiting to hear back from Kuralu. I heard from Patouche and they are offering a full day charter, but my email replies to them keeps bouncing back. I think the website is also down so I will keep trying, but meanwhile does anyone have any other suggestions?

Other options would be to take the ferry on our own, or to book with the cruiseline. We do not own snorkeling gear and are thinking we would prefer a charter although I am not sure what the "swim in" is like. If anyone has any information to share, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you!

We have tried a number of times to get a charter to the Baths and have never made it. The north swells in January are unpredictable at best. We went oout with Patouch 2 years ago but they could only take us over to Norman Island and a quick stop at Salt Island because of the weather. Last year ( on Serenade in January) we took the Smith's ferry over and back, you can get transportation to the Baths from them also. It was half the price of the ship's excursion and the only difference was we had to walk over to the ferry dock about a 15 minute stroll. We own our own snorkeling gear but didn't bother taking it. Even though the red flag wasn't up it looked pretty rough. Just going through the Baths was a lot of fun and worth the trip. I'd recommend going with the ferry.

We have tried a number of times to get a charter to the Baths and have never made it. The north swells in January are unpredictable at best. We went oout with Patouch 2 years ago but they could only take us over to Norman Island and a quick stop at Salt Island because of the weather. Last year ( on Serenade in January) we took the Smith's ferry over and back, you can get transportation to the Baths from them also. It was half the price of the ship's excursion and the only difference was we had to walk over to the ferry dock about a 15 minute stroll. We own our own snorkeling gear but didn't bother taking it. Even though the red flag wasn't up it looked pretty rough. Just going through the Baths was a lot of fun and worth the trip. I'd recommend going with the ferry.

Thanks....I think we may just have to "wing it" and decide last minute and just take the ferry over. If it is too rough, we will have a back up plan in place. Just wanted to be able to check The Baths off our bucket list. ;) Last time we were in Tortola it was only for a short time so we couldn't get to the Baths.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Conanc, looks like we are on the same cruise.. I'm also interested in the baths.. Im curious of what you found...

Hi Snownut,

We decided that we are going to do the Baths on our own. I emailed Tortola Charters and two other companies that are recommended here on the boards, and none are offering excursions to the Baths that day. I emailed Patouche,and they wrote back to say that they were not offering their half-day tour, but they did have a full day tour available. When I emailed back (at least two or three times) about their full day tour, my emails bounced back. I think their server was just down, but that's when we decided to just wing it and take the ferry over ourselves. We were a little worried about swimming in anyway -- two in our party are not strong swimmers.

Can't wait for this cruise! Have you joined the roll call yet?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1191994&page=11

I would be wary of the swim in. My 23 year old son cruised with me in January. He is a good, strong swimmer but he said it was very rough. He was not able to enjoy the excursion because even once he made it to the Baths he knew he would have to swim back. The cruise lines canceled their excursion to the Baths, the private excursion did not. In fairness, when we complained later via e mail, we got a refund and an offer of a free trip next time we are in Tortola.

I would be wary of the swim in. My 23 year old son cruised with me in January. He is a good, strong swimmer but he said it was very rough. He was not able to enjoy the excursion because even once he made it to the Baths he knew he would have to swim back. The cruise lines canceled their excursion to the Baths, the private excursion did not. In fairness, when we complained later via e mail, we got a refund and an offer of a free trip next time we are in Tortola.

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I was worried about -- the swim back! After looking at photos and reading reviews, I knew the thought of that would be hanging over my head and would take away from enjoying the Baths. Although it looks like this could be an enjoyable excursion for some, I know we made the right decision for us.

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I was worried about -- the swim back! After looking at photos and reading reviews, I knew the thought of that would be hanging over my head and would take away from enjoying the Baths. Although it looks like this could be an enjoyable excursion for some, I know we made the right decision for us.

Glad I could help. You are on vacation. You do not need to create stress for yourself.

Archived