Insurance question

QLUVS2CRUZ

I just booked two cabins for an August 2012 sailing. I know I have to get the insurance within 14-21 days of deposit date (for most companies), but my question is this...I only booked one person in each cabin in order to pay a $500 deposit instead of $1000. I will add the other two in a couple of months when I'm ready to make another payment on the cruise. Final payment date is not until June 2012, so I plan to make a few payments until then rather than have to pay all at one time...anyway...should I buy insurance now for all four of us, or should I just buy it for the two of us I booked, then get a separate policy for the other two when I add them on? The cost will not change when I add them, but then will the insurance coverage be skewed if I cover two of us for the full amount? Will the other two get no coverage if I wait?

I will call some of the insurance companies and ask the question, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience with this particular situation.

The main reason to buy within 14 - 21 days is to insure coverage of an "pre-existing" medical conditions.

If pre-existing medical conditions are not a concern (for traveling and non-traveling) family members, then not much of a reason to be concerned with insurance yet.

The amount you pay for insurance will be dependant upon the total cost of your travel expense minus any refundable deposits you make.

Also (I'm quit sure) that the 14 -21 day countdown clock begins when you make initial travel deposits,, NOT when you put names to the roster.

The main reason to buy within 14 - 21 days is to insure coverage of an "pre-existing" medical conditions.

If pre-existing medical conditions are not a concern (for traveling and non-traveling) family members, then not much of a reason to be concerned with insurance yet.

The amount you pay for insurance will be dependant upon the total cost of your travel expense minus any refundable deposits you make.

Also (I'm quit sure) that the 14 -21 day countdown clock begins when you make initial travel deposits,, NOT when you put names to the roster.

OK, thanks. I do have a pre-existing condition, so I will need to get it within the timeframe noted. I did email one of the companies to ask the same question.

Look up InsureMyTrip. It is a comparison engine that allows you to select the features you want and then tells you which company has the best price. I have used them twice and had different companies each time. What I like is that I can locate a policy with the option to add a "cancel for any reason" rider that will give you 75% back if you cancel for any reason.

I also have a pre-existing condition so I book my insurance the same day I make reservations unless it is just a really cheap $200/pp cruise, in which case I'll just self-insure because I can't justify spending $70 for something that might happen to protect an investment of $200.

I used to be a travel agent and the commissions on travel insurance at retail through the cruise lines or some of the big providers like TravelGuard are just insane. They clearly make a large profit on them, but I've found policies for about half the price using other resources.

OK, thanks. I do have a pre-existing condition, so I will need to get it within the timeframe noted. I did email one of the companies to ask the same question.

Double check on the pre-existing condition part even if you buy it the same day. They told me it did not matter when we bought the insurance, the pre-existing still applied.

Double check on the pre-existing condition part even if you buy it the same day. They told me it did not matter when we bought the insurance, the pre-existing still applied.

who told you that and what is the name of the policy you are referring to?

Bill

Archived