Smoke On Veendam Lower Prom. Deck?

happybeachbum

I've not been on the Veendam, but on the several HAL ships I have sailed there wasn't anything particularly "designated" about smoking areas on the LP. Ashtrays were randomly placed both port and starboard and were easily moved around as smokers or nonsmokers desired. The only time I have seen any specific directions (No Smoking) on the LP was during fueling operations.

Ok, thanks....I guess if we're sitting outside our door on the lounges, no one would light up nearby, at least I hope not.

If you guess that, then you would be dreaming (in technicolour)! ;) Whatever would make you think that just because you would be sitting outside your door on the lounges that "no one would light up nearby"? :confused:

They don't have to be next to you, just upwind. Cigarette smoke stench can travel the whole length of the promenade.

Always a nonsmoking whiner with the nose of a bloodhound somewhere. In the wind(ship moving) smoke dissipates to a few molecules per thousands over a distance of a few hundred feet on the promenade deck and could hardly be noticed by the human nose. I suspect if you politely ask a considerate smoker within close proximity to you, they will move downwind so the smoke doesn't affect you. Politeness goes along ways when trying to resolve sensitive issues.

Always a nonsmoking whiner with the nose of a bloodhound somewhere. In the wind(ship moving) smoke dissipates to a few molecules per thousands over a distance of a few hundred feet on the promenade deck and could hardly be noticed by the human nose. I suspect if you politely ask a considerate smoker within close proximity to you, they will move downwind so the smoke doesn't affect you. Politeness goes along ways when trying to resolve sensitive issues.
You get me wrong. I am happy to take the smoke into my lungs and keep the gases and particulates from polluting the atmosphere. No whine here.

You get me wrong. I am happy to take the smoke into my lungs and keep the gases and particulates from polluting the atmosphere. No whine here.

Like the ship isn't dumping out more hydrocarbons and particulates than all the smokers on border, spare me!

Why don't we have a post upon which people can tell me all the ways I can behave or not behave? Don't smoke; don't wear formal wear; wear the same pair of shorts in the dining room for the whole cruise; don't drink (or do drink); never wear a tie, etc. It would clarify expectations and allow me to please and be accepted by my fellow cruisers, which of course is my life long goal.

Okay folks, I’ve had enough. Smoking is legal. If you can’t respect another person because they fundamentally disagree with you, then it’s time both step back and take a look. Sniping and belittling others is socially unacceptable. Just because one has their opinion does not mean it’s the right or wrong opinion. This is America. We have free will and we follow the laws of the land. I would like to know how many of you actually really read the initial reports (1980’s) and questioned the conclusions and any subsequent reports. I’m betting none of you did. Each of you decided to jump on a band wagon which made you feel superior to another person—how sad you are! Enough is enough! Being a fanatic is detrimental to our way of life as a free society. The problem with fanatics is they respect no one, they force their opinions on those who don’t agree with them and they expect them to comply. Fanatics provide false data, they lie, they cheat, they steal, they say anything to further their agenda to subjugate others.

With HAL banning smoking in rooms after 1/15, I can assure you there will be more people smoking on the prominade legally.

So ominous, so threatening! Get a clue! Many, many people don't smoke in the room. Smokers have a decent respect for others--even though nonsmokers have no respect for smokers. They smoke on the balcony to keep it out of the room. But then you have the fanatics which complain about that. Like I said, enough is enough. Quite frankly, if HAL goes the way of the "elite", they will fail.

Smokers have a decent respect for others--even though nonsmokers have no respect for smokers.

Maybe you want to rephrase that: Some smokers have a decent respect for others--even though some nonsmokers have no respect for smokers.

There's usually only smoking on one side of the promenade deck anyway, so what's the problem? Unless you're on the smoking side, of course.:D

Sorry, can't remember which side.

Well, since the ashtrays are just suspended on the rails by hooks, then it is quite easy to lift them off & take them with you to whatever side you wish to (smoke) on! :rolleyes: (And I've seen it done)! :(

Archived