Best time for a cruisetour in Alaska

JRockey76

Just wondering when the best time(month) is to take a cruisetour in Alaska, and which cruise line you would recommend...thanks

This is a very difficult question to answer. I suggest you get a Fodor's and/or Frommers book on Alaska and do a bit of reading. Should be able to find them at the library. No need to have the latest edition. Many like the book Alaska by Cruiseship. Also do some searches on this forum for specific info you are looking for.

Remember what is best for one family, may not be best for another family.

May and September are "best" if you want to save money. However, if going on a cruisetour and getting into the depths of Denali is a priority, you would not want to go early May or too late in September. In fact the road all the way into Denali is not typically open until June 8. The tours to Eilson begin June 1. The Tundra Wilderness Tour begins May 20. So, do a little homework. Also if going into Denali is important, check your cruise tour carefully. Many provide the Natural History Tour. It only goes 17 miles into the park, two miles more than the free shuttle. You want a cruisetour that offers the Tundra Wilderness Tour which goes 53 miles into the park, IF you really want to get into the National Park. You can often upgrade the Natural History Tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour if there is enough time. If your tour offers enough time in Denali, you could cancel the cruisetour provided tour and book a shuttle to either Eilson or Wonder Lake which will get you even further into the park. Something to consider. Also, if you don't mind planning the land on your own, you will likely save some nice money, which you could use for the great but expensive excursions from the cruise ship. Lots of info available on this forum for planning a trip on your own.

I chose mid-June in 2008 to hopefully cruise during a drier period. This time I am going in August to try to take advantage of seeing the salmon runs and maybe some bear fishing for salmon. I know I am likely to hit more rain, but I wanted to increase my chances of seeing bear. I also wanted to go later in the season to increase my chances of getting closer to Hubbard Glacier and the Sawyer Glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm Fjord. Sometimes when you go too early in the season, the ships have a hard time navigating to get close enough to the glaciers...just too much ice!!!

May will be cooler, but have more snow covered mountain tops. I understand mid to late August is lovely in the interior because of the fall colors. I hope you can see that there is lots to consider and there really is not "best" time to go to Alaska.

I would pick my cruiseline by the itinerary I liked best. If glaciers are a priority, I would look at the Southbound Princess itinerary out of Whittier that goes to Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. This is a very popular itinerary for those looking to experience some great glacier viewing.

Good luck with your decision and feel free to ask more questions. Make sure to read, read, read!! Try just browsing the topics on this Alaska board for several pages back. You are sure to find alot of your questions answered in those first 3-6 pages.

If whales and bears are your priority, July. Like the previous poster stated, you have to decided what your interests are. Alaskan cruises are expensive and July and August pretty high including all the excursions are high. But we chose a specific week in July and we were disappointed as our private exursions provided us more bears and whales that we could have ever imagined.

If whales and bears are your priority, July. Like the previous poster stated, you have to decided what your interests are. Alaskan cruises are expensive and July and August pretty high including all the excursions are high. But we chose a specific week in July and we were disappointed as our private exursions provided us more bears and whales that we could have ever imagined.

Humpback whales are seen the entire cruise season. Bear tours are peak July and August, into the first week of Sept.

Just wondering when the best time(month) is to take a cruisetour in Alaska, and which cruise line you would recommend...thanks

It isn't just a matter of best time for a "cruisetour", far more important is the cruisetour choice, itinerary and you knowing exactly the details, which most people do not. Take some time, and find out about touring Alaska. Read back reviews, head to your library, determine what your prime interests are for touring Alaska- THEN start look at cruises and cruisetours. :)

Archived